Homemade G21SF/Tac-light Holster

This is a discussion on Homemade G21SF/Tac-light Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay. So I had long wanted to do this, but I wasn't sure if I had the skills necessary to pull it off. I'd made ...

Thread: Homemade G21SF/Tac-light Holster

Talking Homemade G21SF/Tac-light Holster

Okay. So I had long wanted to do this, but I wasn't sure if I had the skills necessary to pull it off. I'd made knife sheaths before, but prior to this project, I hadn't tried any gun holsters. While out at Friendship, IN, I gathered up the resources and set to work. I'm reminded of the saying:

"If at first you actually succeed, try not to look astonished."

I had to think long and hard about how to approach the issue of fit, retention, and of course, aesthetics and practicality. I finally settled on a boxy pancake design that would hold the weapon securely and still relinquish the thing when I needed it. I also had to be able to live with how it looked as an ugly holster is anathema to my very existence.

Yes, the piece is rather "rough around the edges", but so am I. I appreciate the look of "primitive utilitarian" and I guess I accomplished that rather well. I could have trimmed a bit more, taken greater care around the turns, and given more attention to the beltloop holes as well I suppose, but for a first attempt, I'm ecstatic!

The pattern of "flecking" on the leather is from the boning process, namely my fingernails. The finish was simple enough, KIWI Black Shoe Polish, with a layer of Neutral Polish over that. I like the instant antique I managed to get with that combination.

I used the Ringed Razel (reviewed elsewhere on this Forum by me) to cut the leather, and I am pleased to report that the handy little knife performed better than expected. It turned out that the cutting was by far the easiest stage of the building process because of the unique design of the knife. Ring-assisted push-cuts made all the difference.

Retention is REALLY good, but that's one of the benefits of using a pancake design. When worn, this holster does not give up the gun unless you know exactly how to draw it, which I am getting much better at doing.

The size of the thing is...well...big. Surprisingly, it can disappear quite easily when I untuck the seen Dickie's work shirt. This will be my EDC in the wintertime, but I'm having fun breaking it in now. The grip tucks against my side like a supporting hand, and so far I haven't had too many "bumps and bangs".

I have already begun on a matching magazine pouch, and pictures of it's completion will also be shown.

This is the gun I have wanted to carry in it's complete form since I first started mentally mapping it out in Fallujah, Iraq:

This is the weapon I wish I could have carried over there, and now I can do so in the comfort of the US of A. The Glock 21 Short Frame with the GTL10 needed a place on my hip, and now it has a home right where it belongs.

Tell me what you think! Criticisms and nay-saying welcome!

Last edited by EvilMonk; July 1st, 2010 at 10:09 PM.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

2. Remove Ads

How'd you accomplish the stitching? and did you tke any pics of its progress along the way?
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

Senior Moderator
    It works!

In the big scheme of things, that's all that matters.

Yeah, its a bit rough, but I like it. Good start!
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by YFZsandrider View Post
    How'd you accomplish the stitching? and did you take any pics of its progress along the way?
    The stitching was done by first perforating the leather with a tool that kind of looks like a small fork. As you pound this "fork" into the leather, you are left with four little holes. You simply line up the "tine" of the tool with the last hole and pound again. Eventually, you get a solid line of holes where you want your stitches to be. Then it is just a tedious matter of going over the line of holes not once, but twice with the thread to complete the stitching.

Oh, and no. I didn't take any "during" pictures. Friendship, IN is kind of an out of the way sort of place that doesn't even have cell phone reception. That's a plus in my book, but it sort of limits the amount of high-end tech you can cart along for the duration. Perhaps I'll do the work-in-progress pictures for the magazine pouch...?

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Hey, if it works, then great!

It's probably difficult to bone the leather to the gun, with the light attached.

The stitching looks great
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    It's probably difficult to bone the leather to the gun, with the light attached.
    Actually, that was fairly easy. I used the sheath to the Razel, covered it with some deer hide as a buffer, and "traced" the shape with the flat end. Worked out just fine.

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    good first start buddy!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

You made it. It works. What else do you need
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Links