1 Year with a Pure Kustom's Black Ops Pro

This is a discussion on 1 Year with a Pure Kustom's Black Ops Pro within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I've had it a year, worn it daily, and figured it was time for a follow-up review. Original review here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...11-w-rail.html I put my ...

Well,

I've had it a year, worn it daily, and figured it was time for a follow-up review. Original review here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...11-w-rail.html

I put my kids to sleep a minimum of 4 times a week. I never intend to, but occasionally I fall asleep myself and my BOP never prevents that from happening. On a weekend road trip earlier this year, I wore my full size mag-well'd 1911 and two spare mags (28 total rounds of full power 10mm) for something like 32 hours - 3/4s of that time was spent in a car - with my weapon at 5 o'clock sandwiched between my lower back and the seat ... never uncomfortable.

The holster itself has held up great. After a year, I couldn't begin to count all the presentation drills I've done through this thing, and although the holster is slicker and easier now to draw from than it was on day one - retention is still excellent. I'm a relatively active guy since I have two toddlers (a 4 year old and a 19-month old), and running/rolling/jumping/climbing/wrestling present no problems with this rig. You'll see in the pics that the color has held up well (though on really hot days where I've sweated a lot, I have had some color bleed onto my undershirt) and aside from a few character scars, the holster is still in fine condition.

Concealment has been a non-issue. This is a combination of a great holster and a thin handgun (I love my 1911s) - but what actually prompted me to write this update was the fact that last weekend, at the beach, my wife quietly asked me what I'd done with my gun since I was laying down on my stomach and by staring at my lower back she couldn't make any kind of outline. Keep in mind this woman was sitting less than 6" from me, knew where I carry, was looking straight at that area (again, a full size mag-well'd 1911 + two spare mags), the only cover-garment being a properly fitting white t-shirt, and she couldn't find it. That said, my rig will still print if I bend over as will all rigs that are carried at the 5 o'clock position, but I've learned to not make a big deal about it and no one has realized it's not a cell phone or something similar. I'm constantly bending over to pick up my kids or something they've dropped and I have no issues doing it.

I have but one negative thing to say about this holster. One night about 6 months ago I took off my rig and realized that my magazine had been ejected. Not out of the gun completely - it was still sitting in the firearm, but it was no longer held in place by the mag catch. That day, the conditions must have been correct during my driving with the gun sandwiched between my body and the seat, such that I my body pushed on the holster enough to push in the mag release. I've since gotten into the habit of checking my mag upon exiting any vehicle. It's never happened again.

I guess the best way to summarize this review is: I'm going to be selling my Fusion at some point, maybe later this year. I'm not 100% happy with this weapon and what I really want to do is either pick up a full-size Wilson CQB in 10mm or get a Les Baer TRS in .40S&W and send the barrel out to get reamed to 10mm. Since my BOP is custom fit to match the rail on my Fusion, I'll be selling the Fusion and BOP as a single package - which means I'll need a new holster. Rocky will, without doubt, be getting my call.

The only thing I will have changed is that I don't think I'm going to be ordering a pro the second time around. The fact is that I simply haven't used the added features the pro offers over the standard Black-Ops. My Wilderness Instructor belt is desert tan, my typical pant-garment is blue-jeans, and my holster is Rocky's "black-cherry" color which is most light looks like a wine-red ... which means the straps stand out severely. For anyone thinking they might want to tuck, go with a black BOP and a black belt.

Time for the pics:

If anyone has any questions, please let me know.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Outstanding review thanks for the info I love my BOP

I've only had mine about a month, but I love it!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

What model is yours for and which color did you get?
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

Links