Best carry position for larger sized handgun

This is a discussion on Best carry position for larger sized handgun within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We were just sort of talking about this in a different thread, and I kinda felt like I was Hi-jacking his original thread. So Instead ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

We were just sort of talking about this in a different thread, and I kinda felt like I was Hi-jacking his original thread. So Instead I'll pose the question here. How do you carry a full sized handgun. The firearm we were talking about the XDm 45. I have heard some people carry this as their everyday carry, but how? The only one I saw was a guy had it on him about the 3 oclock position with extreme forward cant. the grip was almost straight up and down to his rib cage so you couldn't really tell. The XDm is about 8" long and 5 3/4" in heigth. So here we go.... What to post

Your Technique, Make and Model, holster and pictures (if you have them).

I will do more research before I make my final decision if I should go with the XDm or a compact XD45, but I wanted to get some advice first. Thanks guys

GM
    That thing is bigger than a full sized 1911. I do not think that I would like to carry it all day long, but if I had to I guess that it should be in a MOB palm-in draw holster.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I like the 3:30-4:00 area for a full sized 1911. I use a UBG Canute which has a moderate amount of cant. No problems with concealing it. The XD's do have a thicker grip, which could make it a little harder. Cant really is your friend with full sized handguns.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I carry an all steel 4" 1911 two ways.

IWB at 4:30 in a CrossBreed, Super Tuck with spare mag in left rear pocket in a holder made by Rocky who's a Mod here.

OWB at 2:45 in a High Noon, Need for Speed with Mitch Rosen express double mag holder at 7:30.

Hope this helps, Good Luck
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    That thing is bigger than a full sized 1911. I do not think that I would like to carry it all day long, but if I had to I guess that it should be in a MOB palm-in draw holster.
    Yea it is pretty big, but I'm more worried about the long grip then the length of the barrel. I know some holsters have adjustable can't but usually its slight can't. What holster could you use to get the cant where you can run the handle straight up and down with your rib cage?

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFtrevor87 View Post
    Yea it is pretty big, but I'm more worried about the long grip then the length of the barrel. I know some holsters have adjustable can't but usually its slight can't. What holster could you use to get the cant where you can run the handle straight up and down with your rib cage?
    You are right, the grips are the hardest to conceal, that is the reason because I should carry it in an IWB/OWB SOB palm-in draw holster. When carrying SOB the grips can but do not need to be almost straight up. I can carry a full sized 1911 depending of the attire, but there goes the limit for me.

I just got an IWB Alessi MOB Talon and I really like it: http://shop.alessigunholsters.com/Be...ster/MOB-Talon

Check following links too:

http://www.holsters-holsters-holster...olster-sob.htm
    http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/product/h_508.htm
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    They can be a challenge. I carry a Sig P220. For me the best location is 9:00 (lefty) with only a moderate forward cant for IWB. For OWB I like it closer to 8:00-8:30 with a bit more cant. A light shirt over a t-shirt or a loose polo is my normal summer attire.

Sorry, no pictures.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I am waiting a comp-tac minotaur or cbst to be molded for the xdm 45 but in the meantime, it disappears pretty well about 5 o'clock with the factory paddle holster...until your shirt rides up anyway. Ha! No pics but I have carried it all day for about the past week and no funny looks or anything mentioned about it.
    Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.
    It's faster to dial 3-5-7 than it is to dial 9-1-1.
    I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Full size Kimber TLE in an MTAC at 3:30. Also carry a G30 in a CBST same location.Not at the same time.

15 degree cant.

Works for me.

IWB- I've carried a Glock 17, a 5" 1911, and now a Ruger P345 over the last year, all of them in the 3:00-3:30 position, with approximately 45 degrees of forward cant. It rides nicely and conceals well in that position for me. I've been using a Remora clipless holster and mag pouch for the last few months, and it's really nice in so far as positioning goes.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

I carry a Sig P226 Blackwater Tactical very comfortably, in a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro...3:30-4 position.

I carry either a 4" (Kimber SIS Pro) or 5" (Springfield TRP Loaded) all-steel 1911 at around 3:30 or 4:00pm.

IWB: Milt-Sparks VM2
    OWB: Some sort of Galco FLETCH holster..

It's really about where you're used to the pistol being and your comfort with the position, in my mind..
    b
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

Thanks for everyones help. I think I might just go with the XD45 compact instead of the new XDm 45. We will see though. Thanks again Ya'll gave me a lot of good information and links, i appreciate it.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I carry my full-size H&K USP .40 S&W in a variety of holsters:
    -Blackhawk fannypack holster
    -horizontal shoulder shoulder from Uncle Mike's
    -Desantis Kingston car seat holster fastened to the driver's car seat (to compensate for CC methods that hinder acces while seated in a car/not considered CC carry since the gun is visible)
    -Galco plannerbook Holster (for discreet, temporary car storage only/some occasions, for the shower too)
    -Bianchi strong side OWB hip holster
    -Coronado Leather concealment vest

cmb
    Full Size 1911 3 o'clock, IWB tuckable. The AD is a little thicker and those extra rounds will increase the weight... I like the way the XDM feels and would probably go with the 9mm, I do not know the specs on the 45 but JD had a thread on the XDM Too Large for Concealed Carry? I think Not... my link is dead but he had pictures and the whole nine, it appears feasible and very similar to 1911...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links