Maxpedition Versipack Spotted in the Wild

This is a discussion on Maxpedition Versipack Spotted in the Wild within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw a guy at a convenience store today with a Maxpedition Versipack and I have to say, if I didn't know what it was ...

I saw a guy at a convenience store today with a Maxpedition Versipack and I have to say, if I didn't know what it was it wouldn't have stood out at all. He was in gym clothes and simply had the pack slung over his shoulder like any other bag. Here in "the big city" this doesn't look out of place at all since we often see people (yes, even guys) with bags over their shoulders.

The thing didn't look militaristic or tacticool, or anything of the sort. It just looked like a bag. His was black and that probably helped it blend in since it's a more "normal" bag color than OD, Khaki, or digital camo. I bet the blue or red versions would look even less like what it is.

I guarantee that nobody who is unfamiliar with concealed carry saw it and said, "huh, I bet there's a gun in there."

For all I know there wasn't.

Overall, it looked like a pretty cool bag. I would get one, but my laptop wouldn't fit.

FatboyS-TypeVersipack.jpg
    http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...IPACK-4p49.htm
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by gruntingfrog View Post
    I saw a guy at a convenience store today with a Maxpedition Versipack and I have to say, if I didn't know what it was it wouldn't have stood out at all...

...I guarantee that nobody who is unfamiliar with concealed carry saw it and said, "huh, I bet there's a gun in there."
    I'm sure you are correct. I always look to see of there is a long strap/cord to grab for instant gun presentation. To me, that's the give-away, not the bag.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Hmmm wonder if it was me? I often hit the gym and that's the easiest way to transport/carry while doing so.. I don't ever get any comments about it unless I'm around CHL permittee's..

As a matter of fact, there's a gentleman that has a Maxpedition bag in green and we kinda "silently acknowledged" each other. Carry safe!
    Kimber Pro-Carry II .45 w/ 230gr Remington Golden Sabers
    Ruger SP101 DAO .357 w/ 125gr Speer Gold Dots

"Try and fail is the manner of losers; try and learn is the way of the strong."

Quote Originally Posted by MBtech87 View Post
    Hmmm wonder if it was me?
    Only if you were four hours away from home. I'm in the slightly smaller big city North-West of you.

Have you practiced drawing from it? What's the presentation like?
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

If you get used to it, it's not bad.. It's not as fast as from a holster but it works well with practice. if you carry a full size, or larger frame weapon, I would go with the Jumbo. The 'pouch' can get in the way, due to the zipper opening being slightly smaller than than pocket inside. With careful positioning of the velcro holster unit, drawing can be made easy with practice. Also, I have some black para-cord laying around and I made a much better pull string for the zipper. That way texture wise, and size wise i can differentiate between anything else on the bag. Lastly, it has a belt ring on the back that works very well - IE, if it's snapped to you're belt and the firearm snags as you draw, the whole bag doesn't come with, the snap works very well. Though I usually dont fasten the strap because you'd have to tuck your shirt in, and I like the bag to ride at around 4:30-5:00 as opposed to my hip. Hope that helps.
    Kimber Pro-Carry II .45 w/ 230gr Remington Golden Sabers
    Ruger SP101 DAO .357 w/ 125gr Speer Gold Dots

"Try and fail is the manner of losers; try and learn is the way of the strong."

LOVE the versipacks! My J-frame fits very well and with a leather/ hook velcro add on holster in the loop velcro CCW zippered area, it is a pretty smooth draw. Not as fast as IWB or OWB mind you but ok. The smaller 380s and J-frames are small enough to allow space to draw effectively.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I just ordered mine today. I bought a right hand version even though I'm a lefty. My plan is to pocket carry a small gun and carry a full size in the pack. I'll see if it's a good idea or not.
    Question Everything!

My wife has about three different bags she uses for gun carry. One of them is the Maxpedition Fatboy which she loves and has used for going on two years now.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links