Comfort Carry Holster Review

This is a discussion on Comfort Carry Holster Review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wanted to give a clear and hopefully concise review on the Comfort Carry Holster Kydex/Leather holster. I will compare this holster to the Comp-Tac ...

Thread: Comfort Carry Holster Review

Comfort Carry Holster Review

I wanted to give a clear and hopefully concise review on the Comfort Carry Holster Kydex/Leather holster. I will compare this holster to the Comp-Tac Minotaur, and the Crossbreed holster. Both of which I have used.

A little background that may help. I am 6'5 230, I Conceal Carry 7 days a week. I wear normal fitting clothes (nothing real baggy), I have carried a XD45c, Kahr CW9, and a Glock 19.

I am not LEO, just an average Joe who was so confused when it came to finding the right holster, that it took me three tries before I finally settled on which holster company I felt had the best holster for my needs. I know not everyone will agree with my opinion but thats whats great about America you can choose your own opinion. No need to be a hater, but would love to hear your thoughts as well. Now on to the review

MATERIALS:
    Comp-Tac - top shelf leather and Kydex used. Craftsmanship I felt was of high quality. Did not feel like any corners were cut. Kydex mold fit was good

Crossbreed - Ok materials, IMHO not on par with the Comp-Tac, or with the Comfort Carry. Kydex mold fit was good. Seemed like a few steps may have been skipped in the leather work. Not critical steps just small things that the other two companies seemed to do.

Comfort Carry - Great materials, leather was a little thicker than the leather used by Comp-Tac. No corners cut, excellent Craftsmanship. Kydex was a great fit, better than the other two. I later found out Rob Durham (Comfort Carry Owner) vacuum molds each piece of Kydex off a blue gun. Which means no matter what gun you have (light mounted, laser, etc. You can have a custom molded holster for YOUR gun) Thats a big deal to me

Winner - Comfort Carry

WEAR: (break in on all three holsters was to wear all the time, around the house watching tv, and all day at work, I carry at the 5 o'clock position)

Comp-Tac - Stiff out of the bag, it took a couple weeks and the holster molded nicely to my spare tire. Has a nice piece of leather covering all the backs of the screws and was great as a sweat guard.

Crossbreed - Since the leather was thinner and flimsier than the Comp-Tac, the holster didn't take look to mold to my body, yet was not as comfortable as the Comp-Tac or the Comfort Carry. Crossbreed does not have the piece of leather on the back like the other two do.

Comfort Carry - Much like the Comp-Tac it was a thicker leather, and took a couple weeks for me to forget I had it on. Has the leather sweat guard, which I really like.

Winner - Comfort Carry/Comp-Tac

CLIPS:

Comp-Tac - has their own created clips which are great

Crossbreed - Metal clips that seem to loosen easily. Used a little lock tight and I was good to go

Comfort Carry - The one I have has the metal clips which seem to loosen easily but the company has since gone to using the Comp-Tac clips. My opinion a great choice. I was surprised when I called the companies number I actually got a hold of Rob the owner. Great guy to talk with, and answered all my questions.

Winner - Comp-Tac/Comfort Carry

PRICE:

I am not going to bash a company for trying to make a buck so I will not discuss price, but I will discuss bang for your buck.

Comp-Tac is the most expensive and in my opinion worth it

Crossbreed - Middle price range, and I feel you don't get as much as you do with the other two companies

Comfort Carry - The best value...Well under the price of the other two, but could EASILY sell for the price Comp-Tac sells their stuff for.

OVERALL OPINION:

1. Comfort Carry
    2. Comp-Tac
    3. Crossbreed

Overall winner COMFORT CARRY. This was an easy decision. I have sold the other two holsters and don't see any reason to buy anything other than Comfort Carry.

I feel the quality of work, materials used, and price it was a landslide.

I am not knocking the other companies, and I am sure some of you feel the other companies make incredible stuff, but I would encourage you to compare ANY holster to the ones made by Durham Concealed Technologies. I think you will come to the same opinion I did that there is not a better holster made than what they put out.

Here is their website: http://www.concealedtechnology.com/

They also make mag carriers, and other holsters other than the ones reviewed.

Thanks, and hope this helps

2. Remove Ads

Crooked Soul;

Nice thoughtout review. Thanks for posting.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Nice review. Good points with each model. I'll have to check the Comfort Carry site. Looking for a good holster for a S&W 4566.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Great review! Great to hear from someone who has 1st hand experience with all three holsters. Here is a link to another great review of the Comfort Carry holster.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392106

Links