How many of you non office dwelling desk jockies have broken your holster?

This is a discussion on How many of you non office dwelling desk jockies have broken your holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need to make my 3rd replacement shell this weekend for my Supertuck style holster. Broke at the same place as the last 2, inboard ...

Thread: How many of you non office dwelling desk jockies have broken your holster?

How many of you non office dwelling desk jockies have broken your holster?

I need to make my 3rd replacement shell this weekend for my Supertuck style holster.

Broke at the same place as the last 2, inboard fold along the slide. Lasts about a year with laying and rolling around on them. (field service mechanic, wear holster 15 hours a day, 7 days a week, 60 work hours a week).

Going to try to add some reinforcement at that fold this time.

Using .060 Kydex to keep the holster as thin as possible. .125" for the belt clips. I go through about 3 front and rear per year.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I broke plastic clips on the supertuck frequently. I then bent several of the metal clips, but they ARE better.

Also bent a metal clip on a Desantis IWB.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I broke the upper paddle portion on a blackhawk serpa holster a couple of years back. I was not impressed with how it held up so I replaced it with a safariland holster. I just passed the one year mark and it is holding up beautifully. Sorry to hear about the supertuck constantly breaking. Perhaps you can have a custom leather maker attach a leather holster rather than a kydex shell. It may hold up better that way.
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

Smile Broken Holster

Get a good leather holster. When something gives out go see an established shoe repair shop. Or as I did when my original Urban Skinner kept slicing through the thread on its sheath. After the second time I went to an Amish holster maker. He sewed it up and fifteen years later still not a problem.

Leather don't break
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Leather don't break
    Leather broke.

Removed the old shell. I had a crack in the leather on the gun side right along where the slide of the pistol sits. Not to mention the salt formations from my sweat. Leather was well formed and comfortable, also very stiff and brittle where the gun sits.

Short on time so I used a .090" Kydex shell I made a long time ago and cut a new leather backing. Damn I hate breaking in new leather. Printing really bad.

Still need to make some minor tweaks to the ride to match up to the pistol formed dents in my kidney area, and adjust the retention. I got spoiled working with the thinner Kydex. The thicker stuff takes quite a while longer to cool and hold form.

I may have to order a horse hide from Cross Breed and put a new shell on it (they don't make a holster for my carry, and I don't like the lack of full slide/barrel coverage).
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I have a Brommeland Max Con V for 5" 1911 that I've been wearing all day, damn near everyday, for almost 7 years. Not only has it not broken, but it still looks really good (my Melonized 1911 that rides in it shows more finish wear). All I've done for maintenance on the thing, in all those years, is to blow out the interior with compressed air, to get rid of dust bunnies. That thing is good to go for many more years, I'm sure, and the cost of the holster, amortized over those years, makes it really inexpensive, too. I think you'll find that a top a quality leather IWB will serve you well, for many years, without breaking.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Links