MTAC Minotaur owners: question

This is a discussion on MTAC Minotaur owners: question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had a MTAC Minotaur for over a year now, and really like it. My problem is that I would like to wear it without ...

Thread: MTAC Minotaur owners: question

I've had a MTAC Minotaur for over a year now, and really like it. My problem is that I would like to wear it without a t-shirt, but when I do, it becomes sticky and uncomfortable.

How do you guys that don't wear an undergarment deal with this? Is there a treatment for the smooth leather on the back that can help with this?

Thanks in advance!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I don't have an MTAC but I do build my own rigs with smooth toward the body and you can run into the same issues. I've found the easiest answer is just to wear A-shirts, they don't add much for heat and they give just enough of a barrier between you and the holster to allow a sliding motion rather than binding.

I really don't think there is much of a good answer though where the holster rides is a position where it has to move against the body. If you use rough side toward the body it chafes if you use smooth it sticks;) For me the answer is the light shirt under the T-Shirt. I actually got used to this really quickly though since I used to wear suits all the time and had to wear undershirts. So now I'm just doing the same thing in casual dress.

Good luck and maybe you'll find a better answer but that's all I've found that works;)

Take care

Luke

Wear your holster a little lower, and your undershorts a little higher. I use boxer briefs. Remember that you need a STIFF belt to be comfortable. Are you maybe overtightening your belt? I use an MTAC all the time, and never have problems.

A little anti-persprent in the area may help too.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

I've been thinking of gluing some kind of fabric to the inside of mine so that I can wear it without a T-shirt. The SmartCarry holster is made with a product called Cool Max, which is soft on the skin side but doesn't let moisture pass through. I was thinking of doing some research to see if that would be a good liner for my MTAC, but haven't done so yet.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

VIP Member
    Maybe moleskin would work. Comp-Tac sells it as an accessory. Being in TX, I know what you're talking about. I've come to the conclusion, either wear a t-shirt or get used to the sticky feeling.

If you're from Houston or the gulf coast, you should be used to the sticky feeling...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I bought my MTAC after not likeing how kydex of my CTAC felt aginst my skin. I don't notice it at all. Ice Mans anti-persprant idea might just work........
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Camjr View Post
    I've had a MTAC Minotaur for over a year now, and really like it. My problem is that I would like to wear it without a t-shirt, but when I do, it becomes sticky and uncomfortable.

How do you guys that don't wear an undergarment deal with this? Is there a treatment for the smooth leather on the back that can help with this?

Thanks in advance!
    Should have opted for horse hide inner layer. Makes it like baby skin. Otherwise, you can bond a piece of material to it but, since it has been worn for a while now, it may not stick well. Sweat has permeated the leather and will cause most bonding agents not to take a grip.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
    Wear your holster a little lower, and your undershorts a little higher. I use boxer briefs. Remember that you need a STIFF belt to be comfortable. Are you maybe overtightening your belt? I use an MTAC all the time, and never have problems.

A little anti-persprent in the area may help too.
    I wear the holster as low as I can, and don't want to try the anti-perspirant approach since the chemicals may have a negative effect on the leather. I've read some other guys on the Texas CHL forum talk about using moisture-wicking undershirts similar to UnderArmor, as well as tactical baby powder :-), so will try that approach. I'm not averse to wearing a t-shirt, but just wanted to see what guys did that choose not to.

Thanks for the responses. Cheers!
    Last edited by Camjr; July 11th, 2010 at 10:06 PM.

I have the same holster and live in FL.
    I use felt with the adhesive already on it.
    Had it on for over a year and it still works great.
    Got it at Michael's .
    If the felt gets some piling (mine hasn't yet), just pull it off and apply new felt.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Horsehide?

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Should have opted for horse hide inner layer.
    Do they offer a horsehide option? I wanted an MTAC but needed a hybrid with horsehide leather for this very reason. I didn't think it was an option with the MTAC, so I went with the CrossBreed SuperTuck in horsehide. Not a problem with no undershirt here in 100+ degree Texas summers.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I am afraid I always use an undershirt. I laid in a supply of light-weight, synthetic "wife beaters"; although not actually a wicking fabric, they do a pretty good job even in hot weather (we may not break 100 often around here, but the humidity is pretty brutal on the hot days). I believe the shirts are from Champion.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savior Sound View Post
    Do they offer a horsehide option? I wanted an MTAC but needed a hybrid with horsehide leather for this very reason. I didn't think it was an option with the MTAC, so I went with the CrossBreed SuperTuck in horsehide. Not a problem with no undershirt here in 100+ degree Texas summers.
    I thought they did. Seems it was an option when I looked a few months ago, however, I have not ordered another Mtac just yet. I had a Blue Grass Holster Hybrid with horsehide inner and it was absolutely awesome.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

[QUOTE=Ice Man;1698655]Wear your holster a little lower, and your undershorts a little higher. I use boxer briefs. Remember that you need a STIFF belt to be comfortable. Are you maybe overtightening your belt? I use an MTAC all the time, and never have problems.

This is what I do as well.

I don't believe that the MTAC has a Horsehide option. Crossbreed does though.

I tried a small amount of "tacticool" baby powder with cornstarch on the hip under the holster the other day without an undershirt. Worked like a charm.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links