shoulder holster design and fit questions

This is a discussion on shoulder holster design and fit questions within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; google brought me to this site. i've been reading alot of good info here. all i can say is WOW! this is the one to ...

Thread: shoulder holster design and fit questions

shoulder holster design and fit questions

google brought me to this site. i've been reading alot of good info here. all i can say is WOW! this is the one to surf.

although i'm not new to firearms, being an avid hunter for most of my life. i am new to self defence weapons. i've been practicing some basic sd handgun techniques. as such, i have taken my state required classes and applied for my cpl. currently waiting for the mailman. i'm also going to take some formal training classes. the more i learn about self defence the less i find out i know.

my main motivation besides living in the detroit metro area, is to have abit more than a bow and buck knife while i'm in one of michigans deep dark swamps. believe me when i say that my guardian angle has stepped in more than once.

for a first sd weapon i chose a smith M&P compact in .357sig. very happy with this tool.

i'm considering a shoulder holster for my hunting carry. mainly for comfort and also to help keep the sticks, dirt and pine needles out of the action. it will be carried under heavy jackets and/or sweatshirts and most always over several underlayers.

price is allways a concern, but shelling out my hard earned economy stimulators for a holster that fits my needs is acceptable.

my questions are as follows:

i'll be spending all day in this rig running an obstacle course. what is more comfortable. leather or nylon?

i'm sure the strenght of this rig will be tested during the course of hunting.

nylon or leather straping?

metel or is some kind of nylon hardware acceptable for durability?

the question of vertical or horizional comes to play during bow hunting. i'm a right handed bow shooter. as such, when shooting the bow leaning from a treestand bending at the waist. i'm concernd that the leftside underarm holster will dangle and block the bowstring during release. also a mass of twigs and pine needles find there way down the neck opening during the days hunt.
    at 6.7 inches the weapon is only an inch longer than handle height. i 'm 6'0 and have a 46 inch chest and growing (pie is good). with heavy clothing, i think i can get away with horizional carry. which mite be better for under the sweatshirt draw.

what are your thoughts??

i forsee in the future a .44+ caliber snubbie finding it's way into my hunting holster probably next year.
    are there models available that have holsters that can be changed out for another style gun?

i've only looked at a few online so far. having some idea what to look for will be alot of help. it'll also go better at my local shop when i don't have to open several packages and scan the salespersons memory banks at 10 minutes to closing.

have i overlooked anything pertinent?

thanks for your input .....

2. Remove Ads

holster needs are so oooo personal. Rather than a shoulder holster (which gets in the way of backpack straps ect...in the deep woods....maybe a chest holster may be better. All the advice we can give you will be like shooting in the dark actually. YOU know what will work for YOU. Here is a couple of links to stimulate your search for the perfect (for you) rig:

SURVIVAL SHEATH SYSTEMS : Kydex Shoulder and Chest Holsters check both the chest holster and the "off duty chest raider".

http://www.simplyrugged.com/store/ check the "chesty puller". Simply rugged holsters are just that RUGGED. The chesty puller at $55 plus cost of holster that can be used OWB is pretty inexpensive also.

Your questions: Leather, leather, leather. Then kydex and last nylon. Just my opinion. Under a coat and with shoulder straps adjusted properly it is not going to move enuff to bother your bow.

Happy hunting.
    Last edited by Horsetrader; July 4th, 2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: add additional links
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

that a good point horsetrader, i forgot about the safty harnesses for my treestands that buckel over my chest. mite be a problem with the chest holsters. but i like the idea for when i'm not playing tree monkey.

i do carry a pack. i have a OC bandolier for my scoped hunting handgun thats rides high on my hip. really doesn't interfear with my pack straps. they actually hold the gun tighter to my body.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    While I exclusively used a leather shoulder rig for my .41 Blackhawk in Alaska, shoulder harnesses weren't a concern like you mention. I found it very confortable, accessible and secure. Elastic straps made it very flexible. They did wear out after a while, but replacement straps can be found at any fabric store. Maybe a canted crossdraw would work for you.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Check out Pacific Canvas and Leather for their Tanker holsters. I bought one for biking and for use during hunting season and I like it. If you are backpacking, the "Tanker" style holster tends to stay out of the way of the pack straps. That being said, if you are carrying a pack, straps get in the way! A SWAT team style thigh rig may raise an eyebrow or two, but they are practical with a backpack. Otherwise, the Tanker tyle holster is not a bad idea.

For a SD weapon while out hunting, I'd also recommend a tactical style "drop-leg" holster. Easier to access, won't get in the way of your bow, won't get tangled up while climbing into a treestand, and can be found very cheaply (you will get what you pay for though.)

If this will also be used for CC though, I'd recommend a Galco Miami Classic instead. I've been wearing them on and off since 2004, and for me, I believe they're the finest "off the rack" shoulder holster available. I've used them to conceal an H&K USP .45 full-size, a Glock 23, and currently a Glock 17. To the best of my knowledge, I've never drawn a second glance while wearing it and 2 spare magazines on my strong side, and none of those are what anyone would consider a small handgun.

For concealment, leather. And if it's just for hunting, I'd probably lean towards nylon or kydex. Nylon is washable, and kydex is easily wiped clean. If you scratch or scuff up either of those two while out in the woods, you're probably not going to care as much about them than if you'd scratched or scuffed up the more expensive leather option.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    For a SD weapon while out hunting, I'd also recommend a tactical style "drop-leg" holster. Easier to access, won't get in the way of your bow, won't get tangled up while climbing into a treestand, and can be found very cheaply (you will get what you pay for though.)

If this will also be used for CC though, I'd recommend a Galco Miami Classic instead. I've been wearing them on and off since 2004, and for me, I believe they're the finest "off the rack" shoulder holster available. I've used them to conceal an H&K USP .45 full-size, a Glock 23, and currently a Glock 17. To the best of my knowledge, I've never drawn a second glance while wearing it and 2 spare magazines on my strong side, and none of those are what anyone would consider a small handgun.

For concealment, leather. And if it's just for hunting, I'd probably lean towards nylon or kydex. Nylon is washable, and kydex is easily wiped clean. If you scratch or scuff up either of those two while out in the woods, you're probably not going to care as much about them than if you'd scratched or scuffed up the more expensive leather option.
    The man is right on all accounts. I own two Miami Classics - they are extremely good holsters for many situations.

Links