New Life for Shoulder Holsters

This is a discussion on New Life for Shoulder Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One problem I found on most shoulder holsters used to carry large frame (heavy) guns is the elastic harness. Over time that elastic harness looses ...

Thread: New Life for Shoulder Holsters

One problem I found on most shoulder holsters used to carry large frame (heavy) guns is the elastic harness. Over time that elastic harness looses strength and just doesn't do the job. Many times even new it isn't the best way to carry a heavy gun. I replaced the elastic strap on an old Bianchi X-15 with a home made leather harness. I modeled it after the harness used on the Dirty Harry holster and the military shoulder holster used by pilots near the end of the Viet Nam war. I made some changes such as using a heavier leather that is 1 inch wide so the weight is spread out more. I also eliminated the leather ties using Chicago screws which allows the leather to pivot better. This also does away with the leather ties printing and makes the harness more comfortable. The end result was a very comfortable shoulder holster. The wider straps and pivot points greatly improved the carry characteristics. I've converted a couple of X-15s, a Safariland, and a few other shoulder holsters I had laying around unused for years breathing new life into them.

Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Arisin is that an original Dirty Harry holster ? i bought one when they first came out in 1972 for my S & W M29 with an 8 3/8 " BBL I bought it from Lawman Leather back then & it's as new as the day I bought it they are well made I paid about $74.00 back then now on their web site they are going for over $200.00 bucks amazing is it not ? By the way where did you buy the leather to remake the harness on your X15 holster I have one & I would like to do the same & be rid of that elastic strap, on it If you can can you E mail me & tell me where you bought the leather & how to replace the elastic strap ? thanks
    Last edited by DIRTY HARRY; August 1st, 2010 at 11:53 PM. Reason: added lines

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTY HARRY View Post
    Arisin is that an original Dirty Harry holster ? i bought one when they first came out in 1972 for my S & W M29 with an 8 3/8 " BBL I bought it from Lawman Leather back then & it's as new as the day I bought it they are well made I paid about $74.00 back then now on their web site they are going for over $200.00 bucks amazing is it not ? By the way where did you buy the leather to remake the harness on your X15 holster I have one & I would like to do the same & be rid of that elastic strap, on it If you can can you E mail me & tell me where you bought the leather & how to replace the elastic strap ? thanks
    Dirty Harry, if you mean "Original Dirty Harry Holster" by Lawman Leather (an excellent holster) nope it's not. It's a Bucheimer Clark Holster - the company Lawman Leather bought out in the mid 70's. This holster dates from the very early 70's so it's the same type and brand holster Clint Eastwood would have used in the movie. You're right about the prices. They are crazy. I have a Bucheimer Clark Dirty Harry holster for sale on Ebay and it went triple digits within two days.

As for the leather to make the straps for the Bianchi I went to Tandy leather. A couple of strips of 3/4 inch leather, some buckles and snaps is all it takes to recreate the Dirty Harry harness. I went a little further and used 1 inch straps for the shoulders to help distribute weight better - and it works real nice. I've replaced the elastic harnesses on all my Bianchi's with the leather harnesses. It makes carrying the heavy guns so much more comfortable.

To get the elastic strap off you unsnap the one end and remove it from the holster. The other end I cut the stitching to undo the loop. That way if I ever wanted to reattach the elastic harness it isn't ruined.

On the leather harnesses I make I use a snap that attaches the harness to the holster strap using the existing strap slot. This way I can move the harness from one holster to another very easy. Snap undone remove the harness - put different holster on and snap it. Quick and easy.

I've been thinking about making a few and selling them.

If you need more details let me know.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I used a shoulder rig when I carried my Blackhawk in Alaska. Always comfortable and accessible. They're just not much use to me here in S. FL. I never wear a coat except on the coldest days, like maybe a week or two. The BH was stolen and the holster hangs in the closet on stretched out elastic straps. Maybe one day I'll follow your lead and upgrade the old rig.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Old Vet; I too had one that I made while stationed at Eielsen AFB, AK in the early 60's. I made it for my Ruger 44 Mag. It was quite comfortable, and even though it was homemade, it fit the bill perfectly. I certainly felt much more secure with it, while out in the bush. Don't carry the 44 much anymore, and the holster has lost some of it's thinner straps, over time. Have thought of building another, just for old time sake.

I was stationed at Elmendorf AFB in the mid 80's. Carried a 45 Blackhawk then with Ruger only loads.

Old Vet sorry about your stolen Blackhawk, did they ever recover it ?

Arisin Please let me know if you make one for the Bianchi X15 holster & I will certainly buy one from you, insted of me trying to make one & screwing it up Ok Thank's

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Old Vet sorry about your stolen Blackhawk, did they ever recover it ?
    NO. One of the guys went to prison for breaking into another house nearby. He and his cohart took a .22 H&R 9-shot revolver, my TC Contender with a .30 Herritt barrel (Try to find ammo for that!), the Ruger and several handguns and rifles my son had that I didn't even know about. They also unknowingly took the list of models and serial numbers, so I couldn't give that info to police. This was all pre-computer days. Surprisingly, they left all my rifles and shotguns. Go figure. I guess their arms were full.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Arisin Please let me know if you make one for the Bianchi X15 holster & I will certainly buy one from you, insted of me trying to make one & screwing it up Ok Thank's
    PM sent

Sponsored Links