Stylish fanny (pack) for the lady...oxymoron?

This is a discussion on Stylish fanny (pack) for the lady...oxymoron? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, here's my latest "mission". My wife and I have recently become OBSESSED with the tv show Burn Notice. It is because of this show ...

Thread: Stylish fanny (pack) for the lady...oxymoron?

Ok, here's my latest "mission".

My wife and I have recently become OBSESSED with the tv show Burn Notice. It is because of this show that I have this mission which I hope will ultimately lead in my wife packing heat. The lead female character, Fiona, carries a very stylish leather fanny pack. Normally, the thought of a fanny pack brings up memories of 80's high school gym shorts, calf high striped socks and side ponytails. This one on the other hand looked, dare I say "Cool".

One could argue that Fiona could pull off any look, but I think the rugged flap style of this fanny has a less dated look than the traditional zippered lump. It now seems entirely possible for a better looking yet functional fanny pack that would allow my wife to replace her purse with something she wouldn't have to worry about "walking away". Purse carry has always been out of the question for her because of that.

There are literally a ba-zillion different handbags, purses, hip bags, and belt bags (the new name of fanny packs) so my search has been dragging on. This new fanny pack look hasn't exactly proliferated to the local mall and the ones they may have are the same old butt lump or they are stylish, but so tiny that you're lucky to squeeze a phone & keys in it.

I tried the direct route and find the exact one Fiona wears, but it turns out it was a one off that Leather N' Denim made specifically for her and not in production. Not currently able to afford something that custom has gotten me looking elsewhere.

A company called Happy Cow in Australia has a very similar looking products. They aren't exactly the same, but the style is very similar. My wife being a sensible try-it-before-you-buy-it type person is leery to order something from the other side of the world without the opportunity to try it on.

We're still searching for the right look, but at least we know that there appears to be hope. There are a number that look like they may work on luggage.com that are much more affordable, but we haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. I wanted to first put a post up to see of any DC women out there have discovered what we're looking for. So please respond if you think you have the answer or if you'd like to refute the idea of wearing a fanny pack at all.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

While I do watch the show because I consider it good I have to admit 1/2 the reason I watch it is because of her. She is freaking hooooooooooooooooooooooot!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I think the Vintage Hipster from Happy Cow would fit the bill. However you have to consider that nothing will be equiped with a built in holster. I think your best bet is to have a custom holster or belt maker construct exactly what she needs.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member
    Ah yes, I want her to play me in the story of my life.

That pack she is wearing breaks all the rules of those things being dorky and matronly and horrid.

I would think that you could get some type of messenger bag and shorten the strap.

The only thing to keep in mind is that purpose built gun purses or packs have special features in them to make them safe and functional.

Let us know how this plays out.

@automatic slim; There are a lot of holster makers that make inserts for purses that would work in this application to cover the trigger and keep the gun in the right orientation, Crossbreed makes a hybrid one.

I'll post a review of whatever we end getting.

There's a fanny pack in that photo?
    One of the fundamental truths of the universe is that there isn't anything that cannot be improved with the addition of pirates, ninjas, strippers, midgets or monkeys.

"A car door is not cover. In fact a car is not cover. Cement is." - military contractor in Iraq 2004

"Does this pack make my butt look big?"
    "NO".

Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Thanks First Sgt! I hadn't seen the ones from wholesalecentral.

Blackhawk makes a bag insert that velcros into their bags (but should work in any bag modified with a patch of velcro)

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Uni...ter,438,34.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post
    Blackhawk makes a bag insert that velcros into their bags (but should work in any bag modified with a patch of velcro)

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Uni...ter,438,34.htm
    Thanks! We actually used a Crossbreed Supertuck with the clips removed to position & protect the trigger while in a purse so that's probably what we'll do with whatever bag my wife chooses.

Well that's probably better than the Blackhawk unit.

Links