Looking for first holster

This is a discussion on Looking for first holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone, I am looking for my first holster but really don't know where to start. Just from reading around I have gathered that there ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for first holster

Hey everyone, I am looking for my first holster but really don't know where to start. Just from reading around I have gathered that there are a lot of different styles and types of retention (or lack thereof), inside waistband and outside wasteband, etc. I am just looking for some tips on where to even start. Reliable brands that won't break the bank (sounds like most go through a wide range of holsters before they find the right one)? Or where to look to find good deals? A few pros and cons of different styles? Every little bit helps. Thanks.

-CRL

Take it from someone that has a box full of holsters in the sacred search for the "right holster"...give it some thought! Are you going to open carry? Do you prefer inside or out side the belt when concealed? Based on your body type what type of conceal holster would work best for you? After purchasing literally 2 dozen holsters I now know that I prefer inside the belt at 3:00 or 4:00 o'clock. Lots of great holsters but I "LOVE" Cross Breed holsters. Bit difficult for a fat, non-flexible guy to get on...but I can wear it all day and not have any discomfort. The other option for me is a simple pocket holster for my .38. Works very well in our current warm weather.

I wish there were a simple answer! Check out the awesome vendors listed above. That is a great place to start. Best of luck with your search! It really is fun...while potentially a bit expensive.
    Best Regards from Minnesota,

Rick

The quest for the perfect holster is something that is rather individual, although there are a lot of very knowledgeable folks around here who can certainly help you. What kind of firearm are you trying to conceal? Also, a good purpose made gun belt is just as if not more important than a good holster in my opinion.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

For what sidearm?
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

I am trying to conceal a 9mm, Ruger SR9 to be specific.

I found this website when I was looking for my first IWB holster for my Glock 27 and I ordered a Crossbreed Super tuck because of this forum. I love that holster but I also have two others. I have a Smartcarry and a holster that RamRod sent me which I'm still trying to figure out how is the best way to use it.

I will be purchasing another Crossbreed for my Glock 17 as well as Smartcarry in a month or two as winter time approaches. I also purchased a good gun belt which made huge difference and it is something I recommended to anyone. Good holster plus good gun belt and you should very comfortable.

Take a look at the Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro. It can be worn in 23 different positions, different cants, IWB, OWB, etc. etc. etc. Plus it's a piece of functional art, you can even have it customized if you so desire. If you are looking for something cheaper, there are many very good holster makers on this Forum.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by lambo969 View Post
    I am trying to conceal a 9mm, Ruger SR9 to be specific.
    I have been carrying that pistol in a CrossBreed SuperTuck for a year and a half now and can tell you I will never own another IWB holster. Just bought one for my dad and he loves it too.
    Pro Deo, Pro Familia, Pro Patria

Ruger SR9 - Crossbreed STD
    Savage 10FP

ntg
    You haven't really said what your holstering intent is, concealing well, easy access OWB? You'll find IWB is better for concealing a large arm like yours vs. OWB. I'd check kholster.com as they are not to "break the bank" as you desire and hear tell they're very comfortable. I'd have one if I didn't happen to find a good blem crossbred ST on Craig's website a while back.

Further kholster is having a sale beginning the 22nd that will get you one for under $40.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

Holster selection will depend largely upon your intended uses. Your physique, any physical limitations, usual activities, and typical wardrobe can also be factors to consider. Finally, the type of handgun needs to be considered.

Every holster design involves compromises among four basic factors, which are comfort, accessibility, security, and concealability. Only the user can decide how much of each factor can be compromised to enhance the others.

I am always happy to offer suggestions. Feel free to contact me.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

I use a Kholster (similar to super tuck, except only a single layer of leather) for my SR9c. *with an undershirt* it is very comfortable and conceals extremely well. I don't think you can go wrong between that, a supertuck, or an MTAC.

I'd still like to find a decent pancake holster that might hold the gun very tight to my body without going IWB, as any of the Kholster/CBST/MTAC designs are a bit of an ordeal to get on. I bought a serpa but it doesn't conceal for crap, so it will be relegated to some IPDA-type competitions.

Galco or Don Hume is always a good start for any beginner in leather holsters. In Kydex, I would suggest Blade-Tech. In leather/kydex hybrids, Crossbreed and Comp-tac MTAC have to be considered first. Hope this helps. Also try looking at the Mega Holsters Link here.

http://alumbankweb.com/cc-riglinks.php
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Where do you work? what do you do? What do you wear? where will you spend most of your time carrying? What sports do you play? Do you want a retaining strap of trigger catch? Choosing a holster is a life style type of choice. Wearing an ankle rig with shorts, for example, probably won't work. Shoulder holsters are convenient, comfortable and, with the right gun, VERY concealable. Check out the Kangaroo holster or DeepConceal.com. Look at some of the threads and see how people feel about their Crossbreed.com Super Tuck (it's almost a religion). Yes, you wil probably end up buying several holsters including a pocket holster and using one or two of them most of the time. It's likely to be an empirical process. Do not be afraid to spend a few bucks because you will be using the thing a lot and getting a good one that's comfortable is important.

I have bought several holsters from Dennis and never been disappointed.

http://jeffreycustomleather.com/index.html

The Better Than a Paddle is an awesome holster.
    Everyone ought to worship God according to his own inclinations, and not to be constrained by force.
    Flavius Josephus

I can't tell you how happy I was with Nate at UBG (www.ubgholsters.com) ....good quality leather holsters.

My first holster was a Bianchi Accumold with a thumb break...then I realized I didn't need a thumbreak

Then I went to a Bianchi leather IWB

From there I had an Eagle Industries nylon OWB holster

Then I picked up a Blade-tech IWB kydex holster which I still use, but have since picked up a couple of Nate's holsters and a couple of Blackhawk SERPA holsters.

Use the right tool (holster) for the job.
    Last edited by SIGguy229; July 20th, 2010 at 04:53 PM.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links