OWB Leather holster: Snaps vs. Vertical Slots?

This is a discussion on OWB Leather holster: Snaps vs. Vertical Slots? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering an OWB leather but have the option of going with either snaps or the standard vertical slots as found on many pancake holsters. ...

Thread: OWB Leather holster: Snaps vs. Vertical Slots?

OWB Leather holster: Snaps vs. Vertical Slots?

I'm considering an OWB leather but have the option of going with either snaps or the standard vertical slots as found on many pancake holsters.

Do the holsters with snaps support the gun as well as the holsters with slots? Do they hold the gun in as close to the body?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    For OWB, I tend to prefer slots. The couple of holsters I have tried with snaps work alright, but they don't seem to ride as tight to the body as holsters with slots. Possibly I just haven't found the right one.

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I have an Alessi CQC/S for my G19, and it holds everything in as close as any other OWB. It's actually a little better than some since it's rides a little lower than a lot of the super high-ride pancake type holsters. Balances a little better on the belt.

I have a K&D laredo defender with snaps and a High Noon Slide Guard with slots for my Glock 19. I wear the Laredo Defender 90% of the time. It's a lot more comfortable and rides lower than the Slide Guard. The Slide Guard holds the weapon in a litttle tighter but rides higher and dosen't "contour" to my waist as well.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Snaps, clips, or slots...they all work, but I find that the slotted holsters hold the firearm a bit tighter against the body. Putting the holster on and taking it off is a tad bit more effort, but not really a problem.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've been making pancake-style holsters since 1972, added snap-loop belt attachment models along the line, and recently designed the Enhanced Pancake model. All of these styles work very well for many folks.

For those who must regularly go into restricted areas the snap-loop models are very convenient.

I carry a full-size 1911 daily in my Enhanced Pancake model and sometimes forget that I even have it on.

Pancake-style holsters are usually my first recommendation because they provide the best balance among the factors of comfort, security, accessibility, and concealability. When worn with a sturdy belt the pancakes are difficult to beat.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

I have a few holsters with each and agree with what has been said previously - slots are usually more stable and tend to hold the holster closer to the body. However, snaps are almost as good and allow for installing/removing the holster without removing your belt. If that is important, then go with snaps (or a paddle). If not, go with slots. I usually prefer slots since easy removal is not a priority with me.
    NRA Life Member

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by marklbucla View Post
    I'm considering an OWB leather but have the option of going with either snaps or the standard vertical slots as found on many pancake holsters.

Do the holsters with snaps support the gun as well as the holsters with slots? Do they hold the gun in as close to the body?
    Between the wife and I we have a couple of each, our UBG Regulators and my Minotaur Gladiator from Comp-Tac all hold the gun in nice and tight.

I tend to prefer the slots, but the ease of the snaps is starting to win me over.

Distinguished Member
    You might need to consider the ride height and the cant of the holster also. I tried a snap on OWB holster and it rode to low for how I like to dress and I find that the snaps add a little bulk to the holster. This might not be true with all snap on OWB holster, but that would be a question that I would ask.

I prefer slots on a pancake style OWB. Particularly like the Alessi (for my PPK/S) and the Kramer Belt Scabbard (for my G19 and Kahr CW9). Best for me; tighter ride and seems more secure.

Senior Moderator
    I LOVE the snaps. It's what I prefer and I find my holsters hold my firearms close enough.

VIP Member
    +1 on the UBG Regulator. It may hold a TINY bit less tightly to the body than a really tight slotted pancake, but the convenience of the snaps is worth it to me.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBulldawg View Post
    I have an Alessi CQC/S for my G19, and it holds everything in as close as any other OWB. It's actually a little better than some since it's rides a little lower than a lot of the super high-ride pancake type holsters. Balances a little better on the belt.
    What he said. Best OWB ever.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Links