Concealed Carry Vests

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Vests within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many of Y'all use one of these? What brands? How is this for Spring/Summer carry?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry Vests

Concealed Carry Vests

How many of Y'all use one of these?

What brands?

How is this for Spring/Summer carry?
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
    (Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

2. Remove Ads

I think about one from time to time but always feel as if it would shout gun. Unless you carry a few cameras around your neck and a press pass people will wonder why you're wearing a vest.

Having said that, I still think there pretty cool to carry stuff in.
    Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

They kinda only work for small guns. Otherwise they go lopsided. If you keep it buttoned up all the way all the time people may thing you have a bomb strapped to you. I have a nice Ruger one. Fits the .380s and such best.

Cabelas Fleece vest gets a lot of use in the fall, winter and spring.

No vest in the summer given the heat . A square bottom shirt of some sort over a wicking t-shirt ( Target/Wal Mart/Old Navy/Mil Surplus) is my go to set up. I have found that the brands above are 80 % to 90 % as good as UnderArmour at 1/3 of the price.

Distinguished Member
    I keep a long nylon vest (displayed at Walmart near running clothing) on a hook near the door. That way I can cover up the gun that I wear around the house in an OWB pancake holster if I need to answer the door or go to mailbox or turn off a hose...etc etc.

In fact I have it on right now with a Glock 19 in an OWB and there is no sign whatsoever of the firearm. It weighs nothing and covers up extensively.

Hubby just got a cottony vest at Cabelas, in the shorts dept, not the hunting dept. Same type use, plus for hiking. It was only about $35 and came in several color choices including khaki and army green.

The other item that really works to cover up is an apron. Don't laugh, you could use this at a bbq, it works for me around the house. In fact I've worn a Sig P250 with guests for dinner and they did not notice (I don't think). Get one with long strings and wrap back around the the front, doubling up the apron where you need to. I have a lady that makes custom aprons here, and I might spec one out just for wearing with a ccw (longer on one side to get better wrap around).

Plenty of guys wear shop aprons when working on guy stuff.

A chef coat would also work nicely now that I am thinking in this kitchen and food prep direction.

As would a scrubs top. I hear they work well with Kangaroo body holsters. Lots of choices of loud prints, even better for coverup.

I'll second the fleece in the fall, my dog got ahold of mine so a couple new ones will be on the list this year.

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Fleece vests are sort of in/hip in spring and fall, but anything else--if you're not obviously going fishing--is a "shoot me first" vest.
    pro-CZ's, pro-AR's, anti-CZAR's

Vest Question...

I LOVE using a vest..... TO COVER MY HOLSTER!

I use Helly Hansen and North Face vests over a T-shirt to help conceal my Walther PK380 or my Springfield Armory XDm 9mm in Desantis and Galco leather holsters (with thumb-breaks)

They hang lower than a regular T-Shirt so it conceals better.

Thats how I use a regular Vest.
    " If you keep aiming for NOTHING, you will hit it every time! "

I use a Guide Gear leather concealed vest. It has a built in holster and mag pouches. I had it reinforced a bit and works very well with my Kimber Custom TLE II 1911. Works great for riding my Harley.
    Kimber Custom TLE II, GLOCK 30SF, GLOCK 19C, Walther PK380
    Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro (Greyhound) Holster
    Mega Arms Billet AR-15's
    NRA Member

5.11 tactical vest.
    The Geek Look.
    A small handful of pens and a AAA pen light in the left breast pocket.
    Note pad and tac light in left patch pocket (belt level)
    Ham radio talkie in the right breast pocket with a Diamond "fishing pole" antenna and a tiger tail counterpoise running across the chest or dangling vertically and ending in a water bottle pocket.
    Water bottles in the magazine pockets.
    Cell phone in the zipper pocket below the left breast pocket.
    Holstered hardware of your choice concealed yet ready to hand.
    Cooler weather will see the fleece vests emerge. I do like them!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

For us that ride a bike, the leather biker vest can be worn as a cover garmit without attracting too much attention. I have not tried it for pocket carry. I just got my first pocket holster last week.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I've got fleece vests that I wear in the spring, fall, and winter. Also a woolrich (sage) and a 5.11 (black) vest I wear at times in warmer weather. The black 5.11 works great on the Harley to cover my Kimber in an OWB holster, as it is longer than my leather biker vests. They work OK with an IWB holster, though. I only wear the tactical vest with Levi's though, never with 5.11 pants. By the way, is there any documented evidence of anyone ever being "shot first" while wearing a tactical vest (other than possible a LEO)? I bet it is just another "urban legend"
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I was thinking Vest to cover a shoulder holster with a Glock 29 or 20 10MM + a Maxpedition bag concealing my EAA Windicator .357 Magnum Snubbie.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
    (Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    By the way, is there any documented evidence of anyone ever being "shot first" while wearing a tactical vest (other than possible a LEO)? I bet it is just another "urban legend"
    I dont think that anyone is saying they will be targeted (perhaps they are), but rather that the wearer would be saying "Hey look I have shooting type HSLD gear so I may have a gun as well". We've all seen them at the range where its not out of place, but when they head over to the mall?

reminds me of this- Presenting “Geardo” | Danger Room | Wired.com
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Deep Conceal, Ultra Carry Concealed Carry Holsters

This Deep Conceal works great and does not print when wearing a shirt that is not tight like a t-shirt. My button up shirts completely hide gun and extra clip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links