Is it OK if I start a new post for Ladies CC?

This is a discussion on Is it OK if I start a new post for Ladies CC? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I used the search and found a page and a quarter worth of info--every thread save one is locked--so no live discussions. I read through ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it OK if I start a new post for Ladies CC?

Is it OK if I start a new post for Ladies CC?

I used the search and found a page and a quarter worth of info--every thread save one is locked--so no live discussions. I read through all posts that seemed pertinent--and some that didn't: still feel this is a conversation that could be renewed.

I read and learned a lot from both Cornered Cat & Limatune's sites. After combing through the locked topics, I gained some good insight. But still am struggling to find the right holster without dropping hundreds of dollars trying the whittle the choices down.

If this topic has been beaten to death, feel free to lock it. I wondered though, if there have been some changes/improvements since some of those older posts were written?
    In youth we learn; in age we understand. ~ Marie Von Ebner-Eschenbach

2. Remove Ads

Right now, I feel I know a lot more about what I don't want or like, than what I do. Even this is probably helpful.

A lot of carry info I find is from really curvy ladies--either cause they're super voluptuous or they're much heavier than me--or both.

I'm shaped more like a teenager--narrower hips, small waist, LONG torso, small chest. There's no doubt that I'm a girl, just fit/athletic. 5'3", 105Lbs: small but mighty. I'm divulging this so you get a sense of my frame vs. other women or men.

Carry a Kimber pro cdp II--4."

I always wear a belt and like wide belts (a + for carry). I wear jeans and fitted tees. Not skin tight, just size appropriate. I am open to finding a lightweight vest/jacket to help conceal, but I am not a sloppy, shirt un-tucked type of dresser. I live in GA: weather's usually good.

What I know doesn't work for me and why:

- no purse carry. Grab my purse and you've got my gun. bad.
    - no pocket carry. Ladies pockets ridiculously small.
    - no fanny pack. They are hideous: similar drawback to purse--get fanny pack, got gun.
    - no ankle holster. I will walk in circles...j/k
    - no bust carry. Not enough bust and I think it's stupid.
    - don't want to dress like a baggy gangster to conceal

I have an IWB crossbreed supertuck and found it totally unworkable for my body-type. Like trying to fit a cookie sheet in my pants. With my narrow waist, the width was nearly as wide as my back--so the loops were in awkward places, would ride up--and I couldn't get the holster positioned well. It was very comfortable--just totally wrong for my size.

What I think I need to focus on:

- think only a minimalist design will work for either OWB/IWB
    - may need a higher riding rig to take advantage of my long torso and relatively straight frame.
    - OWB might prove better, but I'm more committed to an IWB style that tucks.
    - I wonder if a cavalry-style draw would work better?
    - I wonder if a cross-draw rig would work better?
    - the Fist "close cropped" holster looks like it could work
    - sideguard "tuck clip" looks minimalist too

It's tricky to figure out when you can't just buy a bunch and give them a try!
    Last edited by freestate; July 20th, 2010 at 07:28 PM. Reason: spelling

This is why most gun owners have a Box-O-Holsters.

It really is trial and error.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I had the same experience as you with the Crossbreed Supertuck- that holster is definitely not made with the female frame in mind.

Let's start with the basics- what is your carry gun?

Personally I carry IWB, and I don't dress in baggy gangster clothes, like you I lean toward more fitted styles- so I know this is workable.
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

VIP Member
    You might want to try Wild Bill’s Covert Carry, from your description it may fit your requirements. While I am male I am somewhat of a short stature although I do have a bit of a belly. I have used this model for over five years and found it very secure, comfortable, conceals well and is tuckable. It pulls the butt in very close but does not gouge even when driving.

http://wildbillsconcealment.com.foun...ry.asp?catid=8
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Administrator
    freestate ~ Just FYI - You can start a new Talk Thread anytime.

Senior Moderator
    I'm 5'3" 105 lbs and long torso'd.

I'll admit that I have some hips to me but other than that I'm a pretty little gal.

I agree with you about not wanting to look baggy or "gangsta" and I do attempt to still look feminine while I conceal.

This is the most recent picture of me shooting/carrying.

You can't see my holster under the blue shirt but I am carrying OWB in this photo.

This is me that same day just with the overshirt off...

You can see how large the gun and holster combination are but you can also see that one can certainly wear feminine and fitting clothes and conceal OWB a larger handgun.

Not only are we similar in body type but we also carry the same sized gun.

I carry a 4.1" 1911 Wilson Combat.

And my preferred method of carry is certainly behind the hip carry.

I know you said you don't want to drop a lot of money on a holster and it's GREAT that you wear belts already because that will help you in the long run for comfort and concealability.

For someone with minimal curves I would try to stick to OWB so that you can wear pants that fit your very well so you are not pulling up your pants every few minutes because the weight of your gun pulls down your gun and pants.

In the pictures above I am totting in a UBG regulator. Honestly, it's my favorite holster of all time. It goes on and comes off easy. It has the best cant of any holster I've carried in to keep the gun VERY close to my body which helps immensely for concealment. I really can't say enough about this holster. It wasn't THAT expensive either. Mine has shark trim so it's a little more pricey than if it was just standard cow but it was still not as much as you would pay for some semi-custom leather out there.

Sure, there may be a holster out there that I could like better but I just haven't found it yet. Whenever I strap on my 1911 I fine myself reaching for the UBG.

Yes, I have and sometimes do carry in other ways such as IWB or shoulder holster but with such a heavy gun I find myself preferring the OWB. My frame is all steel which significantly adds to the weight.

I have also tried holsters like the Galco Avenger. That is a strong side holster and really has no cant so it's not recommended to be carried behind the hip making it stick out a bit further. I have never used it to conceal carry because, honestly, it just doesn't work for me in that way. I have carried in the Avenger to Open Carry events and that's about it.

Hmmm.. I'll have to go through my holster box and see what other holsters I have tried with success. Right now my brain is running on empty....

To be continued.....

The FIST would be a good choice, maybe a UBG Becker, or a high ride pancake.. with a small waist (your height/weight) it may take awhile to conform to your body. You're asking an age old question male or female. Good luck
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Senior Moderator
    PS.. because I am long waisted as well I would recommend mid-rise pants and jeans. Waist lines that are too low are going to force you to fight with feeling like they are going to fall off and may make your firearm less concealable and waist lines that are too high will make you feel like you are drawing into your arm pit and can make your gun dig into your sides or back when you are sitting or bending over. Mid-rise, I have found, is the best rise for girls and guns.

I carry a Kimber pro cdp II, 4."

Lima--great suggestion about pants. I, too, like to still look like a girl & most of my jeans are pretty low rise. You're right--if I did try to carry with my current jeans, I'd probably look like one of those poor young guys who belts their pants below their undies! Not a good look for anyone. It's about time for me to shop for new jeans--and your mid-rise suggestion comes at the right time!

Oh--just to clarify. I'm totally willing to drop a bundle on the right rig--but,having already discovered the crossbreed supertuck won't work for me, I now have visions of $65 going there, $150 in another direction, another $100 over here... LOL! You get the picture. So while I'm willing to buy a few--I'm not sure I can afford a big ol pile of holsters. On the other hand, if they're not custom, I can probably return some--and/or my best friend may be inheriting some holsters from me.
    Last edited by freestate; July 20th, 2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: added update

I have over three dozen Fist holsters and have found them to be fairly priced, quality holsters. I have two of the #12 Basic which work very well for me, but the Close Crop (slots a bit closer) looks like it would be a great holster for you.
    I know that you will not be disappointed with Fist.
    I also have had (IWB) Fist holsters for my Kimber CDP's...a Pro, a Compact, and an Ultra.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Have you considered appendix IWB. I am not female and really not as small as I was before i quit smoking. I have found I can wear a tshirt or other shirt that fits while wearing my Glock 26 @ 1 o clock. I wear it this way daily and do not have to wear baggy clothes. I realize your gun is a larger but something you may look into. The barrel lies in the crease of my leg when I sit and the grip is inside of my hip. I sometimes offset my belt buckle to reduce the slight buldge.

I haven't given as much thought to appendix carry as I have wanting a rearward holster. It feels more natural to me to reach back or to my side, than it does to go inward. I won't discount appendix carry--for sure not after reading so many positive reviews about them. For now, I do want to focus more on a strong side/kidney position.

I'm also quite interested in this thead. I have the same narrow hips/no witdh to hide gun on -problem.

My DH could probably conceal a rifle if he wanted to....bleh.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member
    Beginner here, two quick notes for you.

1) don't forget the extra magazine in your scenario. The guns are easier for me to deal with than these.

2) thrift/resale shops - I just bought a PILE of things at a nice resale shop to give me new ideas to experiment with on wardrobing. untucked slim shirts, loud prints, peplum style jackets. I got a short little flared trench coat that is adorable for about $6. It totally hides anything and is very fun. I am finding it is a combination of gun, holster, and clothes - I have changed my daily wearing routine to fit the gear. The thrift shop is a stressless way to try new styles, no big financial commitment. And who has money for clothes anyways, when there is so much shooting to do!

I have thought about blogging on daily wearables. There are so many good ideas and I've had plenty of bad ones too where you can't wait to get home. All in all though it is narrowing down and my friends are not looking at me funny so much.

Good luck and I look forward to your solutions.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links