Concealed Carry Holsters for physically challenged.

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Holsters for physically challenged. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone out there have experience with limited wrist movement caused by a fused wrist of the Strong Hand, and can perhaps offer some advice ...

Thread: Concealed Carry Holsters for physically challenged.

Concealed Carry Holsters for physically challenged.

Does anyone out there have experience with limited wrist movement caused by a fused wrist of the Strong Hand, and can perhaps offer some advice on concealed carry holsters?
    My carry weapon of choice is a Springfield XDM in .40 cal. Many years ago, prior to an accident and subsequent fusion surgery, I carried a Colt Python .357either in a Bianchi Shoulder rig, or in a Cross Draw Paddle-type holster, almost always under a suit coat or sport coat. I now choose the XDM with the superior amount of lead, over the old wheel-gun. But am having problems finding either cross-draw or shoulder rigs to securely carry and mask the presence of the larger XDM. I would greatly appreciate any advice you might be willing to offer.
    I live in west Central Florida (HOT and HUMID, so light cover shirts are 'de regeur'. I am of medium build, 6/1 tall and 205 lbs. I am seriously considering purchasing one of the many tactical vests I have seen advertised to mask the rig. Any suggestions here are also welcome.

Cheers.
    "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." Tacitus (A.D. 55?-130?)

2. Remove Ads

My Dad has fused wrists and he chooses a small of the back (SOB) holster. He draws thumb out, he needs almost no movement from his wrist to draw. He has very limited use of his wrists and hands and needs a pistol with a full fat grip or he will drop it. He cant even make a fist anymore.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Administrator
    As far as shoulder holsters are concerned the Alessi Bodyguard should be your first choice.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I think you would be best suited to OWB cross draw from the front. For example if you are right handed you would pull from holster located at 10:30 (left front side) therefore not having to turn wrist only point and shoot once firearm clears holster. You would give up slight concealability. I do not think SOB carry would suit you as that is a difficult place to draw from with good wrists but worth a try...but try it before you buy a SOB holster. IMHO Air Assault!

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
    My Dad has fused wrists and he chooses a small of the back (SOB) holster. He draws thumb out, he needs almost no movement from his wrist to draw. He has very limited use of his wrists and hands and needs a pistol with a full fat grip or he will drop it. He cant even make a fist anymore.
    Thanks for the advice, Ice Man. I will have to try a couple different rigs before I drop serious coin. The only thing I do not like about SOB leather is constantly getting the gun caught under chair rungs when I stand up.This happened several times in European cafes and restaurants, and my wife had to come to my rescue - the chair hooked over the pistol grip and came up with me when I tried to stand up.
    "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." Tacitus (A.D. 55?-130?)

Thank you for the make. I'll check into Alessi

Quote Originally Posted by mmirob View Post
    I think you would be best suited to OWB cross draw from the front. For example if you are right handed you would pull from holster located at 10:30 (left front side) therefore not having to turn wrist only point and shoot once firearm clears holster. You would give up slight concealability. I do not think SOB carry would suit you as that is a difficult place to draw from with good wrists but worth a try...but try it before you buy a SOB holster. IMHO Air Assault!
    Any Suggestions as to maker?

Quote Originally Posted by rflowers103 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, Ice Man. I will have to try a couple different rigs before I drop serious coin. The only thing I do not like about SOB leather is constantly getting the gun caught under chair rungs when I stand up.This happened several times in European cafes and restaurants, and my wife had to come to my rescue - the chair hooked over the pistol grip and came up with me when I tried to stand up.
    The thing I don't like about SOB holsters is that it's hard not to sweep your mid section with the muzzle when you draw.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Not concelled, but my buddy has a Serpa attached to his wheelchair.

Crossdraw and straight drop OWB are great options that my customers have chosen for their shoulder, arm or wrist problems.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by rflowers103 View Post

That sounds like a grip up holster- look at the palm out type- Galco's MOB.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    Crossdraw and straight drop OWB are great options that my customers have chosen for their shoulder, arm or wrist problems.
    Thank you Sir. Your Cross Guard looks good.

Links