Gun Tote'n Mamas' gun purse - review

This is a discussion on Gun Tote'n Mamas' gun purse - review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got my new gun purse in the mail today...thought I'd give a review. The leather is exceptionally nice. I got the saddle tan; it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Tote'n Mamas' gun purse - review

Gun Tote'n Mamas' gun purse - review

I got my new gun purse in the mail today...thought I'd give a review.

The leather is exceptionally nice. I got the saddle tan; it also comes in black. It is the "Raven" model. The leather is not shiny smooth, it has a nice soft texture. The strap is wire-reinforced.

So I adjusted the holster (velcroed) in the separate zippered gun section of the purse. My fullsize M&P barely fits but I expected that. I dont have as many angle adjustments as I'd like in that space, so will have to do some practicing with this purse. There is space in there for a spare mag, but no way to secure it. When gun is drawn, mag may go flying.

Got my gun, and an empty mag, and all the normal stuff I carry (medium sized wallet, check book, cell phone, iPod in case, comb, small mirror, chapstick, 3" folding knife.) That is not much really.

It is a tight fit. And that's with a separate external pocket for my cell. The purse pretty much bulges.

Also, there is little room for the OC spray I want to get and I'm not sure where or how I'll add it so that I could access it fast.

Without the gun, everything fits nicely.

It seems like a well-made, well-designed purse. But I think it's on the small side for most women for an everyday purse...I carry alot less in my purse than many women. (I also hope to buy a smaller carry gun, but that is in the future. That will help space & weight issues a little).

You can see pics at:
    http://www.guntotenmamas.com/cgi-bin...ion&key=GTM099
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    EDC, hiking, and just traveling in general, it is a constant battle to carry what you actually need and have space left over for what you WANT. Reconsider your items and evaluate whether you actually NEED all of it, or if you could get by with stowing some of it in your car or desk/locker at work. The other option is to go larger on the pack or purse.

As far as OC spray, I have seen many women in all sorts of settings carrying OC hooked to the outside of their purses. Perhaps that would work for you.

Thanks for the review. Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Yeah thanks Roadrunner.

I do consider hooking my OC or iPod to the outside of the purse, but this does expose them to the elements and bumping, catching on things, etc.

And that is the bare minimum I need for work each day...however it's not too bad then because I cannot carry my gun at work. But it is also the bare minimum for shopping.

When I can, I wear my cell phone in a holster hooked in a jeans pocket.

I also have a fanny pack and other options for other scenarios. ALso have 2 larger gun purses. One has a lousy strap and gun makes it uncomfortably heavy with gun. The other is my 5.11 PushPak which is really too big...everything else swims in it if I'm not carrying the gun. And that has earned me unwanted attention (re: carry) so I am starting to feel conspicuous when I carry it.
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member
    Good review, thanks. I have the same exact purse in black. Here are my impressions.

I've not yet carried a gun in it (only used it for other essentials like brush, lip gloss, wallet, cell phone). I like that it is sturdy and can be worn across the body. If someone wanted to do that cut and go snatching, it would be almost impossible. I originally envisioned times when I could not body carry but in reality those times have been nonexistant, where there is a will there is a way. It is still hard for me to get my head around purse carry as a primary method. I have bought lots of new clothes to facilitate body carry.

For anyone that wants a purse for carry, I don't see how you could go wrong with any of this brand.

Senior Moderator
    Looks like a good purse. Thanks for sharing!

If I carry in a purse it's always with a cross body type of a bag and so this appeals to me. I'd never heard of them before and did some looking around on their website. The Hobo bag strongly appeals to the mother in me. A place to put a gun and diapers!!

I can see how that model might be a little small for most women. Like I said, as a mother who has to somehow find a place for wipes and diapers and extra clothes even though I still carry a diaper bag I really don't think it would work out for me being so small, but I could see how you could use this as a quick grab and go bag or even an emergency bag.

Some people have bags that they hang by their bed at night with everything they would need in case of a midnight emergency. This looks pretty perfect for something like that pluse a wallet.

Ahh.. to go back to a bag that size!

You sure thats not a european mans shoulder bag
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Got my gun, and an empty mag, and all the normal stuff I carry (medium sized wallet, check book, cell phone, iPod in case, comb, small mirror, chapstick, 3" folding knife.)
    Here.... let me help ya lighten the load.

1. Put the wallet in your pocket
    2. Nobody carries a checkbook anymore
    3. Cell phone goes in your pocket
    4.i Pod.... why?
    5. comb.... comb your hair before ya leave the house.
    6. small mirror... there's mirrors everywhere ya go.
    7. chap stick... well, OK.
    8. 3" folding knife..... try a .45cal. 3" hand canon.

All good to go now!!!

Still got room for a bag of pork rinds!!!
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    Here.... let me help ya lighten the load.

1. Put the wallet in your pocket
    2. Nobody carries a checkbook anymore
    3. Cell phone goes in your pocket
    4.i Pod.... why?
    5. comb.... comb your hair before ya leave the house.
    6. small mirror... there's mirrors everywhere ya go.
    7. chap stick... well, OK.
    8. 3" folding knife..... try a .45cal. 3" hand canon.

All good to go now!!!

Still got room for a bag of pork rinds!!!

LOL

I carry an iPod Touch because it has music and video. I used to carry a paperback with me everywhere....but now the much smaller iPod keeps me entertained when stuck waiting somewhere. And I dont own a pair of pants with pockets that my (avg size mens wallet) would fit in.

As for the rest....yer such a man.
    Fortune favors the bold.

i bought one for my wife and for the money its a good buy. if she got another one it would be bigger though. it is big enough to carry the stuff she has to have but once a gun is in there its a little tight. it does seem to be well made and it doesn't cost 300.00+.

Distinguished Member
    Ha, now I know that it's pork rinds that guys carry in those maxpedition bags.

The husband is forever noting the excessive size of my purses, but then has no problem saying "can you put this in there, can you put that in there...." "didya bring this didya bring that".

Great idea Lima on using that purse as a bedside getup and go bag. It would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Ha, now I know that it's pork rinds that guys carry in those maxpedition bags.

The husband is forever noting the excessive size of my purses, but then has no problem saying "can you put this in there, can you put that in there...." "didya bring this didya bring that".
    Uhhhh.... You were invited along for a reason. What did you THINK it was for? Dats right,...... you getta be in charge of da pork rinds.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Thanks for review. Been looking for something like this for my wife, but as many have pointed out, small for what she tends to carry.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

So I took it out for a test drive finally. And I made sure that everything was in it that I needed. And then a little more.

It is a really nice quality leather and it will stretch...so, no time to start like the present!

The purse was heavy but the strap is wide and it balanced well...if men dont realize it, it's really irritating to have a purse that doesnt stay in place and you always have to adjust it. I wore it mostly cross-shoulder and it was comfortable. (and my gun was really the only thng that was heavy...carrying it without gun is a pleasure and it's plenty big enough.)

It carried everything I needed...just. If it stretches out some, which I think it will, it should be a fairly versatile purse.
    Fortune favors the bold.

+1 for the product! My wife has had her HCP for a long time but seldom carried. No belt, small pocket, whatever the problem to not carry. I got her the Hobo model in black and now she carries all the time. She hasn't decided if she likes her Raspberry Ruger LCP or the S&W 442 better yet, but now she has one or the other with her all the time.
    Cherokee Slim

(Just as an added thought - I got it after seeing the review from 9MMare. Thanks!)
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

My wife just got a GTM "hobo" in tan. As you said it's a little tight with her G-19, but it works. She managed to get most everything she carries in it, which surprised me, but she can pack more stuff in a purse than I could in a pickup truck.

She likes it.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links