Which gun to carry in an ankle holster?

This is a discussion on Which gun to carry in an ankle holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I need to carry deep concealment dressed in slacks and a golf or dress shirt and no coat or jacket, I usually carry my ...

View Poll Results: Which one for ankle carry?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glock 27

11 22.00%
  • S&W 642

39 78.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which gun to carry in an ankle holster?

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar

Which gun to carry in an ankle holster?

When I need to carry deep concealment dressed in slacks and a golf or dress shirt and no coat or jacket, I usually carry my LCP in my right front pocket.

I am considering an ankle holster for either my S&W 642 OR Glock 27 allowing me to carry more firepower. I am asking your opinion on which one you would recommend carrying on the ankle. At this time I'm not looking at other options, (thunderwear, IWB tuckable holsters, etc.).

The Galco Ankle Glove looks to be a pretty comfortable and stable holster...any other suggestions?
    Proud NRA member

2. Remove Ads

i think the Glock would be too heavy and thick for ankle carry.i would recommend the S&W 642..i carry mine all day in a DeSaintis ankle holster..very comfortable and i forget it's even their..

Maybe I have not tried the proper ankle rig, but to me even a LW j frame is too much.

cmb
    I carry a Taurus 85 Ultralite in an Uncle Mike's with a snap retention for the gun and a calf strap. My IWB holsters are not real expensive at all 10$ and I mak my own pocket holsters, but I would recommend buying a good ankle holster. I am happy with the Uncle Mike's so far, though I have my eye on a don hume ankle wrap, the leather and the calf skin would be great. I also like the molded kydex but couldn;t fin one with a claf strap at the big gun shop. If I will have it one for an extended period I have a piece of leather I wrap around my leg under the calf strap, just to keep the velcro and nylon from irritating my leg (my socks do not come up that far. I also only wear it in conjunction with another pistol somewhere on my person... and also with pants of a reasonable weight and length. Thin microfiber pants seem to print a lot more and the length I prefer is touching the top of my shoes when I wear low flat loafers...

cmb
    The rig makes a huge difference for me on the ankle... the most concealable thing I tried was a belly band cut down, it don't get any thinner than that elastic but it hurt my skin at the bend of the ankle/foot and the cylinder dug into my shin, worked ok for my P32 but drawing that little pocket gun on the ankle is not easy nor fast for me, the Jframe is shaped right and has enough grip.

I like the cam lock strap too for the main strap attached to the holster!

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I have a couple friends who use and highly recommend the Galco Ankle Glove. Carry whatever you want of course but given the choice's you asked about I'd personally go with the 642.
    For God, Family and Country!

I would stay with the 642 as a an ankle gun. I have carried both, and while the G27 is doable. I prefer jfames for the ankle.

I would vote for the 642. I carry one, from time to time, but not in an ankle holster. I could never get the draw down out of an ankle holster.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

I carry my S&W M&P 340 in a generic Uncke Mikes ankle holster daily. It is even more comfortable then my LCP is on my ankle because the revolver cylinder fits great between my ankle bone and Achilles. Plus the holster is about half the price of the Galco ankle glove.
    I have carried the G27 on my ankle before and find it to heavy and cumbersome for ankle carry. Plus most of my pants didn't conceal it very well.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Cool

I carried a G 27 for about 10 minutes once on the ankle and immediately went back to my 638. I am not a fan of the ankle rig but if you must use one then carry your J-frame.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I usually carry my 442 in an ankle holster as my BUG, while my G27 (EDC) is IWB. But, once in a while I have to go in deep concealment mode and then the 442 becomes my EDC in a Smartcarry and the G27 the BUG in ankle holster. Both ankle holsters are Bianchi Triad, which have worked well for me. I don't recommend ankle carrying the G27 if you do a lot of walking. If I ankle carry the G27 for a couple of days and walk a lot, my leg tends to fatigue.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Check out the Deluxe Ankle Holster at bluestonesafety.com or the Renegade Model 50 or Model 500 "Cozy Partner" (I think gmstactical.com carries them). In 35 years of street policing I have ALWAYS carried a backup gun and have tried untold number of ankle holsters. Both are the most comfortable, by far, of any I have tried- with Bluestone's having a slight edge. That being said, the Bluestone is a little bit bulkier because of the foam padding over the ankle which makes it so comfortable. The Bluestone also carries, securely and comfortably, my Glock 26, S&W 340 PD or my Ruger LCP. I also like that it has a back up strap to help keep it on in the event of a tussle. I have only used the Renegade for S&W J Frames. For duty or for a bigger handgun I would use the Bluestone. For off duty or concealed carry of a small revolver I would go with the Renegade.

Me, id go for the Glock. Ive carried my PT111 Ankle holster before.

As much as I love my G27, it is not a good choice for ankle carry IMO. I'm not a huge fan of ankle carry at all, but if you must, the 642 would be a better choice.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    642 .......but only if a HAD to make the choice. I don't care for the ankle carry at all.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links