School me on OWB holster concealment

This is a discussion on School me on OWB holster concealment within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ok so i will hopefully be carrying by the end of july and was wondering what is the best way to hide my OWB holster ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar

ok so i will hopefully be carrying by the end of july and was wondering what is the best way to hide my OWB holster for my USPC .40... when i wear bigger shirts it usually doesnt print but sometimes that just is not possible what other options do i have...

Senior Moderator
    The photographer's vest, or "safari vest" is very popular - almost the unofficial uniform of CCW:

Another option is the untucked Hawaiian shirt.

Matt

Assistant Administrator
    I will mention the Smith and Alexander vest. Mine is light denim and works very well - the more so I think for folks who are relatively slim waisted and broad up top - lets garment hang over some space, in which resides the rig. No probs in winter as I have a long open shirt to use.

If you are pear shaped then it is less easy but having the garment big enough helps.

Here are a coupla pics of my vest - this is an old one with wear and gone a bit limp - plus excuse my probably oldest pair of jeans LOL.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    I've also heard that by wearing sandals with bright white socks, you can divert the viewer's attention away from the beltline, thus reducing the chance of being made.

IIRC, this clever tactic was pioneered right here on CC.com.

(Oh, I am so going to get banned....)

Matt

los
    For about a year, I carried a USPc45 in a Mitch Rosen 5JR (OWB). The Holster is a high-ride, tight to the body type rig. I felt the HK concealed it's best while at the 3:30 position by just wearing an untucked loose shirt. A good belt is a HUGE PLUS!

.................................................. ........................

Hey Chris, somewhat off topic, but is that an old RCBS single press to your right in the photo?

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Assistant Administrator
    Note to self - add Matt to ''the list'' - tell Bud to sharpen axe - and probably hire a hit man to deal with Bud, for perpetuating that darned business
    Chris - P95

Dark colors

Whatever type of large shirt or cover garment you wear over your OWB holster, it is always better to buy the garment in dark colors. I prefer black, dark blue, dark gray, etc. Dark color patterns are also good. For some reason a light color garment is much more likely to print or reveal the holstered gun beneath it than a dark color.

Senior Moderator

So there is some way to carry concealed in the summertime in sandals with bright white socks? Are there pictures? Is there a holster involved, or do hairy legs hold the gun in? So many questions...

There is a pic somewhere around here. But I have a sneaky hunch a certain mod may have made it accidentally disappear.
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

the vest works well. sometime people will look at you in the summer. they think you must be hot with that vest on. a shirt works well and does not look out of place in the summer. work with it and it will fall in place. i wear a shirt in the summer and a vest in the winter to cover my glock 27 in a galco miami classic shoulder hoster with two glock 22 mags on the other side. also i wear an galco inside the paints holster (ultra deep cover) with a pull over shirt. both works well. but, i do not wear sandals with bright white socks.
    Last edited by frankmako; June 24th, 2006 at 10:32 PM.

Assistant Administrator
    I wonder why I sometimes feel I am being ''got at'' - hmmmm - odd that!
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan
    So there is some way to carry concealed in the summertime in sandals with bright white socks? Are there pictures? Is there a holster involved, or do hairy legs hold the gun in? So many questions...
    Just put it in your waistband. Nobody will notice if the legs are real hairy and the knees knobby.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

I know funny

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson
    I've also heard that by wearing sandals with bright white socks, you can divert the viewer's attention away from the beltline, thus reducing the chance of being made.

IIRC, this clever tactic was pioneered right here on CC.com.

(Oh, I am so going to get banned....)

Matt
    And THAT'S funny!!

Dark is good

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2
    Whatever type of large shirt or cover garment you wear over your OWB holster, it is always better to buy the garment in dark colors. I prefer black, dark blue, dark gray, etc. Dark color patterns are also good. For some reason a light color garment is much more likely to print or reveal the holstered gun beneath it than a dark color.
    Dark works real well, as do loud hawaiian shrts. Of course, Hawaiian shirt pretty much says CC to me, as does those photographers vest. But, to non CC, it doesn't really say anything.

Light colors are bad. Think the reason is that they shadows show much more easily as they reflect more light. Therefore unusual shapes are easy to see.

Aniother thing, it doesn't matter what you where. When you go out for the first time, you will be CONVINCED that everyone can see it. You will spend ages changing shirts etc trying to make it completely invisible and then be convinced everyone is staring at you.

They aren't. As long as it is reasonably covered so you cant make out an outline, you're good. If anyone DOES see a lump, they will think its a phone, pager, anything but a gun.

One last thing. Don't keep touching/checking it. As you get out of the car, yes, make sure. I usually briefly stand my right side in the V of the door (so right side istotally unobservable) and list check the bottom of my shirt, just like a lot of people do getting out of the car. Other than that, if you don't touch it, you won't bring attention to it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links