Concealed cross-draw?

Concealed cross-draw?

This is a discussion on Concealed cross-draw? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What are my options suitable for the Kimber, the Sig P6, and similar sized weapons? I'm thinking in-the-waistband style, but also comfortable for cross-draw options... ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Concealed cross-draw?

What are my options suitable for the Kimber, the Sig P6, and similar sized weapons?

I'm thinking in-the-waistband style, but also comfortable for cross-draw options...

What do you use and where can I get them?

Thanks

Bobby

Bobby: Cross-draw with the IWB-style holsters can present some problems and holster selection requires close evaluation.

The typical cross-draw holster carries the weapon with the butt canted toward the front to permit a solid grip during the draw. With IWB-style holsters this can force the grip-frame very close to the trouser waist and belt, making it difficult to properly grip the weapon.

For those who choose to carry cross-draw I usually recommend OWB-style holsters which provide good access to the grip-frame.

Concealment can be an issue with cross-draw holsters. Selection of cover garments needs some attention to keep the weapon fully covered during normal activities and body movements.

Best regards.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

Two birds with one stone...
    I have this for my Glock-36. http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/42.htm
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I like that. Good video. I'm going to email / ask if they have one for the S&W CS45.
    For God, Family and Country!

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    I like that. Good video. I'm going to email / ask if they have one for the S&W CS45.
    It's on their gun list... http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/gunlistA/Default.htm
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sweet info... thanks!

retsupt99, do you have a picture of the back side of that holster showing how it attaches and how it rotates? I'm curious to see in detail how it works.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

I'm assuming it "unlocks" where it can be rotated, and when you turn it back down, it simply "snaps" back into position... there's probably some sort of small lever or button thet releases the pivoting plate from the holster that he did not demonstrate in the video...

Just my guess. It's a cool idea though, that's for sure!
    Last edited by Bobert0989; August 10th, 2010 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Type-o's

That's a sweet rig!!! If you drive a lot, that's a great set-up.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The McDaniels II by Andrews Leather is a decent IWB in X-draw. As noted above, the butt does tend to rotate down the belt over the course of the day. But its comfy andit conceals VERY well for me at 10-11 o'clock. For OWB I have used the El Paso Saddlery Double Agent and have a custom Laredo defender from K&D. The EPS DA is comfortable, but the location of the loops tend to let the butt tip away from your body (fine as a strong side holster). The K&D defender is the most comfy and the most stable, but the grip angle is steep which is great for draw stroke, but not ideal for concealment under light clothing. Great for winter though.

Quote Originally Posted by ev239 View Post
    retsupt99, do you have a picture of the back side of that holster showing how it attaches and how it rotates? I'm curious to see in detail how it works.
    There are no buttons or special clips...I'll try to take pic over the weekend and show you. It's a simple operation and well thought out.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I carry this way all the time.

I use a Blackhawk SERPA holster for my 1911. They make them for all kinds of guns, so you shouldn't have any issues there. The price ain't bad either!

I have avoided IWB crossdraw, as I prefer the gun to be closer to my 1100 than my 0900, and that can get REALLY uncomfortable.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    For cross draw, I have carry my full-size H&K USP .40 in a horizontal shoulder holster hidden underneath a thick coat. A vertical shoulder holster makes it difficult to access my pistol due to my short arm length. Perhaps another cross-draw carry option that I use on both my H&K USP or S&W Model 457 .45 is the black colored leather concealment holster from Coronado Leather, which contains large inside pockets that allow me to securely conceal carry a pistol or other personal items w/o any printing.

I had highly-considered the "Miami-Vice" style (pistol below the armpit) for fall/winter concealment, but was looking for a somewhat comfortable IWB for spring/summer sessions.

I hate to admit it, but I have carried a 1911 simply tucked in the rear of my jeans and tightened the belt a little. The synthetic grips stick nicely against the skin and didn't move much, but became uncomfortable very quickly. I only did this if I honestly had a fear of my surroundings (like doing electrical remodels in a crack-head-infested appartment complex), and since I'm not 21, cannot legally conceal a firearm yet. I turn 21 in about 2 weeks, and am taking my class that day! Don't get me wrong, I'm not the law-breaking-type, but when it comes to personal safety, I don't like taking chances.

I met a guy in the local Gun Shoppe that carried a small-frame Kahr in an IWB holster, seated in the VERY FRONT of his trousers, and it seemes like a very comfortable "walking" setup, but I'd remove it before sitting or driving, and that's not what I am after. I want to sit, bend, move comfortably. And my P6 is a little larger than his Kahr was. The Kimber is an obvious no-no for a setup such as that.

Fist crossdraw/driving holster.

Shown with a full sized Walther P99 in .40S&W.

To go from regular crossdraw to driving position just slip the tab (marked with a primer) over the belt and twist the rig down. To go back to regular just straighten out the pistol and the rig pops back into position. You can use the snap to put on or take off the holster but I prefer to thread it on when getting dressed.

Well made, secure, easy to draw from either position, covers easily with almost any shirt, jacket or vest and your seat belt does not get in the way. Best thing is it goes from one position to another without having to expose the pistol which remains on me at all times...

bosco
    Attached Images
    Last edited by boscobeans; August 18th, 2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: added info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links