Which belt ? - Page 2

Which belt ?

This is a discussion on Which belt ? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Picked up a Dickies brand belt in Walmart while waiting for a Looper belt I ordered. Loope came in about 3 weeks ago and have ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which belt ?

Picked up a Dickies brand belt in Walmart while waiting for a Looper belt I ordered. Loope came in about 3 weeks ago and have noy used it yet. The Dickies works just fine.

I make recommendations on gun belts based upon what the user will be carrying. The heavier handguns require more rigidity to properly stabilize them and support the weight without drooping or allowing the holster to tip out from the body. Lightweight handguns require less. Belts made of lighter weight materials, and thin belts in general, usually end up being tightened excessively in an attempt to stabilize the holstered handgun, and this causes comfort problems.

I make 3 styles of belts, each with different capacities and characteristics. My single-layer belts are made of 9-10 oz. cowhide (about 5/16" thickness in the raw), and these do very well for light to medium weight handguns. I make the same belt lined with 4-5 oz. leather for heavier applications. I make the same belt lined with 7-8 oz. leather for the heaviest applications. My daily carry piece is a full-size Kimber 1911 in my Enhanced Pancake model holster and a single pouch on the middle belt and it does just fine.

Belt size is seldom the same as trouser waist size. I wear a size 34 trouser but my belts are 36" from tip of buckle to the tongue hole in use. Make sure that you measure a belt now in use to be sure that what you order will fit properly.

Also, the belt needs to be a good fit to the holster's belt attachment points (slots, loops, etc) to properly stabilize the holster. Not every holster will accept the thicker lined/reinforced belts easily.

IWB carry frequently requires a belt (and trousers) about 2" larger than normally worn.

There are quite a few good belts available, including the forum members' recommendations above. The first key element is good quality leather.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

Lobo leather:I will be using it for a glock 19 in a crossbreed supertuck or a don hume #721 open top.Which belt would you recomend?thanks.
    Oh,and I also wear perry suspenders some times so I don't have to cinch my belt so tight.
    Last edited by sjones; July 10th, 2010 at 02:15 PM.

I just ordered my first gun belt from A & G Custom Gunleather very late Thursday, or very early Friday ( around midnight )
    Everything I found on their belts was positive, the pricing is good, and they offered the belt I wanted on their quick ship program.
    Once I get the first one I will probably order a custom belt.
    Check them out ...

Custom Gun Belts, Custom Leather Belts from A & G Custom Gun Leather

Picked up my 1.5" thick leather belt from a saddle shop for $29.00+tax

Quote Originally Posted by davidw View Post
    Picked up a Dickies brand belt in Walmart while waiting for a Looper belt I ordered. Loope came in about 3 weeks ago and have noy used it yet. The Dickies works just fine.
    The last regular belt I bought was one of these ( Dickie's brand Wal-Mart ). With just regular wear the belt leather is already broken in less than 2 months. You would have to wear it very tight to pull the gun in close. Then it is going to stretch badly. This may work for a temporary belt, but i will never buy another Dickie's brand even for casual wear.

For concealed carry use go ahead and get a quality belt.

If you save up enough you can get a Del fatti belt.Mine is about 8 years old and still holds up nice.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Beltman...

Thats not knocking other makers. Im just talking about the one I bought recently. Its a great belt.

VIP Member
    Check out these Amish belts. Someone on here recommended them, so I tried one. These are dual leather and about 1/4" thick and more than heavy enough to support any size cc gun and are $25.

Amish Belts
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Thanks,I just ordered one,if it doesn't work out then its only $25.00 blown,considerable cheaper than the high price gunbelts.I'm working on a tight budget.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links