Three holsters for the Keltec PF9 compared

This is a discussion on Three holsters for the Keltec PF9 compared within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, I wanted to share my opinion on three of my left handed IWB holsters for my Keltec PF9: Front view, from left to ...

Thread: Three holsters for the Keltec PF9 compared

Three holsters for the Keltec PF9 compared

Hi All,

I wanted to share my opinion on three of my left handed IWB holsters for my Keltec PF9:

Front view, from left to right: Comp-Tac MTAC, High Noon Hidden Ally, Crossbreed Mini-Tuck.

Back view.

Comp-Tac MTAC with PF9 inserted.

High Noon Hidden Ally with PF9 inserted.

Crossbreed Mini-Tuck with PF9 inserted.

Wearing Comp-Tac MTAC.

Wearing High Noon Hidden Ally.

Wearing Crossbreed Mini-Tuck.

Comp-Tac MTAC on top, Crossbreed Mini-Tuck on bottom.

Stats:

Holster Approx cost Thickness w/o gun Thickness w/gun Spacing between belt clips
    Comp-Tac MTAC $ 90.00 26 mm 34 mm 165.1 mm (6.5”)
    High Noon Hidden Ally $ 45.00 45 mm 48 mm N/A, single clip
    Crossbreed Mini-Tuck $ 78.00 26 mm 27 mm 177.8 mm (7.0”)

These are my ratings (1-10, 1=worst, 10=best):
    Holster Appearance Comfort Value Ease of Draw Ease of reholstering Total (50 points possible)
    Comp-Tac MTAC 8 8 5 9 7 37
    High Noon Hidden Ally 7 5 9 6 1 28
    Crossbreed Mini-Tuck 8 9 8 9 9 43

General Comments:
    Holster Comments

Comp-Tac MTAC Nicely finished, very soft leather. Dyeing was very uniform. Belt clips extended below holster and had to be trimmed (shortened) to fit for comfort reasons. Reholstering was more difficult than the Crossbreed because the thin, soft leather on the MTAC collapsed more than the horsehide on the Mini-Tuck after the gun was removed. Kydex part was well made, and had full muzzle coverage. Retention was excellent. This holster allows for different Kydex shells to be used (for different guns). Due to its softness and plastic clips, it was the slowest on and off the belt.

High Noon Hidden Ally Excellent value for the money. Leather was thin and soft. Reholstering was almost impossible, as the opening totally collapses after the gun was removed. Required plastic bag break in technique. Single metal clip was very strong, but more noticeable that the other two holster’s clips. Retention was excellent. Due to its low riding style, it was difficult to get a full combat firing grip. Due to its single clip, it was the quickest on and off the belt.

Crossbreed Mini-Tuck Kydex shell was a perfect fit (slightly better than the MTAC), though it did not have full muzzle coverage. The horsehide was very stiff, but proved to help reholstering by not collapsing after removing the gun. Due to its stiffness, it was the 2nd quickest on and off the belt. The only holster that was ever perfect right out of the plastic bag.

2. Remove Ads

Peabo, thanks for the great comparison. I had been wondering about the differences between the Mtac and Crossbreed. I personally think Crossbreed has better customer service, you also get a 2 week trial period, if you dont like the holster you can return it and he will give you a full refund of the purchase price, Mtac charges a 20% fee if you cancel an order even before the holster is shipped.

Links