G17 Gen4 needs a holster or two

This is a discussion on G17 Gen4 needs a holster or two within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Picked one up yesterday. I used my Comp-tac C-tac slide holster. The G17 got a little hot. Using the slide holster allows part of the ...

Thread: G17 Gen4 needs a holster or two

G17 Gen4 needs a holster or two

Picked one up yesterday. I used my Comp-tac C-tac slide holster. The G17 got a little hot. Using the slide holster allows part of the slide to protrude beyond the slide. Thus, it got a little hot.

Thinking about an OWB for range/competition and an IWB for CC. Blade-Tech or Comp-tac for OWB range use? Another C-tac with full cover? The Super Tuck looks interesting. But, the large piece of leather or horsehide could feel hot in Texas in the summer.

2. Remove Ads

txfolfer45;

I'm looking at the Gen 4 myself. I have the Gen 2 & 3 but understand the 4 have some nice changes. Good luck with the holster.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ABC111 View Post
    txfolfer45;

I'm looking at the Gen 4 myself. I have the Gen 2 & 3 but understand the 4 have some nice changes. Good luck with the holster.
    The Gen4 has an extended mag release, interchangeable backstraps, improved grip texture and different recoil spring assembly. It shoots better than my Gen3 G19.

Yes, I know. It has alot better grip and a few extras. I've had mine stippled & tricked out, all the way, but still looking a the 4's. I'm a 1911 guy but have a better outlook on the Glocks.

Just finished a Regional Glock Match a few weeks ago - didn't do very well but still had a great time.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

I'm a 1911 and Glock guy. LOL Started with Glocks and then migrated to 1911s. I find the Glocks easier to carry due to weight difference.

Quote Originally Posted by ABC111 View Post
    Yes, I know. It has alot better grip and a few extras. I've had mine stippled & tricked out, all the way, but still looking a the 4's. I'm a 1911 guy but have a better outlook on the Glocks.

Just finished a Regional Glock Match a few weeks ago - didn't do very well but still had a great time.
    What's that all about? Better outlook on the Glocks? Cool I think!
    I'm still looking for more 4th generation reviews myself. Glad you made a Glock match...that's always good. Hot? Yep.......we're fixin' to get it here too along with the humidity we've been having. Hard decision between kydex and leather, but we do know that leather takes in moisture. Kydex does not. If you're looking for a minimalist holster for your G17 4th gen, then I might know of some. OWB...Fist #10, Don Hume J.I.T. Slide, High Noon holsters, etc. IWB, DeSantis Scorpion, Galco SkyOps, and High Noon holsters again. When it's hot it's hot, and sometimes carrying a pistol on you makes you even hotter in some places. Never loose sight of the reasons why we do what we do in order to preserve ourselves and keep our earth bound human bodies from dropping into the temperature zone of discontinued existence.
    I'm still using Fobus holsters for competition no matter what the temperatures. I figure if a holster that has no brain can make a difference in any way, then I'm surely able to overcome any shortcomings of an average holster with my own mind and abilities and make things come out equal in some way. Competition is a once a month thing for me. Carrying is a full time ordeal. Your mind needs to be on top of things first and in control....next comes finding the best gear to make it all happen. Some think that maybe the gear will make up for shortcomings of the mind. This is eludes to a false sense of security and a certain dependence on something else other than yourself in order to attain one's goal. I'm just sayin'.

Turns out my Blackhawk Serpa OWB that I use for my G19 will work for my G17 for range work. I'll use the C-Tac slide for now until I decide on one specifically sized for the G17.

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/12.htm
    Best OWB holster I've ever had...rides high and is tight against the body.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links