Where can you carry the biggest firearm?

This is a discussion on Where can you carry the biggest firearm? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know everybody is different and carry different guns in different locations on their person. I see people carrying full size 1911's while some have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can you carry the biggest firearm?

I know everybody is different and carry different guns in different locations on their person.
    I see people carrying full size 1911's while some have a hard time concealing a snubby.

My question varies person to person, but I'm curious where you personally feel comfortable carrying the biggest gun.

For example, if you EDC a compact at 3:00 on the hip, if you had to move to a full size firearm is there an area of your body that you find conceals a bigger handgun better?

I currently pocket carry an LCP in the summer. I'm looking to start carrying my glock 23 more often but IWB or OWB isn't working as well as my old Glock 26 did.

Just looking for opinions on carry locations. Thanks

Derek

That small bit of extra size can make a huge difference. Sometimes it's easier and more effective to change your clothing. For instance, with that 23, try wearing an untucked, unbuttoned short sleeve shirt over a light t shirt. Now you cancomfortably carry that 23 iwb or owb without fear of printing .

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    There are a lot more variables than people think but start with a good foundation. The belt is where it starts. 1.5" min in my opinion and a true gun belt, or at least a super stiff belt. then a good holster. The holster design makes a big difference. It's all trial and error unfortunately but there's no way around that. The, (for me) holster cant versus the gun barrel length has a lot to do with whether I'm comfortable at 3:00, 3:15-3:30, or 2:30. For me the steeper cant (angle) keeps the butt of the gun pointed more up versus out and to the back. Combine that with the size of the gun and it it's a larger gun like a RIA 1911 w/4" barrel, I find a steep cant with the gun worn just immediately in front of 3:00 works best. Your body shape in the hip area and what kind of spare tire you're packing has a lot to do with this as well. For the larger guns I find more cant and getting just ahead of 3:00 works well. But for the larger guns a good belt and holster design are critical. Another key is the right waist size on the pants. I like for the belt and holster to hold the gun tight to me, not the pants. Can't explain it but there's a difference.

Hope this helps but truthfully, it's trial and error but again, the biggest step forward I ever took in OWB and IWB carry comfort and concealability was starting to use good belts and certain holster designs.

And remember, carry rigs are like shoes, what fits perfectly for one doesn't fit good on another even if they have the same shoe size!

Gideon

Good holster good belt, and I carry my 23 at the 4-430 right at the curve of the hip and back
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

When I carry my 1911 its usually about 3:00 or just a little in front of that with a good forward cant to keep the long grip from sticking out too much. My XD subcompact is much smaller than my 5" 1911 and I find it uncomfortable in this position even though its shorter the thickness makes small of back carry at 6:00 a better choice.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    My USP .40 is my larger of the 2 handguns that I carry. Since it is a winter carry gun, I carry it in a horizontal shoulder holster, strong side belt holster, fannypack holster, leather concealment vest holster pocket, and plannerbook holster (for shower/porch carry and for temporary car storage).

With a sling...
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar

A full size 1911 is actually easier to conceal than a lot of smaller pistols. It's thin, which is a big part of concealability, the barrel goes down your leg whether iwb or owb. It's more about weight when it comes to 1911'a, if you have a good rig weight means very little. If you are carrying beltless shorts then the weight becomes an issue.

It also depends on how you are built as to where you carry. Big shouldered small waist people can conceal better than say an apple shaped person. The shirt drapes out more.
    If I get cranky It's because the VA is changing my meds again.
    NRA and DAV life member.
    1911Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Derek33 View Post
    I know everybody is different and carry different guns in different locations on their person.
    I see people carrying full size 1911's while some have a hard time concealing a snubby.

My question varies person to person, but I'm curious where you personally feel comfortable carrying the biggest gun.

For example, if you EDC a compact at 3:00 on the hip, if you had to move to a full size firearm is there an area of your body that you find conceals a bigger handgun better?

I currently pocket carry an LCP in the summer. I'm looking to start carrying my glock 23 more often but IWB or OWB isn't working as well as my old Glock 26 did.

Just looking for opinions on carry locations. Thanks

Derek
    I have a Galco Summer Comfort for my 23 that conceals it well. It even fits my 5" 1911 and 4" 1911. It sits at 300.

I also use a Shielded Holster for my Ruger SP101 (loaded with 357 Magnum Golden Sabers) and the Glocks 23 and 27. It sits well at 3:00, 4:00.

I don't let the summer heat get to me to carry a lighter gun or smaller caliber.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by saltysquid View Post
    A full size 1911 is actually easier to conceal than a lot of smaller pistols. It's thin, which is a big part of concealability, the barrel goes down your leg whether iwb or owb. It's more about weight when it comes to 1911'a, if you have a good rig weight means very little. If you are carrying beltless shorts then the weight becomes an issue.

It also depends on how you are built as to where you carry. Big shouldered small waist people can conceal better than say an apple shaped person. The shirt drapes out more.
    Agreed, the longer barrel hits the "hip" and forces the grip frame in towards my side.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

The 23 is larger and heavier so it will be slightly harder to conceal and not quite as comfy as the 26. But it is attainable. I've been carrying my 27 in a Milt Sparks SS II. But I also can effectively conceal my 23 and 19 in one of Rocky's Black Ops (Pure Kustom). I can carry either one all day long with no issues. I always carry in the same spot which is about 3:30 - 4.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    With a sling...
    Nice!

I like mine on tracks and a turret!

But seriously...

Crossdraw works well for a number of reasons. Weight distribution is better (IMHO) when the gun is in front of the hip. Easier to reach in a variety of situations too.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

GM
    I probably will be hanged for saying this, but I think that a 1911 is much easier to conceal than the G19/G23.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    I have Kholsters for all my carry guns and they hide out at 3:30 to 4:00. I can conceal my G21 easily here down to my S&W 642. The smaller guns also have pocket rigs that i use from time to time, but his thread is about larger guns. I don't have a 1911 - working on that - but the G21 is pretty good size.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links