My first 1911 holster attempt.... What ya think?

This is a discussion on My first 1911 holster attempt.... What ya think? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Decided to try my hand at a IWB 1911 style holster on this rainy Tuesday afternoon. It's ugly, but daddy loves it and it's pretty ...

Decided to try my hand at a IWB 1911 style holster on this rainy Tuesday afternoon. It's ugly, but daddy loves it and it's pretty comfortable

Here's a couple pics.

Never tried the dyes, thought about black, but that would mean a trip out in the rain, so decided to go O' natural.

Tips welcome!

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Holsters are for holding, not fashion. Tuckable IWB? Might extend the sweat guard a bit more to cover the spur. Other than that, good deal! Make a pancake to fit a S&W4566 and I'll test it out for you!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I like it. 'Just about every holster I've had, I've held up and thought about changes that I'd make. When I have the time (10 more years), I look forward to doing my own too. Hand stitching? Did you use a sail palm?

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Thats really good! Everyone on DC is starting to make holsters, maybe I should try my hand. Maybe I can put Del Fatti out of business.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Looks good man.... I love the Natural Color myself:) Good Job!!!

Thanks guys! Fun little project that took a couple of hours.

Hand stitching? Did you use a sail palm?
    Yes, the stitching is the hardest part of making these things, IMO anyway. I have no idea what a sail palm is.

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    ... I have no idea what a sail palm is.
    LOL. Sail palm. Think of it as thimble on steroids. I used one to make knife sheaths when I was on long deployments. I guess it's more of a maritime thing than a leathersmith thing?

Anyway, 'great holster!
    Last edited by WHEC724; August 17th, 2010 at 11:11 PM.

Nice work!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well done! The cuts look even and smooth and I like the color. Leather is naturally beautiful. For a good cheap polishing option, try some KIWI Neutral Shoe Polish. Wipe the piece clean, add polish, brush well, then use a cloth to buff it up. It comes out quite nicely.

Congratulations!
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I like it. I've been dabbling a bit myself lately in a few holsters, and I really like the natural look, even though I have yet to make one.

Here's what I can see on your holster. I don't think the single clip is going to stabilize your gun. I suggest adding another in front. I made one with a single in the rear, and later added a second loop, and that made the holster secure, and comfortable.

This is the one:

Secondly, I would bury the clip between the layers, and make a slit so that only the portion of the clip showing is the front part that goes over the belt. You need to stitch around the clip, and be sure not to glue the area where the clip will be. That will stop any lateral motion of the clip. Use a #6 or #8 Tee Nut to secure the clip.

This is an extremely comfy holster I made, but I wish I had figured out that I could have buried the clips.

Third: increase your pressure when boning. That's going to help secure your gun. get it especially tight around the trigger guard. It's not easy, and it's even harder with heavier leather. I found it helpful to use household tools.; the curved part of a spoon, the end of a sharpie.

Good luck, and have fun! I am.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Decided to try my hand at a IWB 1911 style holster on this rainy Tuesday afternoon. It's ugly, but daddy loves it and it's pretty comfortable

Here's a couple pics.

Never tried the dyes, thought about black, but that would mean a trip out in the rain, so decided to go O' natural.

Tips welcome!

GBK
    It looks great man! Don't sweat the looks stuff. Who is going to see it tucked in your belt anyway. I would pay a lot more for comfort than I would pretty. Again...nicely done!!!
    Best Regards from Minnesota,

Rick

Links