Leatherworkers - question about exotics

This is a discussion on Leatherworkers - question about exotics within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a question for the holster makers / leather workers among us. How do you go about applying your exotic trim pieces? Are you ...

Thread: Leatherworkers - question about exotics

Leatherworkers - question about exotics

This is a question for the holster makers / leather workers among us. How do you go about applying your exotic trim pieces? Are you gluing and stitching them before you wet mold or after? I'm thinking you must do it before, cause it must be very difficult to sew on after the fact. Can you provide a brief outline of how you build a typical black holster with say a partial ostrich trim across the front - or point me to a howto / tutorial on how this is done. Thanks.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

2. Remove Ads

I've done only a few through the years. The trim needs to be cemented into place and stitched prior to forming the holster. Most of the exotics are quite thin and supple so they will form with the leather applied to. The exception seems to be snake skins; the scales tend to detach when heavily worked/stretched/boned. I don't like to leave edges exposed so I do a "window pane" installation with the exotic cemented onto the holster body then another piece of leather cemented and sewn around the edges with an opening to display the exotic. This secures the piece and provides a durable edge that won't permit the thinner exotic from separating due to abrasion or other problems.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loboleather View Post
    I've done only a few through the years. The trim needs to be cemented into place and stitched prior to forming the holster. Most of the exotics are quite thin and supple so they will form with the leather applied to. The exception seems to be snake skins; the scales tend to detach when heavily worked/stretched/boned. I don't like to leave edges exposed so I do a "window pane" installation with the exotic cemented onto the holster body then another piece of leather cemented and sewn around the edges with an opening to display the exotic. This secures the piece and provides a durable edge that won't permit the thinner exotic from separating due to abrasion or other problems.
    +1 on what he said. That is what I did on the one I've made! Putting it in a pane is the best idea I think!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Like Lobo. I also like the window pane solution for many exotics and for rattlesnake it is by far the best way to go.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I'm going to buck the trend just a little because I prefer to use the edge of the exotic itself, but it depends on the exotic since some like snake are just plain fragile. The thing about not inlaying though is thickness, if you do an inlay it's going to add another layer of cow to the design which is going to make it quite a bit thicker overall. I know allot of guys only do exotics on OWB rigs but personally I've had a huge interest in IWB exotics and as a result thickness is an issue, so I've found that as long as you use adhesive to bind the exotic down and stitch the edge it holds up quite well, also with IWB in particular you don't have as much abrasion because it's rather protected by the clothing.

Either way works just fine, seen some really nice inlay style of rigs but at least for my rigs I prefer to stick with the style that I've been doing just using the edge of the material, on the other hand I haven't actually built a rig with snake yet, been on my list but haven't gotten around to it. Mostly I do shark, elephant and ostrich in most cases.

Take care!

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

Gentlemen, thanks for you comments thus far. I'm still a little confused about dyeing. Do you do that before wet molding or after? You are doing your wet molding with the exotic already stitched on, right? What effect does water have on that?

Meant to reply to this the other day and forgot all about it.

I do my wet molding with the exotic in place, depends on how fragile the hide is I suppose you might have to change that process for certain things. So far I've been lucky and that has worked for the exotics that I like to work with.

On dyeing some guys do it before some after, if you go by Alessi's way you do both, the second dye evens things out after the wet molding. With exotics it does throw a wrench into things with dye though, and I guess it depends on colors involved, anything with contrast can be difficult with spirit based dyes, if I had a suggestion it would be to dye first, wet mold, then just touch up areas with an airbrush if needed at the end. Also generally if the exotic is black then there won't be as much issue with having dye show up on the darker material so to speak.

Take care!

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

Luke, thank you. This is exactly the info I was looking for. The reason for asking all these questions is because I was so inspired by your ostrich rig, that I decide to try and make a holster myself. I've bought leather and a few ostrich leg skins. I'm pretty handy, but just need to figure out some of the basics before jumping into it. I've read leatherworker.net until my eyes hurt. My next step is to acquire the basic tools and supplies - needles, thread, awl, groover, oversticth wheel, the stohlman art of sewing book, etc.

Links