Null "SMZ" Shoulder Holster (*photos & videos*) - Page 2

Null "SMZ" Shoulder Holster (*photos & videos*)

This is a discussion on Null "SMZ" Shoulder Holster (*photos & videos*) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for the review but i tried a " pull thro " sh back in the 80s ( its not a new idea you know ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Null "SMZ" Shoulder Holster (*photos & videos*)

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Thanks for the review but i tried a " pull thro " sh back in the 80s ( its not a new idea you know ) and hated it , iirc i left it in my desk drawer at a dept. that i moved on from ( a gift for whateaver sucker they hired next lol )
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

The SMZ is a neat design. Very minimalist, very lightweight.

I`ve had a SMZ for my Kahr P40 for a few years. The draw is smooth and easy once you get used to it and it easily conceals the gun under just a lightweight over shirt. The one buckle prints a little too much for me under just a T shirt. For me I find that the single strap rides up my neck a little in the back unless the shirt I wear it over has a collar. I`d love to try one with a lightweight figure 8 harness. It`s still a pretty good special purpose rig just the way it is though. Marcus

Quote Originally Posted by mkeBob
    Excellent thread, pics & videos. Looks like a great rig. The only thing I don't care for is the muzzle up format, but with the strap going around behind the trigger it should be safe to carry in condition one.
    Well done Jimmy!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks mkeBob. You're definitely on-point regarding the trigger guard. I have absolutely no problem carrying the SMZ as I demonstrate in the short video clips.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave James
    Thats a great rig, know one officer who carrys his J frame in his version for it,, Vid's seem to show a very smooth draw, but firing it with that hold is going to sting,, at lest for the first one out
    Good eye Dave James! I've worked on the draw all week. Got it down right now. Now,.. if I could only draw my Kimber Ultra Carry that quickly out of my OWB Holster....

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    Thanks for the review but i tried a " pull thro " sh back in the 80s ( its not a new idea you know ) and hated it , iirc i left it in my desk drawer at a dept. that i moved on from ( a gift for whateaver sucker they hired next lol )
    Sorry it didn't work out for you. SH carry isn't for everyone, that's for sure. BTW, ..you got any more holsters you wanna get rid of????

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brommeland
    The SMZ is a neat design. Very minimalist, very lightweight.
    Extremely lightweight to say the least. Mark Garrity is building a custom leather SH rig for me. It probably won't be as light as the SMZ, but it'll be a work of Art!.

Nothing beats the look, feel and smell of a deep boned leather holster!!

But you know all about that,..don't you Gary?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus
    I`ve had a SMZ for my Kahr P40 for a few years. The draw is smooth and easy once you get used to it and it easily conceals the gun under just a lightweight over shirt. The one buckle prints a little too much for me under just a T shirt. For me I find that the single strap rides up my neck a little in the back unless the shirt I wear it over has a collar. I`d love to try one with a lightweight figure 8 harness. It`s still a pretty good special purpose rig just the way it is though. Marcus
    Hello Mark. So far I've had no problems with uncomfortable wear. My Seecamp probably weighs half (13oz loaded) of what your P40 did. Therein may have lied the problem.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I saw and used this holster back in the mid 80's. The gun was a ppk and found this gun to be a bit heavy for the harness. I think a figure 8 harness would work for a heavier gun. I have been thinking about trying one for my PM9 because it light. If I remember the smz is for da pistols

Assistant Administrator
    Jimmy - Ken got mine out fast - and it came today.

However thus far I am finding the poppers will not engage - and am wondering if this one is genuinely for an R9. Just will not do up.

I shall try to speak to Ken tomorrow on this and see what he says. Rather like it in black - will get to pics sometime or other.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    thanks los....
    Does he make one for GLOCK 33, 26, 27?
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    .....I am finding the poppers will not engage - and am wondering if this one is genuinely for an R9. Just will not do up.

I shall try to speak to Ken tomorrow on this and see what he says. Rather like it in black - will get to pics sometime or other.
    Really sorry to hear this. May I recommend you try to snap it together without the R9 in place. Do it a few times and then give it a try it with the R9 on. Bet it looks pretty nice in Black.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dimmak
    thanks los....
    Does he make one for GLOCK 33, 26, 27?
    Not sure it's offered for those specific firearms. I would suggest you call Ken to get accurate information and recommendations. Null does sell other SH models for many types of handguns.

Assistant Administrator
    Jimmy - it was ordered as for R9 and is billed as such - I wonder tho if he had checked with a gun inside. I strikes me it could be same sizing as yours. Problem is no stretch - and so even if doing up and undoing with no gun - nothing is gonna give.

The discrepancy between male and female popper is I guess very close to being 1/4" and so no hope of getting a connection.

I'll try and catch him tomorrow.
    Chris - P95

..The discrepancy between male and female popper is I guess very close to being 1/4" and so no hope of getting a connection.
    Seems like there's too much discrepancy indeed. Doesn't sound like it's the right sized Rig. I'm sure Ken will make it right for you.

Please let me know that you reached an amicable solution.

-Jimmy

Assistant Administrator
    Jimmy - spoke with Ken today - he kindly called me back after I left a message.

Seems all is well but - I had noticed your gun was secured behind the trigger - and tried the same - turns out with the R9 I have to use the space in front of trigger!!!! I'd actually prefer it your way - but no problem really.

It would take a massive amount of effort to move trigger anywhere near enough to be unsafe and providing the twist to release is made brisk then it releases fine.

I'll try and take a pic later and post - just as a comparison to go with your pics.
    Chris - P95

Jimmy - spoke with Ken today - he kindly called me back after I left a message.

Seems all is well but - I had noticed your gun was secured behind the trigger - and tried the same - turns out with the R9 I have to use the space in front of trigger!!!! I'd actually prefer it your way - but no problem really.

It would take a massive amount of effort to move trigger anywhere near enough to be unsafe and providing the twist to release is made brisk then it releases fine.

I'll try and take a pic later and post - just as a comparison to go with your pics.
    That's great news! I think my Seecamp trigger pull is around 10-11 Llbs, so I'm with you feeling safe it won't inadvertanly be engaged.

I read somewhere (on this Forum, i think) that the Best Trigger Safety on any Handgun, ...is your Finger (i'm badly paraphrasing )

Can't wait to see it.

Congrats again.

Assistant Administrator
    Well - R9 pull is a butter smooth mere 7 lbs but still - the more I have tried this with empty gun the more I am totally at ease with it. As I said, it is the twist which really does the job and that is just a knack to practice.

OK Jimmy - a quick pic - you'll see the black has in fact a white underside but I do quite like it - not of course gonna conceal too good under a white shirt! But I do not wear those

Chris - P95

Sir, you're one hell of a photographer! That's a great looking Rig. Looks like Leather, in Black.

You got me thinking (where's the Tylenol) that maybe I've got my Seecamp holstered wrong by loop going through and under the Trigger??). Of course, it's working just fine with the method I'm using.

BTW, ...I think you can un-buckle and turn the Straps over in case one day you decide to wear it under a white dress shirt. The actual [black]Holster would be hidden by your arm most of the time.
    Last edited by los; June 23rd, 2006 at 04:22 PM.

Assistant Administrator
    I guess I could reverse straps but actual holster still dark - anyways - not a prob I'd anticipate! Most likely this will be BUG use in cooler times of year - in summer I go pocket or ankle (if the shorts not on of course )

I'd say if your behind-trigger location works - great - in safety terms better than in front, but as I said not enough to matter IMO if release technique done properly. I reckon if yours works well then good to go - and your vids (thx again for those) pretty much showed how successful that is.
    Chris - P95

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links