CCW Breakaways

CCW Breakaways

This is a discussion on CCW Breakaways within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anybody had any experience with CCW Breakaway pants and the company that produces them? Google CCW Breakaway to find their website and let me ...

Thread: CCW Breakaways

CCW Breakaways

Has anybody had any experience with CCW Breakaway pants and the company that produces them? Google CCW Breakaway to find their website and let me know what you think. If they work as advertised I think I just found a new alternative and meaning for pocket carry.

Hi,

I bought the "casual business "pants, and the Cargos. Let's start with the Cargo pants.

The material is very heavy, suitable for winter wear, and it took a long time in the dryer for the wastband material to dry: multiple levels due to the design needs of the pockets. Nice cargo pockets; restrained design, not "tacticool".

The dress pants are lighter material. Both pants have the same gun pockets.

The pockets have 3 features to make the concept work.

1. Velcro lets you shorten the depth of the pocket to fit guns of different barrel lengths; you can change the pockets for different guns in less than 1 minute.

2. Shape of the pocket; it's shaped like a holster and places the slide/barrel along your leg's inside front.

3. Snaps. At the top are 2 snaps hidden under the wasteband (layers of material) to let you very quickly pull open the pocket so even large guns will not snag on withdrawal.

It is not uncomfortable to wear, but takes some getting used to.

When sitting you can sometimes see something is in the pocket, but it does not have the shape of a gun.

It's also where you would not expect a gun to be.

I find it easier to get my pistol out than with a tuckable holster and much easier to put the gun in. It's also a great carry system when you have to sit on the toilet. The pistol stays concealed.

I tried it with a Walther PPS, a Walther P5 and a full size HK USP.

Smaller is still better. The PPS hid best. The other pistols fit, but you could sometimes see the butts printing.

The only problems I had were the snaps coming apart with little pressure from trying to get my hand in the pocket for my keys, and the problem of what to do with those keys! A belt snap for the keys is in order.

Oh. And you might not like carrying your wallet or whatever in the other front pocket, as it moves things toward your inner front leg too.

I think for summer, this is the prefered carry method for me. I will let you know how things go.

As for the company, customer service is great; its a new company, and Jay is trying hard. Contact is by e-mail and telephone, but there is no on-line ordering. New and small equals personal service.

Seriously, look into this. If you have any issues or questions, give Jay a call.

Senior Moderator
    If they work well, not a bad way to go I suppose. For pants they're expensive, but if it eliminates the need of buying a holster, that'd certainly offset the cost some.

The problem is how many pants would you have to buy to carry like this 5-6 days a week? That could get expensive - unless, of course, you're already spending that for pants.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

One thing you could do is find pants that have a large enough pocket, and sew velcro in to form a "holster". Smaller is better.

On the other hand, you could use the shorts for summer wear, and use a tuckable holster or I/O belt holster with a jacket the rest of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by mdemichael2 View Post
    Has anybody had any experience with CCW Breakaway pants and the company that produces them? Google CCW Breakaway to find their website and let me know what you think. If they work as advertised I think I just found a new alternative and meaning for pocket carry.
    Breakaway pants? Forgive me, but that just sounds like something for a night out at the club when you want to get wild. I'm not much one for pocket carry either, unless I want someone searching my pockets for a specific reason. ;)
    Don't mind me, I'm old and set in my ways. However......I always say options are good! Make of it what you will and find what's best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Breakaway pants? Forgive me, but that just sounds like something for a night out at the club when you want to get wild. I'm not much one for pocket carry either, unless I want someone searching my pockets for a specific reason. ;)
    My thoughts exactly ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

The "Breakaway" refers to the top of the pockets that open up when you draw the pistol so it does not snag.

Now I am seeing a picture of someone with tear away male stipper pants and a Smartcarry.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Now I am seeing a picture of someone with tear away male stipper pants and a Smartcarry.
    WEELLLL thanks for that image,I need to go scrub my brain now
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

They are not anymore expensive than a quality holster. Also I would not be using them 7 days a week. Only when my arthritis is acting up in my shoulder. I find I can draw my my gun from my pocket holster with no problem but there are days when I can't draw from my belt holster because of the pain in my shoulder. This would solve my problem for when I wanted to carry my 357 sig caliber Glock and keep my gun from printing in a normal pocket carry. I always have my Kel Tech 380 on me whether I'm carrying a belt holster or not.

I found a pair of Columbia cargo shorts with deep pockets at Gander Mountain, and sewed in a small piece of velcro to make a pocket into a "holster". It fits my PPS perfectly.

The velcro is about 1 inch long, vertical, just behind where the trigger guard goes.

I folded the bottom of the pocket that us behind the front (holster) pocket so nothing in it would hang as low as the gun. Works great. Keys rest just above the butt in a seperate pocket; pistol is noticible, but not obvious as a gun. It hangs low, and is behind the cargo pocket.

mdemichael2, can you put your hand behind your back, palm out? You might be able to use a MOB holster.

See http://www.mernickleholsters.com/bm_perf.html
    Last edited by Winston Smit; July 15th, 2010 at 07:41 PM.

Mob not an option. Can't reach with out undue discomfort. May have to learn to shoot and draw left handed as I have full range of motion in that shoulder.

Links