Why a back pocket holster?

This is a discussion on Why a back pocket holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Researching pocket holsters for my new S&W Bodyguard 380, I have found a lot of custom holster makers who build a custom holster for different ...

Thread: Why a back pocket holster?

Why a back pocket holster?

Researching pocket holsters for my new S&W Bodyguard 380, I have found a lot of custom holster makers who build a custom holster for different 380's that fit in your back pocket -- really nice holsters by the way. I totally get the concept -- the square frame of the holster hides the outline to prevent printing, looking just like a wallet. If oriented properly, some could be carried in either front or back pocket.

Personally I do not like carrying my wallet in my back pocket in crowded places for fear of it being "picked."

Why would I want to carry my 380 or single stack 9mm this way? Am I not taking a chance of my gun being picked too if I carry it in a holster in my back pocket? What am I missing?

2. Remove Ads

It's only an option, and life is filled with options. We all don't agree on 'some' of those options. Luckily, while we still have it, capitalism keeps it well-balanced.
    Personally, I don't like back pocket carry for several reasons, then I do like IWB/SOB and many don't like that. Oh well, we have all developed our own tastes.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Please, put the knife/gun down. I'm getting my wallet now. Please,, I have a family. Bang.........

Just a thought. That's why I do it.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Please, put the knife/gun down. I'm getting my wallet now. Please,, I have a family. Bang.........

I get that point so much I would be willing to carry in a back pocket. It just seems to me that a crook could easily pick your back pocket squeezing between you and an end aisle at a convenience store as you try to decide which Gatorade flavor to buy. May not even know you got picked these guys are so good, it seems like a bulge in that back pocket invites opportunity.

Perhaps I'm thinking too much, I get the "wait, let me get my wallet," so much I may carry that way too. Maybe a chain from the corner of the holster to your belt loop, that may be enough to deter someone from picking your "wallet."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post

^^^^^^^^very plausible notion^^^^^

Knuckledragger thinks hes got a sheeple on the hook, and bang,,, there goes his good day to ell in a handbasket.

Quote retsupt99
    It's only an option, and life is filled with options. We all don't agree on 'some' of those options. Luckily, while we still have it, capitalism keeps it well-balanced.
    Personally, I don't like back pocket carry for several reasons, then I do like IWB/SOB and many don't like that. Oh well, we have all developed our own tastes.

^^^^I'm kinda in this camp on this one.^^^^^^^^^^^

Whatever floats your boat, and are comfortable with.

We live in an age when pizza gets to your home before the police.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

There are times when rear pocket carry is the best option, as for having your pocket picked of your weapon that seems to be a very unlikely ocurence. I am willing to bet that it would be easier to notice your weapon being lifted than a wallet.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paboxcall View Post
    Personally I do not like carrying my wallet in my back pocket in crowded places for fear of it being "picked."

Why would I want to carry my 380 or single stack 9mm this way? Am I not taking a chance of my gun being picked too if I carry it in a holster in my back pocket? What am I missing?
    I don't think I have ever really been worried about having something picked from my back pocket........I can always tell if somebody is playing with my butt.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Freeze, or I’ll pull my wallet! I suppose it works for some, and I do like the holster options I currently have. Still, I prefer an appendix carry’ which provides me more security.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

EW3
    I've never been able to figure this one out either. Are you supposed to sit on it? What about hitting a mag release by accident? I don't even carry a wallet in my back pocket any longer since it's been proven that it can throw hips and backs out of alignment and cause all sorts of problems. To each his own I guess, but you'll never see me doing it. Front right pocket is the sweet spot for me!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    I've never been able to figure this one out either. Are you supposed to sit on it? What about hitting a mag release by accident? I don't even carry a wallet in my back pocket any longer since it's been proven that it can throw hips and backs out of alignment and cause all sorts of problems. To each his own I guess, but you'll never see me doing it. Front right pocket is the sweet spot for me!
    How big is your wallet?

GeorgeCostanzasWallet.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoPf98i8A0g
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    I quit carrying a wallet in my back pocket and got a Slim Clip...my back hasn't hurt since. I considered one of the Elsie Pea back pocket holsters what have the trigger cut out and ejection port cut out that can be fired from the holster itself. I'm still thinking about it, but I'm not ready to go back to the back problems.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I quit carrying a wallet in my back pocket and got a Slim Clip...my back hasn't hurt since. I considered one of the Elsie Pea back pocket holsters what have the trigger cut out and ejection port cut out that can be fired from the holster itself. I'm still thinking about it, but I'm not ready to go back to the back problems.
    Careful, if it changes the appearence enough that it no longer looks like a gun it may change it to an AOW (Any Other Weapon) and you may be in a sticky situation.

Links