5.11 Thumbdrive holster? anyone have experience?

This is a discussion on 5.11 Thumbdrive holster? anyone have experience? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been thinking about buying one of these for my G19 for days when I go hiking or to the range and I want to ...

Thread: 5.11 Thumbdrive holster? anyone have experience?

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar

5.11 Thumbdrive holster? anyone have experience?

I've been thinking about buying one of these for my G19 for days when I go hiking or to the range and I want to OC. Or even for use in the winter.

I'm tired of the Serpa CQC's because it feels like the gun is 2 feet from my hip and it really pulls on my belt compared to other holsters.

So can anyone report good things about them?

5.11 Tactical Thumbdrive Holster NOW AVAILABLE! <~~~More Photos Here.

YouTube - 5.11 Thumb Drive Holster - field tested by Viking Tactics

pic added qks

2. Remove Ads

I purchased one of these last week. Now keep in mind that I am a Forensics Investigator and did not purchase it for Concealed Carry. I purchased it because it is a level 2 holster that I can carry at work that still has some of the retention I like.

Just for reference I am carrying a Glock 23 in it. Overall I love the holster. It is probably one of the best I have had in my opinion. I have tried the Serpa and Safariland ALS holsters (with the hood and hidden thumb release). I like the 5.11 because the thumb release button is in a natural position where your thumb ends up when you draw a gun. Also if someone tries to pull your gun out before hitting the thumb release the weapon will not come out (even if they hit the thumb release after) until you push the weapon back in and release it. I do like that it comes with the belt slide mount or the paddle and have the option of purchasing the thigh rig later. I also like the removable "chop block" that would block anyone from hitting the thumb release from a front grab (again maybe not as needed for concealed carry but it is removable).

I am using the paddle and it is very secure and I do not think it would come out if pulled. My opinion is that it does stick out a little to far for concealment but I have not tried it with the belt mount to see if that brings it in any more.

As far as durability, I think it is great. I have scrubbed it against several surfaces and thought that I just marred it but upon inspection it is still in great shape.

The only con I can find is that I was hoping the bottom (where the barrel sticks out) was open so that I might could also use it with a Glock 22 but it is closed on the bottom and will only hold my 23.

If you haven't already seen it, go to youtube and search 5.11 thumb drive and Viking Tactics. I believe they helped design it and in their videos I think they are all using it concealed.

Link: YouTube - 5.11 Thumb Drive Holster - field tested by Viking Tactics

Hope this helps and stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by TCaron View Post
    I purchased one of these last week. Now keep in mind that I am a Forensics Investigator and did not purchase it for Concealed Carry. I purchased it because it is a level 2 holster that I can carry at work that still has some of the retention I like.

Just for reference I am carrying a Glock 23 in it. Overall I love the holster. It is probably one of the best I have had in my opinion. I have tried the Serpa and Safariland ALS holsters (with the hood and hidden thumb release). I like the 5.11 because the thumb release button is in a natural position where your thumb ends up when you draw a gun. Also if someone tries to pull your gun out before hitting the thumb release the weapon will not come out (even if they hit the thumb release after) until you push the weapon back in and release it. I do like that it comes with the belt slide mount or the paddle and have the option of purchasing the thigh rig later. I also like the removable "chop block" that would block anyone from hitting the thumb release from a front grab (again maybe not as needed for concealed carry but it is removable).

I am using the paddle and it is very secure and I do not think it would come out if pulled. My opinion is that it does stick out a little to far for concealment but I have not tried it with the belt mount to see if that brings it in any more.

As far as durability, I think it is great. I have scrubbed it against several surfaces and thought that I just marred it but upon inspection it is still in great shape.

The only con I can find is that I was hoping the bottom (where the barrel sticks out) was open so that I might could also use it with a Glock 22 but it is closed on the bottom and will only hold my 23.

If you haven't already seen it, go to youtube and search 5.11 thumb drive and Viking Tactics. I believe they helped design it and in their videos I think they are all using it concealed.

Link: YouTube - 5.11 Thumb Drive Holster - field tested by Viking Tactics

Hope this helps and stay safe.
    Great info! just a couple questions, did you remove the chop block or leave it on?

And do you think the holster could be concealed in the winter under a big coat?

No problem.

I left the chop block on just because of the non-concealed and being an LEO and I wanted to leave it in case someone were to try and disarm me it would definitely help. The chop block comes off when you switch out the mounting options which is just with three phillips head screws on the back. Very easy to change out the paddle to belt and remove the chop block.

Under a large coat, yes I do think it would be concealable. It also appears to me that it would be a little more concealable with the belt slide mount instead of the paddle that I run.

Just let me know if you have any other questions will help out anyway I can.

Quote Originally Posted by TCaron View Post
    No problem.

I left the chop block on just because of the non-concealed and being an LEO and I wanted to leave it in case someone were to try and disarm me it would definitely help. The chop block comes off when you switch out the mounting options which is just with three phillips head screws on the back. Very easy to change out the paddle to belt and remove the chop block.

Under a large coat, yes I do think it would be concealable. It also appears to me that it would be a little more concealable with the belt slide mount instead of the paddle that I run.

Just let me know if you have any other questions will help out anyway I can.
    awesome thanks, I think I'll pick one up while lapolicegear is having their 15% off sale.

Is $49.99 a respectable price?

I paid $47 and the catalogs I have seen list them for $50 plus shipping. We get a small discount for LEO's so I am sure it was $50 minus discount. I purchased mine at Safe Industries in Piedmont SC (in store).

Safe Industries

VIP Member
    I'd like to try one but unfortunately, they only make it for the Glock 17/22, 19/23, and 34/35.

But then again, maybe that's a good excuse to buy a new handgun?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I carry something similar from DeSantis. It is a paddle though, but with my heavy belt it is snug tight and the weapon is secure.

I like the style of these holsters for the security.

Links