Which gun to carry in an ankle holster?

This is a discussion on Which gun to carry in an ankle holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't have either. I do carry a S&W M&P 40 compact (similar in size to G27) in a Galco ankle lite. I have no ...

View Poll Results: Which one for ankle carry?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 27

11 22.00%
  • S&W 642

39 78.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which gun to carry in an ankle holster?

I don't have either. I do carry a S&W M&P 40 compact (similar in size to G27) in a Galco ankle lite. I have no problem with it.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Thanks everyone for your input.

I ordered a Galco Ankle Glove from Jamie at Rogue Elite, (one of the sponsors here).
    Proud NRA member

VIP Member
    I carry my S&W M&P 340 in a Galco Ankle Holster occasionally. It works very well!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I ankle carried my S&W 637 while I had it. I must have been doing it wrong cause it was the most uncomfortable carry I have ever tried. And that was an Airweight! I can't imagine A G27! I chose the 642.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Thanks everyone for your input.

I ordered a Galco Ankle Glove from Jamie at Rogue Elite, (one of the sponsors here).
    Sorry I didn't mention for which gun...the 642.
    Proud NRA member

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Carrying with an ankle rig whether it be your primary or a backup is a whole different animal and takes considerable time to get used to and a lot of training. Before I retired I carried either a S&W "J" Frame or Colt Cobra as a backup in this fashion. I acxtually prefer thise style of carry for long auto trips as the gun is very accesible. Nowadays I carry a Walther P99c as a backup, a gun very similar to a G26 or 27 and feel not only well armed but comfortable wearing it. Personally I prefer a small 9mm or the M&Pc in 357siig I'll soon be purchasing vs a .38 however either will do the trick and I suggest you carry whatever you fell most comfortable with.

You can easily carry a J frame S&W on your ankle. There's not a lot of time required to get used to the weight. I carried a Model 60 as a BUG for almost 28 years. Not even noticed. I've got a 340PD on my ankle right now.

You also can carry that G27 if you have a good rig and some patience with the weight on your ankle. It's NOT a 'put it on and love it' scenario. You're going to have to wear it for at least 4-6 hours per day. After about a week, you'll be OK with the extra ankle weight. Your walking will smooth out and it will become more natural.

I've carried my G27 in an ankle rig and it's fine. You need a good rig (I'd suggest 5 Shot Leather) and PRACTICE. There are many advantages to carrying on your ankle. Fast presentation is not one of them, but in many scenarios, it is the best method of carry.

Try it yourself, but again, have some patience.

The G27 is a little chunkie for the ankle, I like a small wheel gun for the backup=642 Good luck

I once tried an ankle rig but I kept banging my ankles together (PAINFUL!) and it was too difficult to overcome the automatic instinct to cross my legs when seated for more than a moment, causing the cuff to ride up and expose the weapon. Also, I always felt so ill balanced I started to walk like that Marty Feldman character in Young Frankenstein. EYE-gor.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Everything is a tradeoff. Your J Frame is 5 shots, your Glock 10-11. Again, you need to wear the gun in the holster for awhile. Feeling ill balanced is natural, but will be reduced as your body compensates for the weight. I have always used a Galco Cop Wallet on my weak-side ankle, which either carries a speed strip for the J Frame or an extra mag for the Glock. It helps balance you out as well. J Frame is lighter, Glock heavier, but better caliber and capacity. Trade-offs/

I also pull my sock OVER the bottom of the holster to minimize the holster appearance. Someone mentioned this to me in the past.....if anyone every asks you if that's a gun on your ankle.....the quick retort is no,...that's my colostomy bag. I love that line.

I wear a S&W 642CT in an uncle Mike's ankle holster and love it... it is used as a BUG. It also accomodates my Kel-Tec P3AT, Bunker

I would go with the J frame.The Glock is too big and heavy.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I carry a G26 using a Gould & Goodrich - Boot Lock Ankle Holster. It's SUPER comfortable...I don't even notice it's there. The only reason why is because the ankle holster attaches to the outside of your boot and not to your leg.

I tried several regular ankle holsters that attach to you leg and it was way to uncomfortable, even with a little 38 snub. The downside is that it takes up more room than a regular holster, since you have your boot and then the holster on top of it. So it's not going to work with all pants.

I have carried a 642 in a Renegade for years, and have tried several brands. It is easily best for me with my style of jeans and shoes. Someone mentioned that a revolver fits better because the cylinder fits between the bone and Achilles tendon, and that is true. In addition, the grip of the revolver is smaller and less heavy, carries closer to the leg, and therefore has less tendency to print. With the right kind of footwear, like the duty boot rig and maybe loose-legged pants of stiff material, a person could carry the bigger gun. I have a DeSantis rig that works great with my high-topped duty boots an uniform pants, but is not nearly as good as the Renegade in soft clothes with low topped or dress shoes. i am at the point that I think that it is not just buying the right gun, holster, and belt, it is integrating all the things into the clothing you wear or matching your clothing to the gun carry.
    What Would Gumby Do?

I tried out my Galco Ankle Glove this week with the 642. After wearing the 642 for a couple of hours, I'm sure glad I did not get a holster for the Glock 27. Definately not as comfortable as wearing on the belt, but it sure disappears down there.
    Proud NRA member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links