clips or loops ?

clips or loops ?

This is a discussion on clips or loops ? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm doing research and would like to ask,which is better in your opinion and why?which is more stable? easier to get on and off? thanks. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clips or loops ?

clips or loops ?

I'm doing research and would like to ask,which is better in your opinion and why?which is more stable? easier to get on and off? thanks. sj

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    I prefer IWB, and with it, clips. They do not require threading the belt onto the hoster, so are easier to put on and take off. When OWB, I prefer loops because the lay flat, but are a bit more work to Don and remove.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

I prefer clips by far. I wore a High Noon Public Secret for about a year and that was rarely with a belt. But even with a belt, it was much easier to clip it on or off and go.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I have both, and like both styles. For clips, I like the metal J-Clips.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

The question is left kind of open as to what type of clips and what type of loops. Some holsters actually have loops that clip over your belt....of course they are not full loops, but open at a point. Regular clip holsters like I'm thinking of when you say 'clip' (the single spring metal ones slip over...slip off) are for the birds in my opinion. Others like the High Noon 'C' clip or 'J' hook design keep their place better and are more like a loop...actually hooks over and under the belt. You don't need to thread your belt through, but they are not as easy to get off as to put on. Some folks like the MTac or Crossbreed holsters. They are nice, and they employ two plastic clips which also hook under the belt very effectively. Here is where the two clips are better than one, and mainly necessary for the size of the holster and concealment. A holster with loops (enclosed completely), is going to require you thread your belt through it and locate around belt loops on your pants. The loop holsters are not the easiest ones to get on and off. Not many IWB holsters will have loops. Those that do are usually snap over closures, and middle ground for the ease of putting on and taking off. Some do very well with a different type of single clip that's very stable (such as the Galco SkyOps). This is where you think about and plan your itinerary and your carry accordingly. This is why so many of us have so many holsters. How about holsters with no clips and no loops? I went fishing today in the middle of the White river with my G27 in a Remora holster appendix style They went under water with me every time I did or the water got above my waist. I wear this a lot, and it always stays wherever I put it. Easier than anything else to put on or take off IMO. All my other holsters were chosen for specific reasons no matter what their method of attachment may be. I learn and work with them so it takes minimal effort for me to put on and take off with pistol. IMO....any holster that would make it necessary for you to remove your pistol from it before removing the holster itself isn't worth having. Just keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    I prefer IWB, and with it, clips. They do not require threading the belt onto the hoster, so are easier to put on and take off. When OWB, I prefer loops because the lay flat, but are a bit more work to don and remove.
    I knew there were words that could save me some typing. Not sure for the proper use, but...don and doff= put on and take off? Yep...just Googled it. Not sure it would have gone over well here on the forum. May have raised suspicions with the younger crowd.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Loops, if it's easy to take on and off, It's easy to take on and off of YOU!!!!

My IWB's are all clips...easy on/off.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good clips are great - I hate threading a belt. Plenty of times where I need to run to the store and wanna slip something on quick. A holster with loops would get passed over every time in favor of one with quick clips.

Comp-Tac's expensive clips are worth every penny for my homebuilts.

Loops = security and retention.
    Clips = easy on and off.

Take your pick!

I like clips,my only problem with the metal ones is they are made for 1 3/4" belts and I wear 1 1/2" so they shift a little.Kydex on the other hand are made to the width of the belt.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Loops all the way, they are harder to get off which is the whole idea. You want to draw your gun, not the holster.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Loops definitely. I definitely feel more comfortable with leather loops on an IWB than clips or hooks.

I think Pure Kustom nailed it, if it's easier for you to get it on and off, it's easier for someone else to get it off you.

As for Ramrod and his mention of Remora holsters, I concur, I bought one Saturday for a 5" 1911, and I'm amazed by this thing. It just doesn't move unless you want it to. I can pull and reholster my gun easily, and I can apparently wear it with anything from jeans to sweatpants (testing the sweats right now, been wearing it under them for about 4 hours and it's very stable. )
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    Some loops can be a bit bulky...some clips can be a bit weak....then again, some loops have a lower profile and some clips are super strong....so it depends on what clips and what loops...:)

Quote Originally Posted by LoveLeather View Post
    ... it depends on what clips and what loops...:)
    Yup

It hasn't been my experience at all that the clips will come off easily. But like others have said, it depends on the type of clip. The High Noon types totally surround the belt, not like the old "J" types that just hook up under it.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links