Which do you think conceals better

This is a discussion on Which do you think conceals better within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When it comes to OWB style holsters. Pancake style high rides or snap on style with straps (that tend to ride a bit lower)?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When it comes to OWB style holsters. Pancake style high rides or snap on style with straps (that tend to ride a bit lower)?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

It would depend on your body type. Generally higher riding holsters blend in with your body better. Lower riding holsters tend to get pushed out by the hips causing more printing.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    It would depend on your body type. Generally higher riding holsters blend in with your body better. Lower riding holsters tend to get pushed out by the hips causing more printing.
    I agree !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

My body type is slim and athletic at 5'9 and 170 pounds. Looks like pancake will probably be the way to go. I'm thinking about a UBG Holsters Bonneville. This will mainly be for cooler weather carry.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Looks like a good choice. With the belt loops at the level of the trigger the holster should really bring the bulk of your pistol in close to your body. Sometimes a high rise may tend to bring the muzzle end out a bit with longer barrels, depending on your particular body shape.

OMO

bosco

I think a holster that rides high with a forward cant is the way to go.

I use the Blade-Tech paddle holster with a full size M&P 40 and I carry with just a t-shirt. There is a little printing but since people are not looking for a gun, they won't notice.

Member of:
    National Rifle Association
    Buckeye Firearms Association
    Ohioans for Concealed Carry
    Defensive Carry
    United States Conceal Carry Association

Distinguished Member
    Pancake for me, I tried a UBG Regulator for my J frame and it rode to low for summer wear and the snaps were to thick. It was my best looking holster, full front shark, but it just didn't work for me.

los
    A hi-ride owb holster will provide exceptional concealment, if used in conjunction with a good [stiff] gun belt. Especially when carrying a short-barrelled semi-auto weapon.

A good solid Belt is a big part of the puzzle when trying to achieve optimum concealment with a hi-ride OWB rig.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    A hi-ride owb holster will provide exceptional concealment, if used in conjunction with a good [stiff] gun belt. Especially when carrying a short-barrelled semi-auto weapon.

A good solid Belt is a big part of the puzzle when trying to achieve optimum concealment with a hi-ride OWB rig.
    Last time I tried OWB I had what I THOUGHT to be a good belt. A Galco "cop" belt. However when I got my belt from Carl Collins my entire concept of what a good belt is was entirely changed.

Cool

Swift Skin

Just another choice for you to consider.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Best OWB holster I've used, or even seen, is the Alessi CQC/S. Lou is gone, now (RIP), so I now keep that one in safe reserve, but it rides and conceals as well as any pancake I've tried, while the snaps allow me to don or doff it very quickly, in case I need to go into a designated unarmed victim zone. In any case, make sure you get a really good one. A top quality holster always pays for itself, as the purchase price is amortized over years of good service.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    If you are going to carry OWB I would suggest a pancake style holster at about 330-4. I would carry the gun fairly high and tight with a 45-25 degree cant(which ever works best for you). But, I won't suggest getting a holster that rides to high. I suggest a holster that the CG (center of gravity) does exceed the top of your belt. Because if this is the case the gun will tend to bend over the top of the belt. This happens because the higher the gun protrudes above the belt the bigger moment arm it will create, causing a larger moment, which is the last thing you want. So I suggest medium height, not to high, and for a slender person 330-4 would conceal very well. Hope this helps.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Anyone have any experience with the crossbreed snapslide?

Administrator
    Pancake or "snap/on/off" OWB ? - Much depends on if you are going to be constantly removing it or just leaving it on all the time.
    Here in PA I can put my firearm on in the morning and just leave it on until I finally decide that it's time to remove it since there are so few carry restrictions and no signs posted anywhere.
    So...I like a simple pancake OWB best.

Something else on the holsters that allow it is to run your belt on the outside of the holster rather than on the inside. This pulls the gun in even tighter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links