What's your favorite way to carry an extra mag?

This is a discussion on What's your favorite way to carry an extra mag? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've tried an IWB double mag pouch, and it just doesn't work for me. I've tried an OWB double mag pouch, same thing. I'm looking ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite way to carry an extra mag?

What's your favorite way to carry an extra mag?

I've tried an IWB double mag pouch, and it just doesn't work for me. I've tried an OWB double mag pouch, same thing. I'm looking at a horizontal (along the belt) single and thinking it might work, but I'd love to hear your experiences. What's your favorite mag holder for cc?

2. Remove Ads

kpw
    http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=28
    I buy them for every pistol I might carry. As for the horizontal pouches, if your packing a Glock, I'll give you the Safariland pouch I have. Personally, I hate it.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Single mag holders work well for me. I have several. Some leather, and some kydex. Best single I've found were from an EBay seller named tactical kydex. Can't find them anymore, and I have the contact information and a phone number somewhere in my email history which may take forever and a day to find. I bought several for my Glocks and a couple for my SIG. They are a one piece design with tension adjustment and an integral "J" hook for the belt. I guess I could get a pic of them if really needed. I use them for single spare mag carry, and my wife and I also use them on occasion for the steel challenge matches. Other than that, I've used the Uncle Mike's kydex IWB and OWB now and then. IWB spare mag carrying isn't one of my favorites for sure. I can carry anything I have in the way of pistols IWB comfortably, but a spare mag in pouch of any kind just seems to always be a PITA for me. My favorite way to carry a spare mag is actually in my weak side back pocket, and even then I'm not real fond of having to sit down with it (especially with the Glock magazines) for fear of damaging the magazine and playing 15 round pick-up, find the spring, find the base...... in the middle of some restaurant. Lots of times my spare magazine just stays in my vehicle. You will find that going to a single mag holder is going to be much easier to deal with than a double in my opinion. Good luck with it.

Here's the pic. Phone bluetooth to overheating computer saved at photobucket!
    Last edited by Ram Rod; August 22nd, 2010 at 05:05 PM. Reason: add pic

kpw
    Ram Rod, the Tactical Kydex guy quit making them. He's got a post on GT saying he doesn't plan on offering them again. Too bad because they were nice pouches at an incredible deal.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

IWB, with no pouch, behind my cell phone, against my hip bone. Advantages, no pouch to buy, not easily discernable if cover garment flaps, fast, convenient, not uncomfortable, stays put.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Ram Rod, the Tactical Kydex guy quit making them. He's got a post on GT saying he doesn't plan on offering them again. Too bad because they were nice pouches at an incredible deal.
    Yes...indeed. Wish I had a few more of them actually. Thought seriously about buying a bunch and reselling them now I've got a local shop set up. I think I slipped under the wire getting the ones I have. Maybe late last year, or very early this year. Like you say....too bad really. Maybe I'll have to figure out something else. Wonder if there's a patent on them? I'm registered on GT now since I have a verifiable ISP email. Don't spend much time there at all. Thanks for the heads up on it though.

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    - It's really too bad. I had Tactical_Kydex make two Kahr PM9 magazine pouches last year. They are very well made and an incredible bargain.

Alessi Holsters Single Magazine Pouch. Belt loop snaps around the belt.
    "A gun is a tool, Marion. No better and no worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." --from "Shane" (Alan Ladd) -1953

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    IWB, with no pouch, behind my cell phone, against my hip bone. Advantages, no pouch to buy, not easily discernable if cover garment flaps, fast, convenient, not uncomfortable, stays put.
    Whatever works for you, I guess? But it would be bad if you crouched behind cover for a reload and the mag slid down your leg and is now stuck behind your bent knee. It may stay in place during normal everyday activities, but during a firefight you may have to run, duck crouch, fight (hand to hand) etc... I would invest in a mag pouch.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

JT
    In my teeth. I like the psycho look and the intimidation factor.
    Last edited by JT; August 23rd, 2010 at 01:07 PM.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I use this a lot and really like it.

http://www.desantisholster.com/store...mageLG/M38.jpg

I carry my spare mag in my front left pocket.

I've taken all my pants and either sewn or used safety pins to create a little magazine sized pocket inside the pocket. Holds the magazine comfortably and securely and doesn't cost anything.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I don't have a picture of mine but I use a brown leather sheath from a knife I bought years ago. My single stack .45 mag's for my S&W CS45 fit just right in it. It's very similiar to the one in the link I've included:

http://budk.com/ProductImages/500/A01%20BK946.jpg
    For God, Family and Country!

Lots of good ideas, and interesting to see what different things people have come up with. The tek-lock thing on the comp-tac looks interesting, but how bulky is that mechanism, anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Whatever works for you, I guess? But it would be bad if you crouched behind cover for a reload and the mag slid down your leg and is now stuck behind your bent knee. It may stay in place during normal everyday activities, but during a firefight you may have to run, duck crouch, fight (hand to hand) etc... I would invest in a mag pouch.
    I appreciate your concern, I do.
    I have a number of mag pouches.
    While anything is possible, I have tested this arrangement during movement drills, running, jumping, crouching, even tumbling with no problems and I am satisfied with its security.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links