DeSantis Pro Stealth: Excellent IWB option!

This is a discussion on DeSantis Pro Stealth: Excellent IWB option! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been on a search for the perfect IWB holster (for me) and after lots of money spent and different options tried out, the ...

Thread: DeSantis Pro Stealth: Excellent IWB option!

I have been on a search for the perfect IWB holster (for me) and after lots of money spent and different options tried out, the DeSantis Pro Stealth takes the prize.

It's comfortable enough, although a little wider than some others, but the nylon construction makes it ideal for Florida weather. The holster covers great portion of the slide to protect it from sweat corrosion. The draw is smooth but with good retention (I'm still breaking it in though)

I love the built in extra mag pouch on the spine of the holster. Big plus for my POU.

My Kel-Tec PF9 disappears in my waist and I can wear this thing at 4 o'clock all day long :)

I'm including pics for you guys to check it out.

Thanks.

This is my Glock 17... there are others like it, but this one is mine. And it's mighty fine!

Does the holster mouth collapse when you draw, or is it reinforced to remain open? If you can't re-holster with one hand, I'm not interested.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Hey Smitty, l'm still breaking it in so the mouth does stay open when the gun is drawn, but the mouth is not reinforced. The extra mag on the spine helps keep the mouth open as well. My guess is with daily use it will probably be a hard thing to re-holster with one hand.

May I ask why the big interest in re-holstering, with one hand at that? I'm assuming that if you need to draw your gun it's for self defense or to prevent a crime. At that point cops are showing up and the whole nine yards. Your gun better be off your hands and ready for the police to inspect and take it if necessary. Who cares if you can re-holster, less with one hand? Would you mind clarifying? Thx Smitty.
    This is my Glock 17... there are others like it, but this one is mine. And it's mighty fine!

Quote Originally Posted by pitor View Post
    Hey Smitty, l'm still breaking it in so the mouth does stay open when the gun is drawn, but the mouth is not reinforced. The extra mag on the spine helps keep the mouth open as well. My guess is with daily use it will probably be a hard thing to re-holster with one hand.

May I ask why the big interest in re-holstering, with one hand at that? I'm assuming that if you need to draw your gun it's for self defense or to prevent a crime. At that point cops are showing up and the whole nine yards. Your gun better be off your hands and ready for the police to inspect and take it if necessary. Who cares if you can re-holster, less with one hand? Would you mind clarifying? Thx Smitty.
    In general, you should always be able to re-holster with one hand. A line might be drawn between the needs of an armed citizen vs. those of law enforcement and military, but you can not predict with any certainty what situation you will encounter which may cause you to draw your weapon. If this is a backup or deep cover weapon, that's a different situation... but for your primary weapon, you want to be able to re-holster with one hand and also without having to look at your holster to do so. Just a level of training and skill with arms one should work toward.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Cool Smitty, thanks for presenting your points of view and philosophy. Hope you find your ideal holster.

Cool Smitty, thanks for presenting your points of view and philosophy. Hope you find your ideal holster.
    Always keeping the eyes open, but the Milt Sparks Summer Special covers the bases very well for now.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Looks great. Thanks for the reference. I really needed a way of carrying IWB with maximum slide coverage (rust & comfort) with the ability to have a spare mag at hand at all times. Pro Stealth fit the bill perfectly for me. The Summer Special looks great though. My only drawback with it would be not having a leather extension for the slide against the body.

Look at the Sparks SS-2 - it has the protective flap you're looking for.

Most advantageous location for the spare mag is on your support hand side, since you'll be reloading with the weapon in your strong side hand... in that regard, the combined holster-mag combo is ok but not optimal.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    In general, you should always be able to re-holster with one hand. A line might be drawn between the needs of an armed citizen vs. those of law enforcement and military, but you can not predict with any certainty what situation you will encounter which may cause you to draw your weapon. If this is a backup or deep cover weapon, that's a different situation... but for your primary weapon, you want to be able to re-holster with one hand and also without having to look at your holster to do so. Just a level of training and skill with arms one should work toward.
    Besides the reason listed by gasmitty, during training, particularly while practicing your draw, it can be a big pain in the rear to repeatedly have to use two hands to coerce your gun back into it's holster.
    Overland Gunleather
    http://overlandgunleather.com

Thx Smitty. The SS2 looks like the one that would work for me . I'll give it a try. I like the point you make about spare mag on weak side, as this is how I train when shooting IDPA and such.

The only caveat is that for daily carry my pockets are already maxed out (man I love to carry all sorts of hardware ;)). The ability to alleviate some of that weight by combining gun and spare mag in a single unit is beneficial to my POU. But you are right, when it comes to acting on instincts and reloading under pressure... it could be a challenge. I will practice at home, with an empty gun, how to better reach and access the spare mag.

Thank you again.

Thx Smitty. The SS2 looks like the one that would work for me . I'll give it a try. I like the point you make about spare mag on weak side, as this is how I train when shooting IDPA and such.

The only caveat is that for daily carry my pockets are already maxed out (man I love to carry all sorts of hardware ;)). The ability to alleviate some of that weight by combining gun and spare mag in a single unit is beneficial to my POU. But you are right, when it comes to acting on instincts and reloading under pressure... it could be a challenge. I will practice at home, with an empty gun, how to better reach and access the spare mag.

Thank you again.
    We're all here to share and learn... stay safe.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member
    POU = ?

point of use?

I tried a similar product from Desantis (the "Tuck This" holster) for my XD40 early in my concealed carry journey. I didn't care for the unreinforced top, nor the added weight of a spare magazine in the holster. I also didn't care for the reload being strong side, requiring me to move the pistol to my left hand during reloads. Everything was solved by switching to a MTAC Minotaur.

Having said that, I hope it works for you. Everyone has different preferences, and concealed carry is often about compromises.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Unless you wear this in a cross-draw position, you'd have to cross-draw to get at your reload. In order to keep your reload reachable, you'd probably have to wear the holster in the appendix area.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Sponsored Links