Defensive Carry banner

Kahr PM9 and pocket Carry

10K views 18 replies 19 participants last post by  wjh2657 
#1 ·
I have a PM9 and a Desanti Nemesis pocket holster and a Uncle Mike's size4 that I carry. Some pockets are just to small for either.

Is there a better smaller holster someone is using that works better. The reason I ask is that I also pocket carry my Ruger LCP and really there is not that much difference in the size of the two guns, yet the Ruger seems to fit when the PM9 is a little big.

I also have a High Noon "Hidden Alley" tuckable holster, I have used it for appendix carry. I would consider other IWB.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks

#3 ·
I use a Mika for pocket carry and Minituck for appendix carry. I have a Hidden pocket holster on the way.

#6 ·
It's deceptive. When I had my PM-9 I thought it was the best carry gun ever. When I looked at the specs of the Sig 238, I thought, "It's just a 1/2" smaller, can't make much difference." Boy, was I wrong. It makes a huge difference.

PM-9 Pocket? :thumbsdown:

Sig 238 Pocket? :hand10:

Seecamp Pocket? Sure, but no fun to shoot.

YPMV: (your pockets may vary.)

#7 ·
I pocket carried a PM9 for several years. Reliability issues aside, I found the Ruger LCP better suited for this role. In addition to being smaller, it is much lighter in weight - and that makes a big difference.

#8 ·
The PM9 has fairly blocky corners that require a certain amount of material surrounding the gun in order for the holster to achieve a good "hold" on the gun. The DeSantis unit's about as thin as you're likely to get.

You say the pockets are small. Uncertain what you mean, specifically. Do you mean that your pants material doesn't quite have enough girth to accommodate the PM9? Or, do you mean the pants material is fine, but that the pocket itself is too tiny for the PM9?

Had a PM9 for awhile. So long as I wore my "cargo" style pants with the larger pockets, the PM9 dropped in and simply disappeared. For this purpose, I found the "7-Pocket Hiker Pants" (and shorts) from Cabela's to be excellent. Sized one size larger than I might normally go, the pants easily swallowed up the PM9. And the larger pocket area avoided binding. Most other pants I ever used simply did not have enough overall material on the pants themselves to accommodate the PM9, irrespective of how large of a pocket I put on those pants.

If it's the pocket size, then don't discount alteration of your pockets. It's not as tough as you might think. Any seamstress or tailor can do this. Anyone who can use a sewing machine should be able to knock out a few pairs of pants in an hour. It can make all the difference, assuming your pants themselves have enough girth to cleanly support masking a gun inside the pocket.

#10 ·
I have a PM9 and a Desanti Nemesis pocket holster and a Uncle Mike's size4 that I carry. Some pockets are just to small for either.

Is there a better smaller holster someone is using that works better. The reason I ask is that I also pocket carry my Ruger LCP and really there is not that much difference in the size of the two guns, yet the Ruger seems to fit when the PM9 is a little big.

I also have a High Noon "Hidden Alley" tuckable holster, I have used it for appendix carry. I would consider other IWB.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks
Pretty much all of my pockets are too small to pocket carry my PM9 :slap: That's why I bought a Rohrbaugh R9 :hand10:

#12 ·
Kydex is lightest and thinnest and in your pocket these factors are very clear. Grandfather Oak and FIST make nice kydex. FIST is famous for the "thumb push" which allows you to push your thumb down on the holster as you pull up with the firearm--thus maintaining holster position in pocket--works like a charm. Grandfather Oak is less expensive and you can easily glue your own thumb push on the holster to fit your specific thumb vs grip on firearm so that it is effcient. I actually added my own thumb push to my FIST finding my location a bit more comfortable. Regardless of anything else, firmly keeping the holster in your pocket when you draw is paramount (IMO) and thumb push is clearly meant to do exactly that.

#14 ·
I carry an MK40, which is virtually the same size, but WAY heavier than a PM9, in a Desantis Nemisis, right front pocket all day with no issues. Sure it's not the most comfortable thing for the first 10 minutes. After that, it's basically not there. I've carried in anything from shorts, jeans, work pants and dress pants. The work pants have small pockets, even an LCP would be uncomfortable in them. People who complain (and not directed at anybody specifically) that a PM9 or anything it's size can't be pocket carried comfortably, but think having a full size .45 stuffed IWB is comfortable, is crazy. Just like IWB, pocket carrying a PM9 (or in my case an MK40) is easy after you get used to it.

#15 ·
Not to revive a dead thread but my question is relevant to the topic at hand. I pocket carry my PM9 in a Desantis Nemesis and it works flawlessly when wearing jeans (5 pocket style). The issue I'm having is when I wear Khakis, the design of the pocket (vertical slit, found on pretty much any khaki) seems to always catch of the rear of the slide right at the top portion of the pocket, preventing me from drawing the weapon and instead wasting time wiggling it free. I can assume I have very few options to get around this. I could either find khakis that have a 5th pocket style, which I have not been able to find any with large enough pockets. Another option could be finding a pocket holster that takes up a good portion of the pocket, preventing the materiel to bunch up and snag on the slide. One more option is to use a S&W J frame, which i've had no issues drawing with in any style pants, and be done with it and swallow the downsides of only having 5 rounds. I chose the PM9 because of it's size, weight, caliber and capacity and meant it to be my primary pocket carry weapon. I'd like to know if anyone has experienced this sort of issue I'm facing and if there's a viable solution. Thanks!

#16 ·
Which of the following seems most likely to be the problem?

1. holster forces vertical draw, making slide hang up on 'hooked' part of pocket opening

2. holster rises, pulling pocket and bunching pocket material which catches slide

3. you could be drawing in more of a curve but are thinking too much 'up' and not 'out'.

In the first instance maybe a shorter holster is in order. In the second maybe one with a thumb release tab, or some sort of 'wing' going up to the top buckle-side corner of the pocket to keep the pocket extended with the holster at the bottom. I've been thinking something like the latter might be useful but haven't found anything like it yet.

#19 ·
"If it's the pocket size, then don't discount alteration of your pockets. It's not as tough as you might think. Any seamstress or tailor can do this. Anyone who can use a sewing machine should be able to knock out a few pairs of pants in an hour. It can make all the difference, assuming your pants themselves have enough girth to cleanly support masking a gun inside the pocket. "

I gave up on standard length trousers a long time ago and started having all of my altered. In the process of altering my inseam my seamstress also sews in a reinforced and lengthened right pocket for me. When I mentioned I carried a 642 in a pocket holster, she informed me that she was already making these pockets for LEOs in the area for off duty carry. Picture below:

Notice that the reinforced pocket is anchored at the same points as the original pocket material.

Another advantage is that this puts the piece lower down on the leg, where it's outline blends better with the curve of your leg (there are more "bulges" in that region and it doesn't stand out.) I have her do this with all of my trousers and jeans and it works well with all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.