Alessi ‘Deep Concealment’ Initial Review

This is a discussion on Alessi ‘Deep Concealment’ Initial Review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; J ust received an Alessi ‘Deep Concealment’ holster and my initial impression is pretty good. The holster is of a utilitarian design so don’t expect ...

Thread: Alessi ‘Deep Concealment’ Initial Review

VIP Member

Alessi ‘Deep Concealment’ Initial Review

Just received an Alessi ‘Deep Concealment’ holster and my initial impression is pretty good. The holster is of a utilitarian design so don’t expect show quality esthetics.

Build: The construction is a medium weight cowhide with the semi-smooth side out and incorporates a slim-line plastic clip. The clip fits well on my 1-1/4 inch conventional dress belt, though I can’t see it fitted to a thicker gun belt as the slot is fairly narrow. This works Ok for me since I don’t use a heavy belt for conceal carry. I simply don’t care for the added bulk and discomfort on my waistline and I only ‘cc’ j-frames that average 25-ounces loaded. On the plus side, the thinner clip has a good hook and this allows the holster to be worn in between your belt and the pants. In fact, I’m wearing it in this manner right now.

Fit: As with any new leather holster, the initial fit is tight as it should be. Overnight, the holster had already taken form, as its still rather moist from production. BTW: I don’t recommend any treatments that may speed up the process. This includes the exterior surfaces as the color hasn't cured yet and it will rub off.

My S&W 640-3 fits quite well with a slight undercut relief to accommodate a full hand grab without the middle knuckle interference that is fairly common with some holsters. Though this exposes the backside of the trigger guard, it doesn’t expose the trigger itself. The holster end is closed which protects the barrel from dings and snags though some may wish to drill a side hole vent for carbon steel guns. The clip is a patented design by Alessi and it seems well made but the corners are a bit sharper than I care for. One could easily soften those down with a file or Dremel tool. Anyway, I wear it at the 12:30 – 1:00 position with ease. This holster truly is for deep concealment and my only advice is to use care when working the clip fastener. The finish I ordered is brown and has a semi-flat tone. It’s not going to win any beauty contests but after all it is a concealable holster. Try and resist the temptation of applying any polish for a while as it will rub off the color until it cures.

Customer Service:
    Well, you're pretty much on your own as my call and email was never answered. However, if you know what you want and don't mind the wait, then the holster will arrive on scheduled as posted.

Summary: For those considering a practical waistband carry at a reasonable price, this holster is seemingly a good value. It took almost 8-weeks to the day for delivery but so far I feel it was well worth it. Only time will tell how durable it truly is so I’ll post an update at a later point. On the proverbial 10-scale, I rate the holster and the company with a combined score of ‘eight ’.

Design: 9
    Quality: 8
    Function: 9
    Value: 10
    Shipping: 10
    Customer Service: 4

Regards,
    Dan
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Saber; July 4th, 2010 at 12:46 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    FWIW, that clip is not designed to go over the belt, it goes on the pants with the belt over it. Lou and I had a few discussions about the "Talon Clip" and that is how it's intended to be used. Works like a charm also!

VIP Member
    Thanks for the information. This tidbit is useful although I sure don’t recall seeing any reference to this on the Alessi website or elsewhere for that matter. I guess its either common, or not so common knowledge. Ironically, I thought about this attachment method when I noticed the narrow slot, but I simply blew it off. Anyway, I just fitted the holster to my pants in the manner recommended and it places the gun a tad lower for better concealment. Frankly, it's too early to tell if I actually like this arrangement but it is what it is.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar

VIP Member
    Here I thought I spent a lot of time on here but I just re-read that post and sure enough, you most certainly did. Dang if I recall that topic, but I should have figured it out when I looked at it. As I said, it crossed my mind briefly and poof it was gone.

The clip works as intended although not so well on my all steel 640. The 25-ounce package is too much weight for the waistband in terms of comfort, and I have to cinch the belt tighter than a cats meow. Its much more useable when clipped on my thin dress belt.
    ~ Stephen King

Sweet holster. Wear it well. I really like the grips on your 640. Right now mine has Uncle Mike's boot grips. The next larger size I have ever been able to find was always too large. The grips that you have look to be the perfect size. Are they S&W grips?
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

los
    Well written review, Saber. THANKS for the 4-1-1.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Sweet holster. Wear it well. I really like the grips on your 640. Right now mine has Uncle Mike's boot grips. The next larger size I have ever been able to find was always too large. The grips that you have look to be the perfect size. Are they S&W grips?
    Yes, PM to follow ~
    Dan
    ~ Stephen King

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Here I thought I spent a lot of time on here but I just re-read that post and sure enough, you most certainly did. Dang if I recall that topic, but I should have figured it out when I looked at it. As I said, it crossed my mind briefly and poof it was gone.

The clip works as intended although not so well on my all steel 640. The 25-ounce package is too much weight for the waistband in terms of comfort, and I have to cinch the belt tighter than a cats meow. Its much more useable when clipped on my thin dress belt.
    Saber, if you have an airweight or lighter, it should work fine as intended....

Links