Question regarding conceal and comfort with new holster

This is a discussion on Question regarding conceal and comfort with new holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, picked up a galco summer comfort holster, whack I really dig. However, is there a break in period for your body to get used ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding conceal and comfort with new holster

Question regarding conceal and comfort with new holster

Ok, picked up a galco summer comfort holster, whack I really dig. However, is there a break in period for your body to get used to carrying? Today is my first day carrying and I'm wearing it roughly 2:30-3:00. It seems my hip is taking a lot of pressure. Almost to the point where I should take the holster off. I really don't want to wear it past 3:00, as my shirt always rides whenever I bend down and don't want to have grip pointing out.

Is their something I'm missing here or should I try something else?

I'm carrying a glock 26...

Thanks.
    Matt

2. Remove Ads

You can reduce the chance of printing by bending at your knees, like you have a bad back, instead of at the waist. Also, reach for things on top shelves with the opposite side hand.
    That said, may I suggest you move the holster rearward in about 1/2 inch increments until you find the "sweet spot?"
    I think it is Thunder Ranch's Clint Smith who says "carrying is comforting, not comfortable." But it does get better with continued use, kind of like getting used to a new saddle or bicycle seat.
    Good luck.
    "A gun is a tool, Marion. No better and no worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." --from "Shane" (Alan Ladd) -1953

A gun and holster can weigh 2 lbs or more. It'll take a little getting use to.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

In ten or twelve years, you won't even notice it.

Ok, this may also be a dumb question...but, is a gun belt necessary? I'm currently using one that is not a gun belt. My right side of pants, where the gun is...sags a little.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlomeli View Post
    Ok, this may also be a dumb question...but, is a gun belt necessary? I'm currently using one that is not a gun belt. My right side of pants, where the gun is...sags a little.
    Yes, it make a huge difference. Most store bought (fashion) belts are not designed to carry that much weight. A good gun belt will help take the load and distribute it. This will eliminate the sag and will greatly increase your comfort. And, yes, they cost more, but they are worth every penny and more.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    road Runner is right; a good stiff belt is the foundation and makes a world of difference. A true gun belt is great but it's having a 1.5" belt that's ultra still and won't sag or roll, even a little. Next is the holster. Galco's a good holsters but in my opinon they tend to be thick and chunky. You may find later that other, better holsters will feel a lot better.

Consider "cant", the angle of rake on the holster. Sometimes having a more aggressive rake makes the carry more comfortable.

The idea to move the holster in 1/2" increments is a good one! Try it forward and backward and you'll probably find out that there is a "sweet spot".

Next consider what the preassure point is. Is it the muzzle poking the hip a bit? Or is it just the flat? If it's just the flat then the cant plus a quality belt and thinner, stiffer holster can make all the difference in the world. If it's the muzzle area poking, moving the gun or a different rake can make a lot of difference.

Now you know why so many of us have a "holster box" filled with different holsters we've accumulated over the years! Read up on guns and holsters and ask what others are using for your particulat gun.

And yes, it takes a bit of getting used to and some experience to know what level of discomfort is normal. Let's face it, walking around with a large steel 1911 .45 ACP is not going to be as comfortable as carrying a Kahr PM9 IWB. It's a lot of variables and it's always a compromise.

Gideon

Ditto on the above thoughts...it's never going to be like wearing a pair of comfortable jeans, there will always be a bit of 'discomfort' but you'll find a place on your waist that will be the most comfortable for you and that's the sweet spot.
    I know in my case, in the summers I'll wear a Don Hume owb leather holster, it rides higher than the Cross Breed I carry in the winter (iwb) but is more comfortable in the summer heat and less likely to absorb persperation as the CB does. But the interesting thing is, if I don't get the belt (double thick heavy) on just the right hole (I even mark it with black magic marker) the holster will start to slip over my hip bone.
    It's all in finding your comfort zone...just hang in there and keep experimenting with different locations, sometimes even one inch can make a big difference.....and different adjustments of tightness on your belt.
    Hang in there, in a few weeks you will find the perfect fit and be comfortable when carrying.

Administrator
    Wear it at approximately 3:30 and bend differently and buy a few longer shirts.

Since you're carrying a GLOCK 26 why not opt for an OWB holster that cants the gun forward and wear that behind the hip?

It's about the most comfortable way I've ever found to carry and your GLOCK 26 will conceal easily that way as long as you can wear a slightly oversize & untucked shirt.

One like this by UBG Holsters would do the trick:

http://www.ubgholsters.com/

My 2 cents on the belt is get one with seven holes 3/4 inches apart (ie - Beltman) rather than the standard 5 holes, 1 inch apart. Much easier to adjust for comfort.
    "A gun is a tool, Marion. No better and no worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." --from "Shane" (Alan Ladd) -1953

You guys are great! Thanks for the advice.

mlomeli;
    A good quality dual layered gun belt is a must for carry. Once you try one, you won't go back.

Good luck.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

First, learn to stoop or kneel. You have to dress around the gun.

It sounds like the holster is riding right on the point of your hip bone. Move it 30 minutes forward or rearward and see how that feels.

A good gunbelt makes all the difference in the world. No sag AT ALL.

Don't worry too much about printing. Most people wouldn't recognize a gun if you shoved it up their nose. A bulge under your shirt could be anything - a cell phone, a electronic day planner/recorder, or any other belt-carried device.

Quote Originally Posted by mlomeli View Post
    However, is there a break in period for your body to get used to carrying?
    Whatever break-in period exists in order to get comfortable with having something stuffed IWB between your belt and body, it's longer than one day, I can tell you that much. It depends completely on: your selection of holster; where you wear it in relation to your body's protrusions; how "fat" your gun+holster is; how much grip there is to remain concealed, compared to how you move to accommodate the grip length; the quality of your garments in terms of their suitability for concealing what you're carrying. The answer likes in altering one or more of those elements, guaranteed.

I would suggest starting with the comfort element. If you don't fix that, you won't want to carry, irrespective of whether you're keeping it concealed at all times. Try a variety of holsters, ensure you have an exceptional belt that can carry the gun's weight and spread the load, and ensure your pistol has a size/shape that allows positioning at a spot along your waist that allows for reasonable comfort. Then, ensure you have suitable covering garments. You might well need to rethink your approach to dressing. Think in terms of layers and patterns, which will give you options for covering up the shape, beyond merely covering up the gun itself.

Great belt, great holster, decent firearm, placed at a spot of comfort along the beltline, covered at all times with one or more appropriate covering garments. That's the trick. Can't tell what combination will work for you, as all body shapes and gear/clothing choices are different. Read, read, read ... and then try some options. At some point, you'll likely find a combination that'll work. If you don't consider OWB or pocket carry.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    IMG00141-20100822-1730.jpg

did this work? my first attempt to attach a photo.

Sometimes I take my Summer Comfort (cheap other version) and wear it outside the pants like this, just attached to the belt. Or put the snap straps between a belt loop for more stability. Cinch up with the Wilderness belt.

Maybe you have already thought of this but to me it was a revelation.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links