One holster for both 4" and 4 1/2"

This is a discussion on One holster for both 4" and 4 1/2" within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For IWB use, would a holster for the 4 1/2" slide be ok to use both guns, or would the muzzle/toe squash down when the ...

Thread: One holster for both 4" and 4 1/2"

One holster for both 4" and 4 1/2"

For IWB use, would a holster for the 4 1/2" slide be ok to use both guns, or would the muzzle/toe squash down when the 4" is seated?

2. Remove Ads

I don't think it would be a Problem

When i have my 1911sc which is 4 1/4 i would carry it in the holster for my 5" all the time

Of course it could be dependent on who made the holster hopefully

Gary or Mark will jump in and have something to say

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    i use longer iwb for shorter similar sized guns all the time with no issues , if the nose of the holster does happen to flatten a bit it doesnt hurt a thing.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Like others, I bought G17/22 holsters (we already own both guns) with the express intent that I will also buy a G23 and use the same holster. Longer is not a problem, where a shorter holster could be a problem with the longer gun.

Gary Brommeland gave me an unequivocal NO when I asked this same question. The shorter gun in a long holster will result in collapsing of the empty area and also each of his holster designs are different for each size of pistol. The design is dictated by comfort, safety and durability issues.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Definitely a NO for any quality leather IWB, kydex would not be a problem as it shouldn't crush.

Tony at Milt Sparks also recommended not to use shorter guns in longer IWB leather holsters as he said the leather would deform at the muzzle over time, making holstering of the longer handgun difficult and cause wear to the leather in that area.

Like David III stated, once the muzzle of a leather holster collaspes around the shorter pistol it will make reholstering of the longer firearm more difficult. This may especially be true in AZ, where our slightly warm weather can cause a well-worn leather holster to get moist. It may actually mold itself around the muzzle of the shorter gun if worn for an extended period in such conditions, and you'd essentially have a closed bottom holster.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Maybe this is more a climate issue.

In MA we usually only get 20-30 days/year >80F, so heat isn't a real big issue. I have a lot of holsters (who doesn't?) and most of the time they are sitting empty in the safe. Currently only one gun sits in a holster full-time and that holster is custom to that particular gun.

I'm not likely to see any crushing of holster ends in my lifetime. Now if a buddy who escaped to AZ gets his way and convinces me to move there, this could change.

I carry a 3 inch 1911 in an IWB holster designed for a 3.5 inch 1911, from galco. The muzzle portion of the holster has formed to my Kimber due to the missing length and the hot weather here in Louisiana. It would be almost imposible to get a longer barreled gun into it now.

Links