Concealed Carry Gun for Women

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Gun for Women within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My girlfriend wants to get her concealed carry license and we are trying to decide on the best gun to get her for this. We ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry Gun for Women

My girlfriend wants to get her concealed carry license and we are trying to decide on the best gun to get her for this. We were thinking about the Ruger 38 LCR. Looking for some insight. I think a revolver would be good for her, and recoil probably needs to be low.

I also wanted to get some insight on what people are preferring for hip holsters for myself. I have a Glock 23 with a fobus holster, but unless wearing a jacket or sweatshirt it's pretty difficult to hide.

Thanks for all the help.

I also looked into the ruger lcr for my wife. She wanted low recoil as well. She opted for the Taurus 709 Slim (9mm). Due to being a snubbie, the recoil is going to kick more than a normal revolver.

People will bash the Taurus "model goes here", but if the manual is followed, it's an excellent option.

If the lcr is what she is after or a revolver in general...I'd also compare with the S&W air weight revolvers. Pretty much the lcr direct competition.

I don't have the 23, but I do carry my 26in a galco summer comfort iwb holster. I'm sure others will chime in to help as well.

Good luck and stay safe!

My wife is not strong enough to rack the slide on most semi-autos. Revolver was the ticket for her first gun. I have an LCR she shot it, but said it kicked a little too hard for her because she's had carpel tunnel surgery. The S&W 642 and 442 are the same. She ended up getting an old stainless steel S&W model 60 (.38 only). Heavier than the LCR but not as heavy as the SP101. Weighs 20 oz. She loves it. She also loves the LCP we got. Slide easy to rack on it.

And yes, I would stay away from Taurus. Heard too many horror stories.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by quackrack View Post
    My girlfriend wants to get her concealed carry license and we are trying to decide on the best gun to get her for this. We were thinking about the Ruger 38 LCR. Looking for some insight. I think a revolver would be good for her, and recoil probably needs to be low.

I also wanted to get some insight on what people are preferring for hip holsters for myself. I have a Glock 23 with a fobus holster, but unless wearing a jacket or sweatshirt it's pretty difficult to hide.

Thanks for all the help.
    Well, first off, I'll welcome you to the forum! Post up in the new members introductions when you get a chance.
    First off.......("we"?). Who's doing the thinking on this part? IMO...you need to have your GF find what's best for her, and she needs to pick it out with your help going around to local shops, testing, and finding what she likes. This can be dry fire and most likely will be. The feel in the hand, the trigger pull, manipulation of the given pistol. What you think best for her won't work in this ordeal. If you seriously love her and are interested in her self preservation, best to rule out any dollar amount as to the upcoming purchase. Life is worth more than dollars spent.
    "We"...again......let her go on her own. Enjoy watching her try anything she wants. If it's going to be something you both pick.....then let her keep looking. Choice of a personal protection piece is an individual ordeal....step back now. Pay for her CC course after she's chosen what's best for her. The only thing you can be at this point is support......for the questions, range time and ammo for the trials. Your girlfriend will love you so much more for being out of the way yet supportive. I've been there, and I know all too well not to manhandle things. Trust me. I enrolled my wife in a local CC class the minute she said that's what she wanted. I let her use my G19 for the course and she passed. In the months following, we went to several gun shops and she tried out various pistols. Couple of times we took them out for test runs (ammo and rental). I let her go on her own way. Low and behold, she decided on the G26. I couldn't have been more happy that she decided to be a Glock girl. Thing is.....I never stood in her way of anything else. She found it on her own. That way, I know she'll stick with it. Best advice I can give. Having a SO (significant other) that's into the same things like firearms and/or CC such as yourself is one bonus. Knowing how to help them advance and doing it tactfully will take you above and beyond all expectations. Don't step in and decide what the rules will be, and you'll be the better person. It goes a long way toward your partnership.
    You had a two-part question. Check in later or holler at me in a PM as to the G23 and carrying OWB. I'll send you a friend request just because.
    My absolute best to the both of you!
    sid1 likes this.

+1000 on what Ram Rod said. As a woman, I really appreciate and totally support what Ram Rod has advised and I couldn't have said it better myself!

Legacy

I'd suggest she shoots one of those lightweight .38s before buying one. I had a S&W 642 and that thing was a beast, and I'm not talking about using +p either. Really great for carrying because its so small and light, but I just didn't enjoy shooting it. Its in a new home now.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    My Glock 26 is the best shooting, most comfortable 9mm I've ever fired. I was totally amazed the first time I took it to the range. I've had .22's that kicked more. I've got a lot of safe queens but my Glock is just plain fun to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by quackrack View Post
    You might want to start a seperate thread with this question. But I would suggest a hybrid (kydex/leather) IWB (inside-waist-band) holster like the CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe, CompTac's MTAC, Kholster, The Answer, etc.. I have the SuperTuck for two of my guns, one of them is the Glock 19 (same size as your G23) and I couldn't be happier with the secure, comfortable, concealment it gives. Don't forget a good gun belt! It's just as important as a good holster.

Welcome to the forum. Good luck.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterGuns View Post
    I'd suggest she shoots one of those lightweight .38s before buying one. I had a S&W 642 and that thing was a beast, and I'm not talking about using +p either. Really great for carrying because its so small and light, but I just didn't enjoy shooting it. Its in a new home now.
    I have no problem with a 642. Standard loads aren't bad at all, and +P is manageable. It did take some getting use to, but once I developed proper technique, I found it to be not bad at all.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

cmb
    Welcome!

+1 on the gun belt, it don't have to be expensive but get a decent thickness and stiffness, I use dickies or whatever I find on sale

Alot of people here carry a gun at least the size of the G23 and at least the weight and adjusting the cant (tilt of the gun, angle of the gun to your body) and the position on your waist can change a lot in terms of comfort and accesibility and concealability.

+1 on letting her shoot before you buy, revolvers have a different feel from those micro semis, if she is carrying in a purse (the kind that has a secret compartment and you slip you hand in and shoot through the purse you may want to conider a revolver) but other than that be open to what she likes, have her check out corneredcat.com and wait to hear from some more of the ladies here, they carry everything from 1911's to med frame revolvers...

Ramrod gave you the best advice you could get on this subject. She needs to pick it out. It needs to fit her hand and she needs to be the one who picks it out. She needs to be comfortable with it or it is going to be left at home when the time comes. You can help her, but by all means, she MUST be the one who makes the decision on what she will carry. This gun will be for her to defend her life with. If that time comes, and I hope it never does, the gun needs to be one SHE loves. Not one you picked for her.

For what it's worth, my wife searched high and low, held many, many guns. Shot many guns and in the end, she picked a gun I would have never expected her to pick. She was always a revolver girl. She loves the things. And she is scary accurate with them. Her carry gun when she got her carry permit in Tennessee was a snub nosed .357, and she shot a 100% on the practical portion of the course. But, she decided she wanted to look around for something else with a little more capacity and better ease of reloading. That meant a semi auto. I told her to find what she wanted and what she was comfortable with and she set about the search. What she ended up going with is an XD sub compact .40 cal. She loves that gun and she shoots it very well. I was expecting a 9mm or something similar. But she picked it just as I picked my carry gun and as a result, she is very happy with it and never leaves the house without it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    I agree she needs to try out several different guns and find the one that she likes the best. Something easy for her to carry open or concealed. If it is too big or too heavy she will not carry it, it will most likely be left at home most of the time.
    sid1 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    My stepdaughter recently got her CC permit in Missouri where she lives. I had mentioned to her on several occasions that if she got her permit, I would buy her any gun she wanted. She flew down to FL. and I took her to the range and let her shoot my Glock 26, Walther PPK, Taurus 617, Kel-Tec P3AT, Lady Smith .38 and S&W 342 Titanium hammerless. She did not feel comfortable racking the slides on either semi. The Taurus was too big and heavy and bucked a little too much for her. She ended up with the lady Smith and I bought her a real good quality concealed carry purse to go with it. I prefer the S&W 342 because it's so light. The 5 .38 +P's weigh more than the revolver, but it does have a kick to it. Another pound or so in a woman's purse is hardly noticeable.

Have her choose by trying a number of guns.

My wife thought she would like a 642/442 but after buying and shooting it... it became mine. She loves her Bersa Thunder 380 and is deadly accurate with it and has no problem racking the slide and they have a darn good trigger right out of the box. She loves shooting her Bersa Tunder Ultra Carry 9mm also but is too big for a daily carry.

Note: My wife loves K-frame size revolvers just not j-frame guns.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

My wife has both a Taurus 605 and a Ruger LCR (with C-T). She loves both and they both fit the same holsters. The Taurus is heavier so theoretically has less recoil, but she says the recoil on the LCR is not at all objectionable. Her favorite holster is a FIST #1KB. It has adjustable cant, and she can wear it without a belt (keep in mind, a lot of women's pants do not have belt loops).
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links