S&W 642 Pocket and IWB

S&W 642 Pocket and IWB

This is a discussion on S&W 642 Pocket and IWB within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some observations I've had on concealing my 642. I'd appreciate ideas on the problem areas. Pocket holster - Currently using a Mika. Great to deal ...

Thread: S&W 642 Pocket and IWB

S&W 642 Pocket and IWB

Some observations I've had on concealing my 642. I'd appreciate ideas on the problem areas.

Pocket holster - Currently using a Mika. Great to deal with excellent price and fast turnaround. Accessability is very good, easy to reholster and the wide mouth offers good grip position while in the pocket. It stays put with virtually no movement.
    Issue:
    I wear mostly dress slacks.
    While seated the grips can start to show from the top of my pocket.
    The wide mouth that makes for easy access on Mika's holster adds at least an inch to the width at the backstrap of the 642. In jeans this isn't too noticable in lighter fabric dress slacks it makes for a pretty good size bulge.

IWB -
    My normal attire is a Jacket, dress shirt and slacks that need to be tucked. I've looked at most of the top manufactures and here are the issues I see.
    I need to wear dress belts which implies narrower and lighter than my typical gun belt for casual wear. The weight of the 642 isn't much of a problem so the smaller belt doesn't seem to hurt me.
    I'm not able to leave my jacket on all the time so the belt line will be visible.
    The large black clips of most IWB's stick out like a neon flag.
    The j-clips reduce the overall effect but against a brown belt they to are extremely obvious.

When I can dress casual life is much easier. I know I have some options like K Null's shoulder rig but for now I'm trying to find the best solution for the pocket and tucked IWB. Oh, FWIW I'm 5'8" and 170 lbs and shrinking

Assistant Administrator

The IWB issue is I think so very dress dependent.

I did tho recall someone woth pocket carry problems who had his pockets remade - in order to increase inside space and depth - mainly to help avoid grips showing - just maybe that could help here if you know a good seemstress.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

P95 Carry beat me to it. Have the pockets on some of your slacks enlarged a bit to alleviate the problem with pocket carry.

Another thought. I am your size and have, for brief period, been under similar clothing restrictions. On those rare occasions, I got by using a J-frame in an Alessi ankle holster. It is not as fast but it is less likely to draw attention. Naturally, the threat environment you operate in will dictate...

Welcome.

I like the enlarged pocket idea.

If you want to go tucked here is a interesting holster that may work for you. Take a look at Garrity's In-Discreet tuckable.

http://www.garritysgunleather.com/Po...tyHolsters.htm

I do not have any experience with it but it may fit your situation.

+1 on the Alessi ankle holster. Very comfortable with a 642.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

VIP Member
    Check this site. Their product may be what you need.
    http://www.abetterholster.com

I haven't tried it, but post 33 on the thread below is from someone who has used it for about 8 or 9 month.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...t=10719&page=4
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Some suggestions for you to consider.

I carry a Kel-Tec P3AT in a K&D 2n'1 holster - pic follows:

Note the large piece of rectangular leather attached to the holster and mag. When in the pocket this piece of leather just stops printing. In the pocket it tends to look like the outline of a wallet.

Now I know that you are carrying a J frame so take a look at the following pic and see if it might be helpful. You might even call the holstermaker and see what can be done for your particular situation.

GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Thanks for all the information.

Pocket update - I think I'm going to try a rig from Pocket Concealment Systems (PCS) www.pcsholsters.com also sold by www.lightningarms.com. Talked to both outfits and sounds like it may work. One of the issues with dress slacks is that the holster has more of a tendency to want to come out with the firearm (not good). The model Pocket Speed Scabbard that I'm getting has two pointed corners to help snag the pocket and stay put when drawing.
    I'll let you know how it works. Michael of PCS was great to talk with and had many opinions.

Still hanging out there on the IWS. The undershirt idea is looking pretty interesting.

Thanks
    DE

Welcome aboard!!!

May I suggest a "J-frame Coverup" from Tucker Gunleather. It's a IWB holster using one Comp-Tac clip. With A C-clip, the clip woiuld hardly show against your belt. And it is tuckable.

Bill

Bill - Tried to reach the Tucker folks this week but haven't heard from them. I thought I saw they were out of Houston so they may be having some difficulties down there with all the water. Not sure if anyone else carries them. I agree that it looks like a strong potential with the c-clips. I figure with a little touch up paint i could match a clips color to each of my belts.

Gary - Thanks for the welcome. You have some fine looking rigs. May be talking with you about one for my XD. Can you get interchangeable belt straps (color) for the Max-Con?

DE

Quote Originally Posted by DeadElephant
    Gary - Thanks for the welcome. You have some fine looking rigs. May be talking with you about one for my XD. Can you get interchangeable belt straps (color) for the Max-Con?

DE
    Yes. Loop sets are available in black or med. brown, in 1.25", 1.5" & 1.75" sizes.

Cool

Recently picked up a fist k-8 kydex IWB holster for my 642. Itís tuckable, has an adjustable cant and I chose the key ring belt loop (at bottom of the page of the link). I wear it at 1:30 (appendix carry). Tucks and carries well.

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/k1/K8.htm
    livin in the woods...feelin mighty good

The FIST #22 IWB holster comes in leather or Kydex and it uses a clip which cannot be seen. The "clip" simply goes over your waist band and attaches to the inside of your belt with velcro.

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/22.htm

Nick

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadElephant
    Bill - Tried to reach the Tucker folks this week but haven't heard from them. I thought I saw they were out of Houston so they may be having some difficulties down there with all the water. Not sure if anyone else carries them. I agree that it looks like a strong potential with the c-clips. I figure with a little touch up paint i could match a clips color to each of my belts.

DE
    We connected. Thanks.
    Rob

Thanks for all the information.

Pocket holster - from PCS via Lightning Arms the Pocket Speed Scabbard
    IWB - from Tucker Gunleather the J frame Cover - up.

I'll post feed back on each when I recieve them.

Recieved lots of good information from Rob at Tucker. Ordered extra clips in both black and brown which should really help in concealment.

Thanks to Rob at Tucker Gunleater www.tuckergunleather.com and Craig at Lightning Arms www.lightningarms.com

Sponsored Links