Cheaper alternative to "Blue Guns" or "Red Guns?" - Page 2

Cheaper alternative to "Blue Guns" or "Red Guns?"

This is a discussion on Cheaper alternative to "Blue Guns" or "Red Guns?" within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ABC111 The information still should be somewhat correct Springer. If there is a particular Blue Gun you are wanting to work with, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ABC111 View Post
    The information still should be somewhat correct Springer. If there is a particular Blue Gun you are wanting to work with, let me know. I might have it and would be more than hapy to loan it to you.
    Thanks, but I would have it for quite a while because I would be experimenting. I have the design about 80% complete in my head, but implementing it is another matter. So is finding a certain type of hardware.

I think if I get closer to trying it, I'll pick up a Blue or Red Gun based on one of my own guns and give it a go.

But thanks for the offer!

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I have dozens of dummy guns, and add others as demand requires. I have used Ring's Blue Guns, ASP Red Guns, and Duncan's cast aluminum. There really are no cut-rate sources for any of these. Typically, adding another dummy costs around $50 delivered.

As noted above, many suppliers catalog training guns but do not actually stock the pieces. They take the order, then have Ring's, ASP, or Duncan's produce it.

A substantial part of my business is holsters for vintage and out-of-production handguns, which are very seldom available as dummies. My personal collection includes several, and I will purchase actual handguns when there is good demand for the holsters. The handgun will be paid for with the first 8 or 10 orders and the cost is a tax-deductible business expense for me. Used dummy guns have little value to anyone. Good quality firearms only go up in value and demand.

Since the OP is considering making a holster or two for his personal weapons I would suggest simply using those weapons for forming the holsters. As long as the weapons are cleaned and oiled properly there should be no damage done, and the fit will be as good as it can get.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

It's funny but I was actually thinking about this the other day. What would happen if say a customer wanted a custom holster made for a gun that the holster manufacturer did not have a blue gun for, and they struck a deal where the customer purchases the blue gun and ships it to the holster maker as partial payment for the holster. The customer pays the same total price because he gets credit for the blue gun and the holster manufacturer gets the blue gun for future use. Win, win?

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    It's funny but I was actually thinking about this the other day. What would happen if say a customer wanted a custom holster made for a gun that the holster manufacturer did not have a blue gun for, and they struck a deal where the customer purchases the blue gun and ships it to the holster maker as partial payment for the holster. The customer pays the same total price because he gets credit for the blue gun and the holster manufacturer gets the blue gun for future use. Win, win?
    It happens

Quote Originally Posted by ttsail View Post
    It happens
    It certainly does!
    I've worked a few deals where the customer requires a holster for a pistol that I don't have a mold gun for. If the model is not that popular, I offer to buy the Blue Gun if the customer buys 2holsters. Another win-win.
    Randy

Make Your Own Blue Gun

In my work I cast pieces on a regular basis from high density polymers using a silicone mold. If you have a weapon you need a plastic replica of to make a holster with it's easy enough to cast your own. It's not that expensive, and a good bit less to make than to buy. You would need something like a Food Saver vaccuum, and the material for the mold, and the casting resin. Epoxy Resin, Urethane Foam, Silicone Mold Making Rubber-AeroMarine Products is where I get mine, and it's quality, but there are other places that sell basically the same thing. I use the AM 128 Silicone Rubber RTV for the mold. and cast the AeroMarine Polymer Casting Resin (Off-White). If you really want a blue gun, or any other color they have coloring also, but for a pattern for a holster I use the off white color that the resin is without coloring. That resin when cured is very tough. Don't buy more silicone or resin than you will use in a year. That's about the life expectancy of it. The mold is resuable countless times, but how many blue guns does one need to make holsters for the same weapon?

I don't have any special ties to Aero Marine other than they are one of my suppliers, and I don't care to make any blue guns for anyone else other than for my own use. If I can help with info on your doing yours contact me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links