IWB Holster for Qualification/Competition Courses?

This is a discussion on IWB Holster for Qualification/Competition Courses? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I have a Tucker Answer IWB on order. Wondering if it will be good enough to do LEO qualification courses or should I also ...

Thread: IWB Holster for Qualification/Competition Courses?

Hi,

I have a Tucker Answer IWB on order. Wondering if it will be good enough to do LEO qualification courses or should I also invest in a good OWB holster. I recently purchased an XD45C with a combat action job I want to qualify with. I originally thought I would use the Kydex holster that came with the gun, but it's pure junk. I'm not sure if an IWB (like the Answer) may slow down my times for presentation.

Thanks
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

When I retired, I started doing the annual qualification courses with an OWB Milt Sparks 55BN. But I also use an IWB VM2 during the summer, so this year I decided to use the VM2 for qualification.

The VM2 was fine. I can't get a full firing grip because of the sweat shield, so it's a little slower. But our courses aren't based on speed, so a slightly slower draw wasn't a problem.

I can't draw the pistol with my support hand when using the VM2. So for one-handed drills with the support hand, I had to pull on my belt and waistband until I could reach the forward loop, then pull the holster around until I could reach the frame. It's slow, but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Dave View Post
    When I retired, I started doing the annual qualification courses with an OWB Milt Sparks 55BN. But I also use an IWB VM2 during the summer, so this year I decided to use the VM2 for qualification.

The VM2 was fine. I can't get a full firing grip because of the sweat shield, so it's a little slower. But our courses aren't based on speed, so a slightly slower draw wasn't a problem.

I can't draw the pistol with my support hand when using the VM2. So for one-handed drills with the support hand, I had to pull on my belt and waistband until I could reach the forward loop, then pull the holster around until I could reach the frame. It's slow, but it works.
    Thanks, but your qualification course isn't timed on any phase? Here is our course, much easier than the course I fired before retiring and the state minimum to qualify:

Fifty (50) round course with the dominated hand.
    Target used is the NYSP B-27 target.
    A passing score of 70 percent (175 of a possible 250) with factory ammunition is required.
    3 yard line – 12 rounds fired in two phases:
    Phase # 1 – 6 rounds fired in two round increments – no time limit
    Phase # 2 – 6 rounds fired in 6 seconds
    7 yard line – 18 rounds fired in two phases:
    Phase # 1 – 12 rounds fired in 25 seconds with one reload
    15 yard line – 12 rounds fired in 40 seconds with one reload
    25 yard line – 8 rounds fired in 40 seconds with one reload
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified

Quote Originally Posted by ajgranda View Post
    Thanks, but your qualification course isn't timed on any phase? Here is our course, much easier than the course I fired before retiring and the state minimum to qualify:

Fifty (50) round course with the dominated hand.
    Target used is the NYSP B-27 target.
    A passing score of 70 percent (175 of a possible 250) with factory ammunition is required.
    3 yard line – 12 rounds fired in two phases:
    Phase # 2 – 6 rounds fired in 6 seconds
    7 yard line – 18 rounds fired in two phases:
    Phase # 1 – 12 rounds fired in 25 seconds with one reload
    15 yard line – 12 rounds fired in 40 seconds with one reload
    25 yard line – 8 rounds fired in 40 seconds with one reload
    I don't think you'll have any problem. If you can do that qual with a duty rig, the IWB won't slow you down enough to make a critical difference.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i am not sure why you would choose to carry with a gun that might slow your draw and presentation time to begin with...isnt that as important in a self defense situation as it is in qualifying?...although i dont see where it would slow your times considerably...

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    i am not sure why you would choose to carry with a gun that might slow your draw and presentation time to begin with...isnt that as important in a self defense situation as it is in qualifying?...although i dont see where it would slow your times considerably...
    I haven't received the holster yet, so I don't know if it will slow me down. It's a hybrid leather/leather IWB that retains it shape. Ideally I think we would all like to carry with an OWB holster for comfort and speed, but that is not how I can conceal, except for the Late Fall/Winter. So, even though I qualified last year with an OWB holster (and G26 at the time), it's not what I usually use for carry.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified

VIP Member
    I have a Milt Sparks 'PMK' (OWB) and a Alessi 'Deep Concealment' (IWB). For the range, an OWB will be faster and easier to re-holster. Still, I can use the Alessi almost as well. I suppose it depends on whether you want to train for speed vs. performance with your daily carry. Personally, when I finally bite the bullet ($) and attend a MAS40 course, I'll likely go with my OWB and focus on my form. Though I consider myself a fair shooter, I haven't trained professionally in years.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I have the Comp-Tac MTAC holster which is very similar to the Answer. The way I have to wear it the grip is pulled tightly to my body making it a little more difficult to get a fast grip on the pistol, luckily I'm very soft where the grip contacts my body...[sigh]. Even with me wearing my belt very tight I can still re-holster one-handed. I'd be curious to know how much slower it is than a OWB holster, might have to see next time I'm on a shot-timer. I just bought a Safariland 6377/6378 ALS OWB holster that I figured I'd use for my RLEO H.R.218 Qualifications.

ajgranda,

I should have phrased my response a little better. Our qualification courses are timed, but a really fast draw isn't needed to qualify. An IWB holster with a sweat sheld doesn't slow you down enough to make a big difference. I prefer IWB during the hottest months of the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by ajgranda View Post
    Hi,

I have a Tucker Answer IWB on order. Wondering if it will be good enough to do LEO qualification courses or should I also invest in a good OWB holster. I recently purchased an XD45C with a combat action job I want to qualify with. I originally thought I would use the Kydex holster that came with the gun, but it's pure junk. I'm not sure if an IWB (like the Answer) may slow down my times for presentation.

Thanks
    Since you are retired LEO, you aren't new to the game, so in my mind you won't be in the same league as new concealed carriers. For that population who are still getting used to running the gun, I'd advise a good OWB holster. But you know the drills, so my simple advice is that the equipment you use on a daily basis is the equipment you should use for training and qualification. In a dangerous social situation there won't be any timers present.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Thanks for the replies guys. I agree with training with what and how you carry daily is best. When I qualified last year, we had one retiree with a duty rig on.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified

I like to qualify with what hoslter I carry. I run a qual course with my G23 and duty rig. Then I also run the same course with my off-duty set-up. Right now I am using my G27 in a Milt Sparks SS II. The presentation and reholstering ability with this holster is amazing. It doesn't slow me down.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

It will work fine for you.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I decided to go ahead an order an OWB anyway since that is how I like to carry in cooler/colder weather. I ordered Tuckers Silent Thunder STX belt holster. It is designed for concealment and rides a little high and tight with an FBI cant. I plan to alternate holsters at the range, but use the OWB to qualify for now. Thanks

http://www.tuckergunleatherblog.com/...under-stx-owb/
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified

Sponsored Links