Holster Advice for the Skinny Guy

This is a discussion on Holster Advice for the Skinny Guy within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok ladies and gents, I have a very rare condition... a fast metabolism, thus I am thin. This creates a problem for me as I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holster Advice for the Skinny Guy

Holster Advice for the Skinny Guy

Ok ladies and gents,

I have a very rare condition... a fast metabolism, thus I am thin. This creates a problem for me as I try and comfortably conceal my H&K USP Compact in a IWB Home Hume holster. Its obvious that something is there, because anything sticks out on my body profile.

I am curious how other thin people carry? I am 6'1", and around 155lbs. I wear docker pants frequently, but still shows as a buldge and is uncomfortable for the most part. In addition, I live in Houston, TX where god had a wicked sense of humor in creating a geographic region of the state where we get 100 degree days, with 100% humidity. For those of you up north, you have no idea how miserably hot this is. So cover up clothing will only induce a stroke in this summer time. How do you conceal?

Currently, My H&K 9MM is my only pistol... Any ideas?

Edit: Ok... and before anyone suggests a fanny pack, I have to say that down here deep in the heart of texas, well... I'd give off the wrong impression of my sexual orientation if I were to wear one, so thats out of the question. Is there any hope?

2. Remove Ads

Which Hume IWB are you using??? I've had one in the past, and switched to a Sparks VM-II. World of difference.

For summer carry I typically go with a 'a-shirt' (commonly called a wife beater ), and a loose fitting button down shirt. Baseball jersys are an excellent cover garment as well IMO. I carry a USPc .45 BTW.
    OPE Prostaff
    www.outdoorproductexchange.com

Sitting Ducks Ltd. Prostaff
    http://www.sittingducks-ltd.com/

Howdy and welcome aboard!
    The proper IWB and clothing combination will go a long way toward giving you the maximum possible concealment. The key word here is "possible". You have a thin frame, and the USP is a very large pistol - even in the compact version. I believe that there will be a bit of a "bulge" with whatever holster you select.
    A 1911 is MUCH flatter, as would be a small to mid size Glock. If you are really sold on HK products, a P-7 is truly the ultimate carry 9mm. With any of those pistols, a good IWB would most probably work well for you.
    However, I am 6'2" and weigh in around 245 lbs, and I cannot wear a USP and achieve what I consider to be an acceptable level of concealment. In short, a good holster can conceal a firearm without making it any bulkier, but as of yet, none of us have figured out a way to shrink your gun for you
    A really oversize "Don Ho" shirt might work with an IWB, but I really think that your USP should be your glovebox/nightstand gun. A smaller firearm would solve the problem more effectively than wearing really oversize clothing.
    Please feel free to give me a call if I can help you sort this out (and I won't twist your arm to buy a holster, either). My shop phone is 423.733.1779. Good luck!

Try a 4" 1911. I'm thin, but not that thin. I can easilly conceal a 5" 1911 OWB in a Binachi CarryLok with my Rafter S 1.25" belt. Chest vs. waist measurements may allow you to carry OWB.

I nod on the USP note. You know that I have the compact, and is considerably smaller than other common CC pistols, but I am partial to my USPc. The P7 just isnt my style... I admire its engineering and craftsmanship and revolutinary design, but not my style.

On another note, I have considered purchasing an alternative CC weapon for daily carry.

Off Topic: I am also attending college part time... (cant carry in the university buildings) but feel nervous leaving my weapon in the trunk too. The parking lot is a dodgy area, and next to a bus stop so a good deal of shady people are all around. Plus the fact that I drive a BMW so I greatly fear getting my car stolen, or broken into. BMW's are not "easily" stolen outright but risk being carjacked too. I go to the Downtown campus in Houston, so I feel better having some defensive protection avail. A slim 1911 may be the ticket. I dont like having to store/retrieve my sidearm in the trunk evertime though when I go to class to leave it in my car. I fear my H&K being stolen, more than my bimmer, so I may opt for a cheaper weapon for this purpose.

I'm 6ft 6in. tall and weigh 230lbs (I guess you could say that I'm thin), and I carry the Sig P220 in a VMII. No problems ever.

I agree, a quality 1911 will conceal easily on a thin framed guy, even with the least amount of cover garment. I used to live in the Seabrook area and I can attest to your heat / humidity concerns.

As for a IWB holster, there are many fine products available to suit your personal needs. I have found through experience that I will spend a significant amount of $$$ trying various holsters to see what works best, for every season. Ask your friends who carry to try theirs out for a day or two, just to see how it feels before you buy.

As for leaving it in your car, I'd advise against it. However, if you must do so, there is a car safe that is excellent. It even has a cable that lets you loop it around the seat frame and then it locks inside the safe. It's enough of a deterrent for the average thug/doper to leave it alone. I bought one from H-tronics, www.htronics.com and I love it. Just make sure you buy the larger size safe. Only a few $$$ more but so worth it. Hope this helps.

No ideas on the gun, but here's an idea for locking your gun in your car. The large size will hold my Glock 17.

http://www.center-of-mass.com/About_...Safe_Incar.htm

Good luck.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I once had a thin problem back when I first became a cop. My agency issued a S&W 645 (BIG gun - ie a box of wheates) and that was when I first began using a t-shirt holster. Over the past 14 years I have gained a little weight but I still use the t-shirt type holsters daily (actually just took it off after 20 hours of strait wear with no discomfort).

My personal preference is the UC Comfort holster and it makes almost any size weapon disappear under a button up shirt. I also used a in the pants holster, but found that I had to buy pants just for that holster or keep the button undone to allow for waist room.

Good luck.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I understand

I too am from Houston, TX and know exactly what you are talking about in regards to the Downtown school - I attended the UofH main campus and can understand your concern for keeping your gun in the trunk. It can be one scary place sometimes - I would definately recommend a vehicle safe.

I too am looking for options to store my XD .45 in my vehicle - I like the Center Of Mass safes - they are cheap, practical, and can be hidden easily... I am also considering a V-Line Hideway safe - you can bolt it to the floorboard of your Beamer to ensure that even if they pop your trunk, they hopefully wouldn't have the time or equipment to remove it..

Just a thought!

I second the Center of Mass safes, they are great.
    However, I've owned Colts, Springfields, Kimbers, Smith and Wessons in 1911s and every single one of them had reliability issues. If I was going for a thinner model, I'd go with the Browning Hi Power.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightRambler
    I second the Center of Mass safes, they are great.
    However, I've owned Colts, Springfields, Kimbers, Smith and Wessons in 1911s and every single one of them had reliability issues. If I was going for a thinner model, I'd go with the Browning Hi Power.
    The HP is a good suggestion. I never trust any 1911 unless it has had some reliability work done to it, and it has had a boatload of rounds thru it.
    I've got one left that I have not sold off. It is 100% and it is my "summer" carry gun. Everything else is a Glock.
    If 9mm is your caliber, it is really hard to beat a good Glock 19. They are no thicker than a 1911, smaller in length & height and usually totally reliable. They are also very light weight, which adds a great deal to the comfort level.
    A Sig 239 would also possibly fill the need, too. The bottom line is that the HK's are so darn thick that they are hard for most folks to conceal properly.

The Springfield XD's conceal very well, and incorporate an additional safety feature that gives you a bit more piece of mind than a glock - I am awaiting my MAX CON V holster from Gary so I will let you know for sure how well it conceals!! After reading many reviews, I think it will work out well...

I'll be getting a Sig P229 shortly. I'm also considering getting either the Glock 22 or 23 this weekend. There is a place in town that can put a safety on Glocks. However, if I run into another Sig, or an HK that has the decock and not the safety, I'd rather get one of those.

I am the exact same build

Hey we're twins!! I am 6'1" 155lbs. I carry a Kimber Pro Carry in a Crossbreed IWB ( www.crossbreedholsters.com ). I live in Maine and my usual attire is Jeans, a loose T-shirt and a flannel or cotton collared shirt. Most of the time my wife can't tell if I am packing or not. So I guess it depends on your style of dress. If your into the emo, form fitting look then there's no hope of anything bigger than a P3AT. If you wear normal clothes then the crossbreed might be the ticket. Checkout it's construction, its a very thin comfortable holster and you can even get it with a tuckable option. You may want to switch to a single stack firearm as well(Sig P239, 1911...) To boot I also have ChipMcCorrmick slimgrips on my piece. That made quite a difference. Hope this helped. If you want to discuss it further with someone of the same size email me. I'd be glad to help out.

I know what you mean about the fanny pack. North Maine and Texas attitudes aren't all that different.
    In God we trust, everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.

Rights are like muscles: If you don't excersise them they slowly disappear.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links