High Noon - Down Under or Tailgunner?

This is a discussion on High Noon - Down Under or Tailgunner? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Which one should I get? I like the cant, so I'm not considering the Public Secret. I usually wear IWB holsters with offset loops which ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Noon - Down Under or Tailgunner?

Which one should I get? I like the cant, so I'm not considering the Public Secret. I usually wear IWB holsters with offset loops which are great for stability. I'm looking for something w/ a smaller footprint, but am worried about the wobble.

I have a good belt to wear it with. I think that the rough side out will help w/ stability. But will the "tail" of the Tailgunner really make a difference?

It'll be for my Glock 27. I have decided to go with the clip over the loops. I just don't want to wait all that time and be disappointed with a wobbly IWB holster.

Is one more comfortable than the other? Stabilty is my first concern, but I need to be able to wear this holster for 12-16 hours.

Thanks in advance!
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    My Down Under with "Ostrich" trim will be here tomorrow.

Having said that, I would love to try the Tailgunner because I've always been intrigued by the "stability wing" concept and I don't have the patience to wait 6-8 weeks to have it made.

However...I might soon be sending my Defender to Colt for some work. If this comes to be, I'll order either a Tailgunner or a Tail Gate (tuckable Tailgunner, basically) to be made while Colt has it.

I prefer the clip versions, by the way.

EDIT: Don't worry about any "wobble." I've owned three High Noons with #4 coming tomorrow and they're easily as stable as my Crossbreed SuperTuck.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Thanks Springer. I'd like to hear some more comments. I'd like to place an order today.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i own a tailgunner and its a great holster...built very well and comfortable...the leather is heavy and it makes for a thick holster but it is built like a brick ***** house...

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    i own a tailgunner and its a great holster...built very well and comfortable...the leather is heavy and it makes for a thick holster but it is built like a brick ***** house...
    Thanks for the reply. Does the tail really help to keep it from shifting around on your belt?
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Does the tail really help to keep it from shifting around on your belt?
    I'm curious about that same thing.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    EDIT: Don't worry about any "wobble." I've owned three High Noons with #4 coming tomorrow and they're easily as stable as my Crossbreed SuperTuck.
    I've owned 2 High noons and a couple of CB's. That is certainly NOT my experience. The CB's were significantly more stable than my first high-noon.

Which leads me to the point that my SECOND high-noon was a tailgunner. - It WAS indeed much better.

I'm a fat guy carrying a full sized 1911. your mileage may very.
    Heisenberg may have slept here

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy Bear View Post
    I've owned 2 High noons and a couple of CB's. That is certainly NOT my experience. The CB's were significantly more stable than my first high-noon.

Which leads me to the point that my SECOND high-noon was a tailgunner. - It WAS indeed much better.

How would you compare the stability of the Tailgunner to the CB? If I get the tailgunner it'll be for my Glock 27 (subcompact). I have a CBST for my Glock 30 that is very stable.

Also, how would you compare the comfort of the CBST to the Tailgunner?

Thanks.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Body type, along with some other factors (belt, carry position, etc...) has some bearing. I'm average/muscular build. The CBST is indeed very stable, but I'm just saying that I've never had a problem with a High Noon staying in place, either.

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    Body type ...has some bearing. I'm average/muscular build. ...I've never had a problem with a High Noon ...
    SpringerXD
    Well, yeah. I didn't mean anything personal, if that's how you took it... That's exactly why I put that last part in there.

NY 27,
    The SHORT answer is that stability/comfort is comparable. That said, there is a little bit of apples-vs-oranges going on that probably should be mentioned. The CB distributes weight across a wide section of your BELT. So, __IF__ you have a good gunbelt the tailgunner's single belt clip is not a significant disadvantage. If not, then you have to tighten your belt more than normal to keep the High-noon from wiggling. NOW, as it happens, if you DO tighten your belt, OR if you wear sturdy pants (tight jeans, or thick cotton cargo-pants, for example) then the course material of the tailguner (and the extra surface area from the actual tail surface) actually grabs onto the material of your pants. The result, (for me, at least) was that everything was so evenly distributed and it moved with me so naturally that it was the first time in my life that I ACTUALLY, HONESTLY forgot I was carrying a full sized, full weight 1911.

So, as I said, your mileage may very, but in general, if you've got a good belt, then they are both good-to-go.

And, as far as advice goes, I always figure that you can't give any more valid advice then what you do with your own money. - I haven't needed to buy a holster for myself in a while, but last year I bought two as gifts (one for my Dad, and the other for my brother). One was a high-noon, the other was a CB-ST. The only reason I chose between them was because to the details of how my family carry, and what gun they were carrying. Either of them are products I'd wear myself, or give to the people I care about.
    Heisenberg may have slept here

Thanks Fozzy. Good informative post.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

I have a "down under" for my G23, which also fits my G27 & am waiting on a "down under" Horsehide for my HK P30s.....clips for both of mine.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Why is the black version almost a hundred bucks more?????

I guess that their dye process is quite involved, jacking up the price for labor.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

SpringerXD
    Well, yeah. I didn't mean anything personal, if that's how you took it...
    No, not at all!

-miklcolt45

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links