Stiff Holster???

This is a discussion on Stiff Holster??? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a noobie so pardon a dumb question. I have a new UGB OWB holster and the leather seems prety stiff. I get that my ...

Thread: Stiff Holster???

Stiff Holster???

I'm a noobie so pardon a dumb question. I have a new UGB OWB holster and the leather seems prety stiff. I get that my gun will get some wear regardless, but I don't want to speed up the process by using an unusually hard holster. Are they all stiff/hard when new?

2. Remove Ads

http://www.ubgholsters.com/care.htm

UBG's page on holster care. If you have any issues call Nate, he is a great guy to work with and will certainly treat you right.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Philo Betto View Post
    I'm a noobie so pardon a dumb question. I have a new UGB OWB holster and the leather seems prety stiff. I get that my gun will get some wear regardless, but I don't want to speed up the process by using an unusually hard holster. Are they all stiff/hard when new?
    Good ones are. That's what helps them retain the pistol, without retention straps, and also makes for a nice draw. With use, your holster will break in, softening in the places it needs to, to become more comfortable, but hopefully remaining rigid in the places that it needs to, to continue offering the advantages of a quality holster.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Most holsters are stiff when new, it just takes a little bit of a break in period to mold itself to your body and the weapon carried in it. You can speed the process up a bit by conditioning the holster with some good leather oil or saddle soap. Personally I use olive oil, you might smell like a pizza but it's nice organic plant oil and works for me. Any of the leather treatments mentioned on this forum will work well, your local gun shop should have a selection of products for you to look at. Just be patient and work some good conditioner into the holster and keep your weapon in it, wear it often and soon it will be molded to your body shape and be more comfortable for you.

WARNING: Do not apply oil of any kind to any DGL product. Doing so will void the limited lifetime warranty.

Use “Lexol Leather Cleaner” to clean and moisturize your holster once or twice a year. It can be found at leather supply stores or some auto part stores.

This is off of Desbiens Gunleather website!
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by redfish443 View Post
    Most holsters are stiff when new, it just takes a little bit of a break in period to mold itself to your body and the weapon carried in it. You can speed the process up a bit by conditioning the holster with some good leather oil or saddle soap. Personally I use olive oil, you might smell like a pizza but it's nice organic plant oil and works for me. Any of the leather treatments mentioned on this forum will work well, your local gun shop should have a selection of products for you to look at. Just be patient and work some good conditioner into the holster and keep your weapon in it, wear it often and soon it will be molded to your body shape and be more comfortable for you.
    A leather holster is nothing like a baseball glove,the leather needs to remain stiff for good retention,if a holster is too tight put it in a baggy or wrap a layer or 2 of wax paper around it and stick it in the holster overnight,this will allow for easy holstering and drawing and maintain good retention
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Best recommendation is to ask the guy who made the holster, everyone has a little different opinion on how you should work in their particular holsters. The one thing though that is rather constant is I don't know a single holster maker that recommends oiling their rigs. Generally speaking this is one of the quickest ways to ruin a well boned holster. The problem is that oil breaks down the leather and softens it, and it's really too easy to overdo it, that's why most guys won't recommend it. As was said above, leathergoods vary allot and if your holster is soft like a baseball glove your not going to be happy with it at all. Every leathergood is different in care and products despite what the bottles of conditioner or oil might say. I was reading an article about boots the other day and how many are over oiled and ruined, same principal applies here.

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

Many years ago, before I knew better, I bought my first leather holster. I t was very stiff. So I bought some neatsfoot oil and soaked it up. It got soft alright! It was ruined. Ended up like a piece of putty. No more oil, or any softener for me.. Lesson learned the hard way!
    Tony

Contact Nate for the correct info on what to do.

Note: Oiling Nate's, Kevin's (KD) or my rigs won't work generally because of the top coat we use seals the holster inside and out.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by Philo Betto View Post
    The gun's finish is pretty durable..I wouldn't sweat to much about stiff leather. I also have (a couple of) UBG holsters...one of the better suggestions is to use a plastic bag or wax paper wrapped around the gun overnight (that's it...no water...no oil...just the gun, the wax paper, and the holster)...then carry normally the next day. Within a couple of days, you will hardly notice.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

A couple of thoughts on this topic.

First, a well made holster should be pretty rigid when new. During the break-in period it will conform fully to your body and the handgun, and some stretching is normal. If the holster is not quite rigid when new routine wear will cause it to become overly loose and become much less functional.

Second, the primary cause of holster wear is movement of the handgun within the holster while in use. A holster that is closely formed to the intended handgun and rigidly formed will retain a closer fit for the lifetime of the holster, reducing movement of the handgun and associated wear by friction. Drawing and holstering the handgun involves some friction, of course, but nothing compared to what occurs when the weapon is constantly moving around inside the holster with every movement that you make.

Best regards.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

Wax paper WORKS

The wax paper suggested by UGB works. I have a Judge that was very difficult to get into a holster made for it, and almost impossible to get out. I wrapped it in wax paper overnight and it was almost perfect going into and out of the same holster. I think another overnighter will make it fine.

mc

Links