Love my new Crossbreed Super Tuck except for....................

This is a discussion on Love my new Crossbreed Super Tuck except for.................... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ......when I get in my car. I have had my ST for several days now and I absolutely love the way it conceals my little ...

Thread: Love my new Crossbreed Super Tuck except for....................

Love my new Crossbreed Super Tuck except for....................

......when I get in my car.

I have had my ST for several days now and I absolutely love the way it conceals my little PF-9. It's very comfortable at any position (3:00 through 4:30 is what I've tried so far) while walking around or even lounging on the couch. I start to encounter problems when I get in my car. The grip of my gun really starts to dig into my back and since the holster is so stable, I really can't push the grip down any like I can with my lightweight nylon holster. Of course, the nylon holster doesn't distribute the weight and always moves around while carrying, hence the reason for moving to the ST. I have tried several different set-ups on my ST, and I'd really rather wear it with the clips on the top holes on the front and the back, with it positioned about 4:00. This really conceals the gun well, but when I sit down into my car, the leather from the bottom of ST hits my leg and subsequently pushes the holster up my back some making it really uncomfortable while driving. Also, having the grip of the gun so close to my belt line is very comfortable and concealable while walking around, but when I sit in my car, the grip is forced downward and buries into my side...ouch! I've also tried putting some extreme forward cant on the holster and moving the holster around the 3:00 position. It is somewhat better for driving, but not as concealable when I'm walking around.

So my question is, how exactly do you set up your ST where it is comfortable both during regular wear AND while you are driving? Which holes do put the front and back steel clips in (assuming you are right handed) and what position do you wear it at (3:00 or 4:00, etc..). Thanks for any insight/comments.
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

2. Remove Ads

I'm wearing my new ST for my G19 right now. I wore it running errands today. It's my first day with it, and I want to break it in. I carry at 3:00 o'clock. I usually rides nicely between the seat belt buckle and the backrest. I pull my shirt over it for easy access while driving. If you do get it digging into your back, it is hard to reposition without opening your trousers and loosening your belt.

Try a couple different positions. My Glock is wider than your PF9.

/not that I'm a braggart.
    Last edited by MadMac; July 27th, 2010 at 05:48 PM.

I get a little bit of back pain if I wear my pistol in the ST while driving. My end all solution is to keep the doors locked and put my pistol in the glove box. It does help a little if I lean forward and pull the holster towards the seat. I am not a big guy but this helps my extra fat around my waist settle a bit. But again, the only thing that helps 100% is placing my P-11 in the glove box.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    I use my CST on a 5 stitch Wilderness Tactical belt and position it at about 3:30. I am wearing it now with a full size 5" Colt 1911 and don't feel it. I also don't have any discomfort while driving. I am 5'7" and 220 and I have loooove handles. My clips are positioned with the rear in the bottom hole and the front in the top. This puts the holster top even with the pants top or slightly below and provides an FBI cant. I tried every possible combination and found this to be the most comfortable and concealable. I don't get concerned about having to draw while seated since I have another 1911 in a holster attached to the underside of the dash within hands reach. When I exit my vehicle the "truck gun" goes in a lockable safe/console on the trarsmission hump.

I will also be trying the 3:00 position. I had problems in the past with the holster migrating rearward until a clip ran into a belt loop. Trying again.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

cmb
    you said, "I've also tried putting some extreme forward cant on the holster and moving the holster around the 3:00 position. It is somewhat better for driving, but not as concealable when I'm walking around."

Maybe your noticing something that may not be noticeable to others... you may just be conscious of it.

I do not own a ST but can you lower the belt clip to raise the gun up a little (or raise the part which secures the gun) when I carried a PF9 I found I had to get the gun up a little higher, my belt did not go across the back of the trigger guard but the top edge of my belt went more across the middle to forward part of the trigger guard if that makes any sense. Higher made for more comfort and an easier grip for me since the grip didn't sit right on my belt...that darn thing is so light anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    you said, "I've also tried putting some extreme forward cant on the holster and moving the holster around the 3:00 position. It is somewhat better for driving, but not as concealable when I'm walking around."

Maybe your noticing something that may not be noticeable to others... you may just be conscious of it.
    You are probably somewhat correct. After typically carrying at 4:00 or 4:30, trying the 3:00 position just doesn't seem as concealable. When looking in the mirror, the gun bulge at 3:00 just sticks out like a sore thumb....in my eyes at least. I do like having the top of the gun closer to my elbow so I can check it's location without using my hand. I am exprimenting right now with the 3:00-3:15 position while driving. We'll see.....
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

if you have a little bulge under your shirt,if people even notice it they will think it's a phone
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

EBC
    i had the same problem when i got mine a few weeks age. I found the if I drop the front clip down one hole it solved.
    ***NRA Life Member***
    ***DAV member***
    ***American Legion member***
    ***CCDL member***

I am wearing my Glock 19 again today with the ST. I was initially annoyed with the way it rubbed on the seam of my leg, but moved it back an inch, and now it feels great. I have a slight bulge at 3:00 o'clock, but I am positive no one notices under my print camp shirt. It's about 90 degrees here and humid, and I wear shorts, flip flops, and a camp shirt and still manage to tote a G19 all day with the ST.

What makes Crossbreed holsters so good, in my opinion, is their thinness, and ability to spread the weight of your sidearm across a broad section of your belt. The fancy leather holsters simply take up too much room in my waistband. Almost any other holster is more attractive, but for a comfortable concealment holster, I haven't found anything better in my large Box O' Holsters (tm).

The FIST holsters are good, too, for their thinness and variety of styles. However, they don't have an ability to spread the weight of the gun, so I use the FIST for the lightweight S&W 642 and occasionally my Kimber Ultra. However, my ST for my Kimber is always my preferred method of carry.
    Last edited by MadMac; July 28th, 2010 at 01:33 PM.

AzB
    Positioning is so important with any holster, especially with the ST since as you mentioned, it's very stable and can't be easily adjusted on the fly.

I wear at 4:00 since I carry a big gun and it conceals better. It's comfortable enough for short trips that I don't worry too much. But on longer drives, I simply slide the holster around to 3:00 and it's a lot better. If I'm going on a long trip, and can wear a jacket, I wear a shoulder holster. They're the most comfortable in a car, but obviously hard to get away with in the summer.

Keep trying different positions and you'll find a solution.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

UPDATE:

Thanks for all the advice on positioning. Last night I strapped my CBST onto my new 5 stitch Wilderness Belt which I really like BTW. I really think this belt has helped with comfort because it can be adjusted precisely to the snugness I like. I will never wear a leather belt again!

Anyway I've found it comfortable to drive with the gun at approximately the 3:30-4:00 position with the front clip on the very top hole and the back clip on the second from the bottom hole. Very comfortable now when driving around town and still concealable when walking around.
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

Quote Originally Posted by carryon View Post
    UPDATE:

Thanks for all the advice on positioning. Last night I strapped my CBST onto my new 5 stitch Wilderness Belt which I really like BTW. I really think this belt has helped with comfort because it can be adjusted precisely to the snugness I like. I will never wear a leather belt again!

Anyway I've found it comfortable to drive with the gun at approximately the 3:30-4:00 position with the front clip on the very top hole and the back clip on the second from the bottom hole. Very comfortable now when driving around town and still concealable when walking around.
    Well...it seems you have found almost precisely the position I was going to suggest (except mine is closer to 4:00 than 3:30....the front clip is just barely behind 3:00). I prefer a leather belt, but have twice as many holes in that section that I use.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

This is how I have mine set up. I drive upwards of 8 to 9 hours a day. 3:30 to 4:00 (Right handed)

Like most others I keep mine at about 3:18 or so just a bit behind the 3 oclock position, the front clip is one notch higher thus giving the weapon a slight forward cant and just deep enough to clear the waistband on my pants. It's comfortable sitting in the vehicle or a chair and readily accessible for drawing. Wearing a loose t-shirt gives me plenty of concealment and mine are long enough that they cover the weapon in any position.

Links