Retro look holster for S&W m36-1

This is a discussion on Retro look holster for S&W m36-1 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last Saturday I bought an S&W, nickel, 36-1, 3" bl. revolver DOM circa 1977 and today while looking through a box of old holsters I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retro look holster for S&W m36-1

Retro look holster for S&W m36-1

Last Saturday I bought an S&W, nickel, 36-1, 3" bl. revolver DOM circa 1977 and today while looking through a box of old holsters I found the perfect holster for it. I believe I purchased this holster in the mid to late 70s. I think it compliments the gun with a great retro look. The holster is a Bucheimer, Sheriff B32-13. I also found this type of holster for a 4" K frame and a 2 1/2" K frame. I guess you never know what you might come across stuffed away in a closet.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Mardet65; July 31st, 2010 at 03:28 PM.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

2. Remove Ads

Cool. I still have one of those somewhere in one of my holster boxes

That's pretty darn cool.

VIP Member
    Nice, wonder if Jack Webb would have had one like it.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I hate to dampen spirits here, but a holster with the trigger exposed is not one I would use.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I hate to dampen spirits here, but a holster with the trigger exposed is not one I would use.OMO
    Exactly what I was thinking ret.

GM
    That was very cool.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

The holster is a Bucheimer, Sheriff B32-13. I also found this type of holster for a 4" K frame and a 2 1/2" K frame. I guess you never know what you might come across stuffed away in a closet.
    Retro look indeed. The Bucheimer holsters haven't been made since the 1970s as far as I know. Here is a Bucheimer Federal Man that I have. There are still a few of them around.
    Attached Images

You never know what you'll find when you dig around...of course, I usually find stuff after I've already bought something else. The exposed trigger wouldn't be optimal for a carry gun set-up, but if it's going to be a HD, truck, farm, or range fun gun it would probably be fine. Nice find...on both the wheel gun and the holster!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I think it good great. The trigger is exposed on alot of holsters especially on a wheel gun.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I found an unused Bucheimer on eBay for a low price a few years ago. Still in the plastic bag. Model # is B01-004 15.

I carry a Smith Model 10 snubby in it. And yes, the trigger is totally exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    First off, I appreciate your concern but I wouldn't use any holster that was unsafe. Secondly, if you'll notice, the cylinder is secured from turning in a recess in the leather. There is also a metal clamp within the leather that pushes against the cylinder to keep it from turning. Thirdly, not enough of the trigger is exposed to allow it to be pulled accidently even if the cylinder wasn't secured as noted. I've tested it. In order to pull the trigger even intentionally you need to remove it from the belt and forcibly insert your finger into the trigger guard well beyond the protective leather overlap. I believe the angle of the photograph makes the trigger appear more accessible than it really is. I would and will use this holster with complete confidence.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yeah, kind of hard to turn a cylinder inside a holster. Too much mechanics.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Originally Posted by retsupt99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardet65 View Post
    First off, I appreciate your concern but I wouldn't use any holster that was unsafe. Secondly, if you'll notice, the cylinder is secured from turning in a recess in the leather. There is also a metal clamp within the leather that pushes against the cylinder to keep it from turning. Thirdly, not enough of the trigger is exposed to allow it to be pulled accidently even if the cylinder wasn't secured as noted. I've tested it. In order to pull the trigger even intentionally you need to remove it from the belt and forcibly insert your finger into the trigger guard well beyond the protective leather overlap. I believe the angle of the photograph makes the trigger appear more accessible than it really is. I would and will carry use this holster with complete confidence.
    The exposed trigger doesn't give me much concern with my old Bucheimer holster with the retention strap holding the hammer down. The old holster is comfortable, easy to carry and of good quality. It is however less than optimal for concealed carry use as I have other holsters that snug the gun in to my side better. If I was on open carry kind of guy I would be perfectly happy using an old Bucheimer holster.

Back in the day there were lots of holsters came out to help insure weapon retention but have a fast draw,we used a safariland rig that had a thumbsnap that wrapped around the front top of the holster,once the snap was popped you drew the gun forward and snapped the barrel out thru the open front that was kept closed with a flat metal spring sewn into the holster,it was impossible to draw the gun from the rear as the trigger guard had leather that covered it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links