Belt tightness

Belt tightness

This is a discussion on Belt tightness within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How much tighter is your belt when you carry ? I hate for my non carry belt to so tight as to create a gut ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belt tightness

Belt tightness

How much tighter is your belt when you carry ?
    I hate for my non carry belt to so tight as to create a gut ( I'm pretty fit and don't like the feel of an overly tight belt,ie create a gut .just getting used to cc
    and wonder how you deal ?

So how much do you crank down for retention ?

More of an iwb question , I think ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    How much tighter is your belt when you carry ?
    I hate for my non carry belt to so tight as to create a gut ( I'm pretty fit and don't like the feel of an overly tight belt,ie create a gut .just getting used to cc
    and wonder how you deal ?

So how much do you crank down for retention ?

More of an iwb question , I think ?
    I don't crank down the belt for retention. Retention pretty much relies on the holster of choice. Most times (and I carry all of the time), I'm going the other way and letting off a notch with the belt. The belt is used for support and not retention. You may be looking at things the wrong way.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    You shouldn't have to crank down on a belt for retention. A good holster has retention period!!!

I don't change the tension when I am wearing, although I wear my belts snug, but not tight. My belt does run outside my holster even though it is an owb.

This...

With this...

A good gun belt allows me to carry with ease. I do pull it to where it is comfortable but not beyond that.

I snug my belts down a bit for OWB at 3:30, but I do find that if I carry IWB/SOB, the belt does have to be tightened right up.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I think it also depends a great deal on how good (rigid or supportive) your belt is and how heavy your gun weighs--a tiny .380 won't require as tight a belt as a fully loaded .45......

Make sure you buy a good belt made specifically for CC--it makes a HUGE difference.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I carry OWB and use my normal (no holster) size setting. The addition of the holster makes it a little tighter.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Belt tightness varies on holster, gun, and what pants I am wearing. When I carry IWB I need few extra inches to accommodate it than when I Pocket Carry. When I am carrying IWB with one of my tupperware guns I don't need it as tight as when I carry my full size 1911 due to the weight.

The rule of thumb that I use, I need it tight enough to hold the gun up, but not so tight as to hamper my draw, OR my re-holstering. When my belt is to tight, it can collapse the holster just enough to make re-holstering a little tough. Although some believe that low waisted pants that show the two hemispheres of the moon "stylish", I don't subscribe to that, and I don't want the weight of my gun showing that.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    You bring up a very important point. A belt must be snug enough that it will support the weight of your gun/holster. too tight however, might make your draw slow and difficult. Too loose could result in you shuffling down the sidewalk with your gun dragging on the ground. Another factor is type of holster. OWB won't hinder your draw if worn tight. IWB is another story.
    I think you need to experiment a little to find a happy medium.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I wiggle my holster up and down to check the tightness and adjust it if needed.

I'm using a Wilderness belt, so I can make those small adjustments to dial it in.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I don't crank down the belt for retention. Retention pretty much relies on the holster of choice. Most times (and I carry all of the time), I'm going the other way and letting off a notch with the belt. The belt is used for support and not retention. You may be looking at things the wrong way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pure Kustom View Post
    You shouldn't have to crank down on a belt for retention. A good holster has retention period!!!
    Agreed. A good holster should provide the retention. Like Rocky's Black Ops for example, I can shake that holster upside down and my Glock will not come out. I actually had a fellow instructor try to do a gun grab w/ a red gun while wearing my Black Ops (OWB at the time) and he couldn't do it. PS, I didn't even try to retain it.

I wear my belt on the 5th notch for OWB and 4th notch for IWB. I need to make a little room when going IWB.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

If I( don't snug my wilderness tactical belt pretty good,I would have to reach down to my knee to get a grip on my Combat Commander
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I don't run my belt any tighter with or without a pistol on it. My IWB is a MTAC and it has built in retention, no need to squish the gun down. I have found a sweet spot where my gun will ride like a champ and not depants me.

STIFF belts are the key. I am going to order a wilderness this week, my leather one is about shot. Correct holster+Correct belt = Comfort. One will not work without the other.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Distinguished Member
    I will put in my two cents about the Wilderness belt and the ultra adjustability (has a metal sliding buckle). Sometimes with hole belts one setting is not quite enough and the next is too much. The wilderness will also work with a wide variety of pant heights.

The only downside to the Wilderness is that it sort of gives away the cc, maybe that's just me. Like a clip knife. Plus a wilderness, bingo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links