Summer mag carry - and the full belt!

This is a discussion on Summer mag carry - and the full belt! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do not as a matter of course have a spare mag on me all day and every day - certainly not when at home/office, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer mag carry - and the full belt!

Assistant Administrator

I do not as a matter of course have a spare mag on me all day and every day - certainly not when at home/office, which is a lot. Mostly it is when I am out I drop one in pocket of pants.

I do tho find my belt just not giving enough space to easily have a mag pouch all the time. Piece is on right and Leatherman on left - sometimes with Surefire clipped just in front of that.

Frankly - it's darned hard to find more room and retain comfort. When I shoot IDPA I remove Leatherman to make space for mag pouch.

More often than not I resort to mag in left pocket as with this time of year and in winter can manage a bit better because of better cover garment options.

So - you folks who use mag pouches - how much spare room do you have or make on your belt? I sometimes feel sorry for cops who have one heck of a lot of clutter to carry on a belt!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

My belt is pretty big so I have room for plenty of junk.

5" Kimber IWB, two spare mags IWB, blackberry, and surefire. All this and I am very comfortable. My wife calls me Batman.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    I have plenty of room left after I put on my holster w/1911 strong side and a dual mag carrier weak side. Would be able to carry a cell phone/flashlight, etc on my belt but chose not too. Will not carry a mag in my pants as there is too much of a chance of picking up lint, dirt, wahtever that could disable it.

I can manage to fit a full size service pistol, 2 mags, OC, and a SF G2. That's all behind the two points of the hip. My phone goes in front but sticks out so far I have to pull the shirt up over it, I need a better method of carry for my phone..or a smaller phone. I have no clue where I'd put a leatherman. The shape of my torso makes things behind the point of the hip disappear, but in front sticks out like crazy.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Pistol placed just behind right hip. Spare mag same position on left hip. Cell phone in front of left hip.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Assistant Administrator
    Looks like my Leatherman would have to go easily manage mag pouch - but I can guarantee - the one day I leave that sucker off my belt - will be the day it is needed in extremis!!

It gets used almost daily anyways
    Chris - P95

Lead Moderator
    I have very little spare room too. If I were to wear my phone, knife, gun and spare mag on the belt, it would look strange. Too many bulges under the shirt. I can get by with a spare mag, gun and phone on the belt, but need to put my knife elsewhere.
    Seems like with the phone, badge wallet, note book, pen and keys I run out of pockets fast too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I have a good amount of room on my belt after carrying spare mag, light, cuffs, badge and gun.

As a habit, I always carry at least one spare mag for each gun I carry; not so much to have extra ammo, but since most semi-auto malfunctions are ammo/magazine-related, it's a safety buffer to help me out in the event I do have ammo/magazine problems.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Hey Chris,

Let me share a brief story - About ten years or so ago I happened to be in a gun shop/indoor range owned by one of my customers. During our conversation, I realized that my carry ammo had been in my Glock for somewhere between six months and a year. (Obviously time to change it out.)

I stepped out onto the range to burn up what was in the gun and spare mag (with the intention of loading up some fresh Cor Bon while I was there).

Well, imagine my surprise when the pistol in question fired one round and went click! Training kicked in and I did a "Tap, Rack, Bang", except that it went "Tap, Rack, Click"!

I cleared the weapon, and low and behold - the mag spring had broken. I had been running around with a single shot pistol for God only knows how long.

The moral of the story? First, I put Wolff springs in my magazines now, and I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS carry a spare mag (or two).
    (I have heard similar stories by a couple of other folks over the years - some with broken mag springs, some with jammed followers.)

The thing to remember is this - if you need a mag, you will likely be in a really BIG hurry for it. You will also probably be crouching behind cover (making the one in your pocket unavailable, or at least really slow to obtain). In that event, well, let's just say Bumper might have need for another Lead Moderator. (And we would all miss you a bunch)

Obviously, you are a VERY proficient shooter and tactician. I've read enough of your posts to recognize that. However, I feel the need to point out that you need to clear some crap off of your belt to make room for a mag pouch. (I doubt that you're gonna get killed if it takes a minute or two to access your leatherman )

Assistant Administrator
    (I doubt that you're gonna get killed if it takes a minute or two to access your leatherman )
    Haha - right you are Gary. And you do make a point too - which in essence means in as many words - if Murphy has decided today is FUBAR day - that's what it'll be and woe betide if you don't have that spare mag.

Good food for thought and thx - at least I do have a paddle <groan> mag holder deal and I do know I can put that on quick without belt undoing - in fact my single Galco come to think of it (bought from member here) - is also not too bad. Time I tried to be more efficient methinks.!
    you are a VERY proficient shooter and tactician
    You flatter me Gary and thank you but I'd only claim the label ''average''. I am behind the curve compared to many here.
    Chris - P95

I agree with Gary. You have got to make room. I carry either an XD-40 or PT-111 (both have 13 rounds). I carry a spare mag not only for the extra ammo, but in case there is a failure in my primary mag. Most failures in a semi-auto are due to magazine problems. I carry my pistol on my strong side with a Gould & Goodrich mag/flashlight holder with a Streamlight TL-2 on my weak side. I also have my cell phone weak side and my keys, wallet, credentials, Spyderco Endura, small can of pepper spray, and Leatherman in my pockests. A good belt is a must with all of that gear.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

Chris, how about the Leatherman SideClip? My wife bought one for me several years ago and that sometimes rides in the front weakside pocket. Not as many tools as the Wave model but pliers, knife blade and a few screwdrivers in a nice thin package. It usually lives in my range bag now but I ALWAYS carry at least one Benchmade and often two so a Leatherman is a secondary concern most days.

I'd originally ordered one of Gary's single Def-Con mag pouches with my MCV but he called on the day of shipping and offered me a KILLER deal on upgrading to a dual pouch so that's what I carry - thanks Gary!

I rarely carry my Surefire due to available belt space but I may very well order one of Gary's combo pouches so I can have both. For now other expenses have to take priority. Knowing your preference for Kevin's work, I'm sure the two of you could figure out a system that would allow you to carry the 226, spare mags, Leatherman, Surefire and probably an Espresso machine to boot!

Really hate to think of you walking around out there without a possible reload should the worst happen. Personally, I feel my spare mag is just as crucial to my safety as my .45 and my Benchmade.
    Jack

Assistant Administrator
    I have considered Jack - having Kevin do me some combo stuff, we even chatted on that way back. Thing is poor guy is so busy I hate to hassle him. So it all stays on back burner.

Reason I keep the Wave on belt is - the most used aspect is the pliers!!! Not sure if the side-clip has pliers beefy enough. I have Kershaw folder for knife so that's covered but not the pliers and gizzmo's. Good thought tho.

I think with some rearrangment I could pursuade the Galco pouch I have to fit - it has a belt clip. May be way to go. Surefire is off belt now in summer, being in small front pocket of 5.11 type shorts - trouble is that tends to wear thru over time!

Shucks - the logistics of carry gear vs comfort
    Chris - P95

Chris I got it all figured out for ya buddy. Leatherman sells a pocket clip for the Wave! http://www.leatherman.com/shop/shop.aspx?category=32 I usually carrymy Kahr P40 IWB R. side, Leatherman Charge XTi with pocket clip RF.,spare mag. and tool bits for the Leatherman on L. side in a Gerber Multitool pouch. It`s got a big colorful Gerber MultiTool label sewn on it so if my shirt rides up,who cares. Since I got the Charge with the pocket clip (same clip as the Wave uses and detachable too) and 154CM blade I don`t even carry another knife (unless you count the Micra on my keys and the credit card knife in my wallet ). Kinda a shame I have a big drawer of pocket knives just sitting there feeling lonely. I seldom carry a cell phone but then I do I just clip on my pocket next to the Charge. Marcus

Assistant Administrator
    Hi Marcus - well that is most useful info and I think I'll follow that up - could be just what I need to help spread the ''equipment'' better.

Thx a lot
    Chris - P95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links