Time to get fitted for a new suit

This is a discussion on Time to get fitted for a new suit within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So this is going to be the first new suit I've purchased that I will be carrying in. So I figure I might as well ...

Thread: Time to get fitted for a new suit

So this is going to be the first new suit I've purchased that I will be carrying in. So I figure I might as well have it fitted with carrying in mind. I'm going to leave a few factors in the air that will be settled around ease of carry. Those are the weapon to be carried and how I'm going to carry it.

I've got 3 choices of weapon to carry, only two of which I see as practical

1. XD-40 service
    2. Colt Cobra .38 special
    3. Smith and Wesson modle 68 .357

I'm comfortable with all these weapons I just think the .357 is a little large to be carried comfortably.

As far as how i'm going to carry I want to stay away from pocket holsters and shoulder holsters ( I often remove my jacket)

So I need some help

What do I need to look for when getting my suit fitted?
    What weapon should I carry and how should i carry it.

Leave some room IWB for a tuckable holster like the CrossBreed Supertuck, MTAC or Kholster. I say this since you mentioned that you take your jacket off a lot.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I would prefer to bring my intended holsters with me to a fitting.
    If that's not practical yet, allow 1" on the waist.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

los
    Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    ...allow 1" on the waist.
    As well as on the Jacket waist/hip area to avoid printing.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Get a good sturdy 1 1/4" gun belt to match your shoes and holster.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

When I was working plainclothes I always had several modifications made to my suits and sport jackets.

1. A strip of light canvas can be sewn into the jacket lining around the waist area. This prevents printing very well.

2. The material cut off the trouser cuffs can be used to make belt loops that are sized to accept your gun belt and sewn on at locations that will not interfere with holster placement.

3. A couple of large fender washers can be sewn into the jacket lining at each side at the bottom edge near the front. This helps keep the jacket hanging neatly and also helps when you sweep the jacket tail away during the draw.

Interestingly, those suits and jackets were tax-deductible since they were made specifically for use on the job!
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by loboleather View Post
    When I was working plainclothes I always had several modifications made to my suits and sport jackets.

1. A strip of light canvas can be sewn into the jacket lining around the waist area. This prevents printing very well.

2. The material cut off the trouser cuffs can be used to make belt loops that are sized to accept your gun belt and sewn on at locations that will not interfere with holster placement.

3. A couple of large fender washers can be sewn into the jacket lining at each side at the bottom edge near the front. This helps keep the jacket hanging neatly and also helps when you sweep the jacket tail away during the draw.

Interestingly, those suits and jackets were tax-deductible since they were made specifically for use on the job!
    I've worked PC for 13 years now and these are great tricks of the trade that Lobo has listed. You can also find iron on patches that match the inside color of your jacket to put in there, but sewn in will generally last longer. They are a great alternative to suits you've already had tailored in the past, or ones you already have a hole in. Not only does it reduce printing, it also prevents the corner of your slide from wearing a hole in your jacket lining. Even the rounded corners of a Glock will do it, not to mention the rear sight.

Another thing I do is actually wear my firearm and "amenities" in and let them tailor around it. This is no big deal to the tailor since I have my LEO ID, not to mention I've developed a relationship with him. Make sure you check with the tailor/shop if it is ok to do this before you go in. Some are not comfortable with it.

Not going to get into which weapon or how to carry it. Just too many personal preferences and toes to step on.

Great tips and trick. Thanks guys

I use a Smartcarry. Pleated suit pants in darker colors conceal wonderfully - even a duty-sized pistol like a Glock 19.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Links